Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help accessorizing my bedroom.
beesto
November 10, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Just moved in to my first house! The walls and carpet are shades of tan. I just bought these off white night stands and pale mint green comforter. I want to add contrast. Mainly looking to change the lampshades, add some inexpensive art work, and accessorize the nightstands and dresser. Can't change wall colors right now or add window treatments. If the mint green comforter doesn't work at all I could return it. Also, future ideas for wall color would also be welcomed. Thank you in advance.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Natalie
I'd keep the comforter, change out the shades on the lamps and definitely paint the walls. Check colors SW 6002 Essential Gray and SW 6003 Proper Gray (same paint chart) OR SW 7044 Amazing Gray and SW 7045 Intellectual Gray. An area rug will help break up some of the carpet. Good Luck!
November 10, 2012 at 5:06pm     
collettec
Think I'd go with a comforter with a base color in a cream given the cream and tan in the room. With a larger scale pattern on the comforter. Nothing too dainty, given the modern lines of the ceiling. I would start with the comforter in the cream base and other colors, then take one of the other colors as a possible wall color.
November 10, 2012 at 5:24pm   
Eric Williams
Another color that would be nice besides gray would be like a lavender, shown in this picture with off white dressers.
I would keep the comforter too, but then I would get some matching lamps, whole lamps not just lampshades.
A picture or artwork centered above the bed would look good..
Some choice curtains would look nice on the window instead of the blinds.
November 10, 2012 at 5:31pm     
Eric Williams
Another color that would be nice besides gray would be like a lavender, shown in this picture with off white dressers.
I would keep the comforter too, but then I would get some matching lamps, whole lamps not just lampshades.
A picture or artwork centered above the bed would look good..
Some choice curtains would look nice on the window instead of the blinds.
November 10, 2012 at 5:31pm   
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
I would keep the comforter....but add some of that mint green to your space. Could be great as lamp shades, art work and a few larger accent pillows.
November 10, 2012 at 5:43pm   
puttycake
How much light does this room get? If it gets a lot, then going with a darker color may work. I worked for Restoration Hardware and I also have painted rooms for over 40 years and this is what I have always suggested: get paint samples and paint POSTER BOARD NOT YOUR WALLS. Paint many boards and place them at different areas of the room--high, low, near windows and away from windows... this is a great time of year to experiment with paint ....there are still leaves on the trees and shortly they will be down so look at them now and again in a few weeks. Check them out and see if you them at different times of day--night, morning, a sunny day and a cloudy one. Consider your climate It is remarkable how the reflection of the leaves will change the color. I typically recommend warmer colors for a bedroom because grays and blues (although serene and beautiful) can also be pretty depressing in November, December, January, February, March and part of April. I tend to recommend bedroom colors that are on the warmer side. Painting a room of this size is a considerable expense of time and dollars and one you will feel you have to live with for a while. Consider carefully.

The lighting in the room is also important... "Up" lighting on the walls can make a tremendously dramatic change. Large plants would be nice.

A head board would be a very dramatic change. Check out the DIY websites. Essentially, they can made easily and quickly using foam, batting fabric stapled to plywood and attached with keyhole fasteners to the wall studs. Be sure that the height would exceed the height of the tallest person sitting in the bed and reaches down behind and beneath the top of the mattress by about 4 inches.

Have fun!!! Congratulations on your new home!
November 10, 2012 at 6:13pm     
smldesigns
The comforter is pretty but I'd look for something that goes with the walls if you aren't going to paint in the near future. I looked at Bed Bath and Beyond in their Tropical Bedding collection because you have the white washed nightstands. If you don't mind going in that direction, there are plenty that go with the wall color. When you click on them, you can also view them in a room. Based on my monitor a couple of them had your wall color. Also what really would help is a headboard. Also when you paint I would lose the accent wall, The way it appears to me is that your ceiling is lopsided - could just be the picture. Can the mirror fit over the dresser?
November 10, 2012 at 6:23pm     
Lee Poehler
Love your bedding choice. Matching Lamps, Yes. Lavender would look ok (not green carpet, though). Don't go to colors that blend...every good design needs contrast in colors and layers of texture. Color personally would be leaning to greens and browns, posted couple of pics. You need a head board and or art. move the full length mirror if possible.
November 10, 2012 at 8:28pm     
Lee Poehler
throw pillows, too
November 10, 2012 at 8:29pm   
decoenthusiaste
Hit the secondhand stores for two matching and bigger lamps. If you can squeeze paint into the budget, just paint the darker wall behind the bed another color from the final bedspread you buy that still works with the three lighter walls.
November 11, 2012 at 3:14am     
beesto
This is my first time using Houzz design dillema. How fun! Love hearing all the good advice. Thank you. Due to budget I will be moving on options slowly, but definitely needed input.
November 11, 2012 at 7:06am     
katesink
I would love to see an upholstered headboard. That is a big wall and you need to make the bed look more substantial.
November 11, 2012 at 7:15am     
Tash Dubbs
I would definitely invest In a headboard. I know target sells them online for very good prices. Also I would shift the nightstand on the right side of the bed closer to the wall and then move the bed and other nightstand closer to the right side. Which will allow more separated space for the stand up mirror. There is also some very nice wallpaper that you could add behind your headboard as an accent wall
November 11, 2012 at 7:17am   
Natalie
Hi again---if you want to keep the paint for now and invest in something which can be used later (different paint) here is an inexpensive rug you can add. The background color will look ash green/blue when placed on your carpet and it has your wall color as well as the color of your dresser in it. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Caravan-Medallion-Multi-Rug-5-x-8/6751220/product.html
A couple of inexpensive lamps too... http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Green-Melody-Wood-Bangle1-light-Table-Lamp-Vase-and-Candle-Holder-Set/5955379/product.html
Save money by making your own upholstered headboard (neutral fabric). http://www.ehow.com/how_2042635_make-custom-upholstered-headboard.html

Add pillows to bed and chair for color...
Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/73324186/decorative-throw-pillow-cover-18-x-18?ref=sr_gallery_17&ga_search_query=burnt+orange+and+blue+pillow&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all http://www.etsy.com/listing/111573153/throw-pillow-cover-decorative-cushion?ref=sr_gallery_6&ga_search_query=burnt+orange+and+blue+pillow&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all
November 11, 2012 at 7:42am     
janishill
Because the walls are painted a deep color and the mint comforter is pastel it jreally doesn't work very well. If it were my room I would buy a comforter with tan/beige and other deeper, richer colors. (see photos)

I would hang the mirror above the dresser. next I would take the smaller picture (that is hanging over the side table) and hang it over the other side table (centered and low) then I would take the other picture (that is hanging over the chair) and hang it over the table on the right to add balance. I would use this until I could have something big enough to hang over the bed.

Here's a away to make inexpensive (cheap) art: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/10-diy-wall-art-150457 and here's another: http://www.richmondmagazine.com/?articleID=c13430159d985d2dde724b1eecb6b06b

Shop thrift stores, yard sales, craigslist and consignment shops to find nice things at inexpensive prices.
November 11, 2012 at 7:44am     
beesto
Love seeing the pics! I can definitely see the browns and creams in the comforter working better.
November 11, 2012 at 7:51am     
Lee Poehler
seen this on HGTV under Candice Olsen's gallery and thought of your discussion
November 11, 2012 at 8:44am     
Sara Parker
Large folding screens make interesting headboards. See if you can find one you like or can recover or paint. I almost always like Candice Olsen's work. Check her on websites for ideas.
November 11, 2012 at 8:53am     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
consider returning the bedding and get either an solid wite/off white or one with a contrasting border...check out resale shops for two matching lamps that are much taller. measure the front to back size fo the night stand and dont have the shade larger than the depth. the lamps should be either colorful glass, ceramic, of ever clear glass....or you could have dark metal or gold.....silver.... .
November 11, 2012 at 9:00am     
beesto
Hi Lee! Yes, that HGTV picture is exactly the serene look I liked in the colors of the bedspread and the light night stands. I hadn't thought of dark brown and now I really loves how that looks. I can also picture the comforter having cream colors and adding color with pillows and lamps. Hmmm... what to do. I really like the bedspread but right now it looks washed out.
November 11, 2012 at 9:12am     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
remember to consider the WHOLE room ...not just the individual parts....each piece adds to the whole and if the whole looks great the individual pieces ....even if you only give them an 8 on a 1-10 scale the room can hit an 11+ as all the 8's work together
November 11, 2012 at 9:16am     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
all that to say......exchange the spread! its the large piece of interest and right now it is the weakest....the opportunity is there to be worked with and it should be either very strong of very 'not' strong and right now it is sorta ....sorta weakish interesting....which doesnt work
November 11, 2012 at 9:18am     
Natalie
LOL! Gary you're funny... The dresser and the comforter are the only two things I like in this space. Next would be the carpet. Right now everything just blends together-is very monochromatic-including the nightstands---except for the light comforter. I think paint would do wonders for the room-it's the least expensive thing to do and it will make the biggest impact and the newly purchased comforter and nightstands will look great against a different backdrop. :) CheerS!
November 11, 2012 at 9:29am     
beesto
Gary, I have been convinced. I am staring at it right now and it just looks WASHED OUT! It's frustrating to me that I don't have a knack for this, but thank god you guys are helping me. I guess it's a learning process! I am going to wrap it up now and keep hunting!!
November 11, 2012 at 9:30am     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
you can't require yourself to be good at everything
November 11, 2012 at 9:32am     
Natalie
Any light color against that wall color will look washed out...
Well I tried...
Good Luck!
[houzz=Remodeled Guest Suite][houzz=Lake Residence][houzz=Residence in California]
November 11, 2012 at 9:38am     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
here you go...http://www.walmart.com/ip/Chelsea-Frank-Group-Elise-Duvet-in-White/14701472
November 11, 2012 at 9:41am     
beesto
Natalie, my husband is with you. It's sparking good conversation. I appreciate it!!!
November 11, 2012 at 9:51am     
beesto
Gary, if you have the time can you see if this would work? The one you showed me doesn't come in a CA king. I'm worried the one I found doesn't have enough white even though it's still very light and similar to what you showed me.
November 11, 2012 at 3:06pm   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
GOOD JOB i found one are walmart ....try JCP as well
November 11, 2012 at 3:28pm   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
GOOD JOB i found one are walmart ....try JCP as well
November 11, 2012 at 3:28pm     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
as you study ur space consider the base boards ...see how the white is a key part of the space ....run with the white adding white will compliement the trim and bring things together
November 11, 2012 at 3:30pm     
beesto
Thanks Janishill. I am probably going to order a white duvet cover with tan trim and get a dark brown throw blanket and pillows on it. I need a duvet cover as well. Complicated by being an oversized King duvet which is harder to find. But I think I did with Gary's suggestion of the Chelsea Frank which I ended up finding in the bigger size. I will post pics of any updates. I'd like to get something done before Thanksgiving when lots of family are coming over to celebrate in our new house.
November 11, 2012 at 7:06pm     
Aja Mazin
It needs pillows.
November 11, 2012 at 7:08pm     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
good girl
November 11, 2012 at 7:50pm   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
good girl
November 11, 2012 at 7:50pm   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
consider a textured pillow or two....not a cotton print......
November 11, 2012 at 7:51pm     
smldesigns
As an FYI, I have found some beautiful and sometimes with feather inserts at TJ Maxx and Marshall's. Please post pictures as there has been a lot of interest in your dilemma. I have also purchased lamps from consignment stores and bought new shades or otherwise modified them. And don't forget Ebay.
November 11, 2012 at 8:08pm     
mrsemery03
if youre not planning to paint soon. i would exchange the spread. find something that has a cream background with various colors that area earthy and warm. looks a little too warm right now which is why a cream comforter would help. u can add tall dressing mirrors behind the nightstands to reflect light. By a large stretched canvass from michael's and cover it with some material. hang it over the bed. All the best!
November 12, 2012 at 12:53am     
greenthumb2
a european coverlet lays on the end of bed. can contrast with shams of same shade/design.

I won't paste links since you already have expert help here.

Sometimes, it is difficult to find something that sleeps/covers you the right way. What do I mean? As an example; down is light but bothers folks who overheat easily and/or have allergies, poly/cotton blends with heavy batting are pretty but often too heavy. I find having to make and unmake a bed bothersome and would rather have something beautiful and comfortable without adding to daily chores. A coverlet and shams take up very little space and are an easy bed make when you rise.

A very light weight comforter cover - if you are convinced this one needs to be different. Comforters are not a dime a dozen.
November 12, 2012 at 1:19am   
greenthumb2
comfortable comforters. had to clarify that one. :=) the coverlet and shams should add texture. taffeta, silk, ultra-suede (that is once you place the new comforter cover that you like from above) would all work. backdrop; fast fix are wall stickers that do not peel paint.

Also, a set of old doors, an old iron gate, or headboard made with something from your new bedding....a smoother flow. would love to see one natural wood item of some kind. rattan, bamboo, walnut if you are going with pumpkin, tans, chocolates. I tried to find a link to an example, but the pics are in the middle of trip advisor. Anyway, chocolate and this color with off white/butter creams is super relaxing. Enjoy your new home. Very exciting time.
November 12, 2012 at 1:32am     
kech7
Add some colour in form of comforter of pillows etc , ur room need colour. And remove tht mirror on corner as well. Good luck
November 12, 2012 at 2:20am     
lesliemahler
You have a great sized bedroom with beautiful warm paint and carpet. Here are a few suggestions for duvets that would work with your room the way it is now:
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/victoria-duvet-cover/?pkey=cduvet-covers-shams
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/wells-palampore-duvet-cover-sham-blue/?pkey=cduvet-covers-shams
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/duncan-stripe-duvet-cover-sham/?pkey=cduvet-covers-shams

If you went with a duvet you could use it over an old quilt you already have. And you don't necessarily have to purchase matching shams but could purchase inexpensive ones that coordinate. Best of luck!
November 12, 2012 at 6:56am     
Lee Poehler
really don't need to change your bedding. That's what gave me the thought of that headboard/art working in your space.

Your bedspread made me think sernie graden theme. Greens and browns as accents. Lamps, pillows, and headboard and/or art, for now. Soft or yellow Green paint later.

Though your paint is bold it will work...just need to balance with bold accents.

I was attempting to show you how a cool art piece for headboard would work with your current bedding.
Love the one in the picture, but tall shudders, country door, screen, iron gate, tuffed fabric, leather, ect. would be great. Instead of a headboard you could put a cool piece of art...think of a black and white print avaialbe at Walmart of tree hanging over a dock, but anything you love will work. Or even a very artistic mirror. Just add some pillows with texture and color, agian my mind goes green, but that is entirely up to your taste and liking.
November 12, 2012 at 7:01am     
beesto
Wow! Thank you to all for your thoughtful input! I have until Thanksgiving to start my most basic improvements and I will post pictures!!
November 12, 2012 at 7:54am     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
Have fun but stay focused
November 12, 2012 at 7:55am   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
Have fun but stay focused
November 12, 2012 at 7:55am   
beesto
Made two big moves- lamps and art. Decided to stay with the comforter because I loved the print. Here it is.
November 18, 2012 at 5:03pm     
mrsemery03
Looks good. Add pillows that incorporate your wall color onto the bed.
November 18, 2012 at 5:11pm     
Sara Parker
Looks lovely! I cannot see the print well but it seems to be picked up subtly in your new art. And, hey! It's YOURS and it only matters that YOU love it. Good work.
November 18, 2012 at 5:58pm     
Sara Parker
Looks lovely! I cannot see the print well but it seems to be picked up subtly in your new art. And, hey! It's YOURS and it only matters that YOU love it. Good work.
November 18, 2012 at 5:58pm     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
W E L L F I N E..........................................................Done good! The art could not be better.....and there is just enough space between the pillows and the art for an upholstered headboard when you are ready for it.....congrats
November 18, 2012 at 6:42pm     
greenthumb2
:=) hi beesto. beautiful, serene, and yours...
November 18, 2012 at 11:14pm     
Lee Poehler
beautiful!
November 19, 2012 at 2:19am     
decoenthusiaste
Isn't Houzz great encouragement to get it done?
November 19, 2012 at 3:08am     
pipsqueaky
WOW what a difference a lamp makes and a piece of wall art. I love the minimalist decor.
November 19, 2012 at 4:08am     
beesto
Thank you! This house discussion was amazing!! I thought I scored with the art. Glad to hear you agree Gary. I am still tempted to get these burnt orange lamps that would go so well with the art and change the comforter, but I found these green lamps and they went with my current comforter which I did find very serene. This was the less expensive route. I'm glad it works!
November 19, 2012 at 7:15am   
pavanneh
just changing the lights and adding the artwork did wonders for that room. I think the comforter works great, you just have to get the right accents to help pick it up. I think your comforter is great. Glad it can still work for you.
November 19, 2012 at 7:31am   
pipsqueaky
Yes, I haev posted for hlep on another thread I started and this place is amazing. I will need help with all my rooms once I get myself organized.
November 19, 2012 at 7:48am