powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Definitely need your opinion with staircase! What would you do?
frida19
November 10, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have a dilemna with our staircase. We want to make it more attractive and would like your opinion regarding the hand rail and balusters. We love modern designs and had in mind a metallic hand rail. My sister suggested staining the actual wood a darker color and adding glass. I have attached two pictures.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
frida19
This is second picture.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 6:38PM
Joanne Montgomery
very dark stain is a winner...depending on your budget, reface those stairs with oak hardwood treads from home depot...really nice product http://www.homedepot.ca/product/42-inch-x-10-1-8-inch-oak-stair-tread-cap-and-riser-kit/913518
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 6:54PM
olldcan
What do you mean by metallic? are you referring to Aluminum (silver colour)
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 6:58PM
mid_century_florida
Do they mean aluminum rods? Would look nice and modern.
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 8:41PM
yvonnecmartin
I think that they are nice as they are. What exactly is your objection?
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 9:59PM
Natalie
I think they're fine as is and seem to go with your decor. Do keep in mind that if you decide to go darker, they will be the most prominent thing in your space as your current color palette is fairly light to medium values. I say paint your walls a deeper color then see how the stairs look to you. I think the wall color on the upper level is too gold (clashes with the carpet) and the color on the lower level is too light-you could go 2 shades darker---I suggest painting the entire stairwell the same color... Check colors SW 6086 Sand Dune, SW 6087 Trusty Tan, SW 6093 Familiar Beige, and SW 6094 Sensational Sand for new wall color. Good Luck!
1 Like   November 10, 2012 at 10:37PM
reidsal
How much natural light do you get?
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 12:21AM
greenthumb2
I agree with Natalie's ideas. Stairs are important but can turn into the "focal point" of a room which is usually what we don't want unless you make them almost a work of art unto themselves. That option can be super expensive. Paint colors could do more for you. Also, if you like books for solid ideas, take a look at Susan Susanka's "the Not So Big House" (2 book collection) she gives great realm of ideas. best of luck
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 12:37AM
decoenthusiaste
Looking at the decor we can see - two oriental trunks, a mod clock and blue chair, I'd say your tastes are more eclectic than modern. Try the new (or refinished) stair treads and paint first. If you still want something modern, here's a bit of inspiration, lol.

2 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 2:53AM
charleee
I wouldn't do anything with the stairs. Instead, the wall with the butterfuly pics and the midmod clock, I would paint those a great color that goes with your furniture, which I can't really see what color it is.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 3:10AM
Joanne Montgomery
http://richardsharkey.com/AArt07.html - This pic is the direction I think you wanted to go with the glass and wood hand rail. This pic is a more traditional version but could be made more modern with a darker stain and no frosting on the glass.

Your stair case seems to be in a prominent position in your house, so if you choose to make it a feature, it would be fantastic. I don't know if you have high ceilings or other interesting design features to highlight, but if not, why not go for the stairs!

I agree with others that the paint could be "charged up" to inter-play with any remodel - for some ideas try crushed stone by SICO. It is a lovely gray with a hint of green to keep it warm. I can see from your mod clock you love things retro and modern. So do I, good luck! Some inspiration for paint http://www.sico.ca/En/tendances_13_temps.aspx
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 5:35AM
Lee Poehler
My personal fav, would encompass both "metalic" and dark stain, and even hit on the comment of making a work of art in and of self. Iron side bars and dark rick wood hand rail. While old world if kept with simpler pattern very modern too.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 6:12AM
Jill Suddendorf
I am not a fan of the existing railings AT ALL. Visually seems so heavy and makes your eyes "stop" rather than flow through to see the space. If I had this current look and the money to re-do, I would want this more open option. It adds the modern feel with fresh clean lines but the industrial element of the cable is softened by the cable color and the warm wood. On Houzz search "cable stair railings", there are a lot of lovely images. Good luck!
1 Like   November 11, 2012 at 6:25AM
PRO
Schroeder Design Group, NCIDQ, Licensed
You said you like modern, which is clean, not heavy.

Then no curves, fancy metal or heavy details. What is the style of your home overall, anything in particular?

See the photo;
http://www.trendir.com/archives/modular-staircase-rintal.jpg

Suggestion;
Rip out or paint out the large stringers ( wide diagonal wood planks at the base of the staircases )
Just lighten up the stair case with simple elements, simple metal spindles, not shiny, maybe pewter or oil rubbed bronze in color.
Glass is for ultra modern homes, or office buildings.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 6:40AM
PRO
Schroeder Design Group, NCIDQ, Licensed
You said you like modern, which is clean, not heavy.

Then no curves, fancy metal or heavy details. What is the style of your home overall, anything in particular?

See the photo;
http://www.trendir.com/archives/modular-staircase-rintal.jpg

Suggestion;
Rip out or paint out the large stringers ( wide diagonal wood planks at the base of the staircases )
Just lighten up the stair case with simple elements, simple metal spindles, not shiny, maybe pewter or oil rubbed bronze in color.
Glass is for ultra modern homes, or office buildings.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 6:40AM