Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Angled living room disaster!!!!
mflohelp
November 10, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have an angled living room. The room has vaulted ceilings and has three entrances, it is also directly open with the kitchen. It's a very odd rectangle- ish shape. We are having a horrible time finding the type of furniture to optimize the space available. We also have an 8 month old, VERY CURIOUS, little boy. I want to mount the tv and get a sectional, my husband does not. PLEASE HELP!! I have a lot more pics available!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aggie Purvinska
That is a very "curious" design, but it's not bad. Paint the walls a darker beige and ceilings a lighter version of it. Get a cool round mirror for above fireplace, replace the Ceiling Fan with something more fun, get an Entertainment Unit and look for two sofas (one to face TV wall, Another to face Door), a chair and ottomans or a coffee table for comfy lounging. An end table or two and floor lamps and relax away!

[houzz=Alexandria Beige HC-77 Paint]

[houzz=Clay Beige OC-11 Paint]

[houzz=Nicki II Slipcovered Sofa]

[houzz=Everett Striped Chair]

[houzz=Silver Leaf Finish Round Mirror - 36 diam. in.]

[houzz=Fitzjames Mayfair Four-Light Lantern]

[houzz=Studio Adjustable Floor Lamp With Large Shade]

[houzz=Ludlow Trunk Side Table]

[houzz=Wesley Media 60 Inch Console with Hutch]

[houzz=Embroidered Ottoman]
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 11:11AM
PRO
Roots and Rafters
Is that a plug over the fireplace? It looks like the designers of the house intended you to mount your TV there anyway. You could also do a built-in cabinet on the wall that the TV is on now. This would allow for inconspicuous storage of your son's toys.

A sectional put perpendicular to the door would help define the living room space, and give you room in front of it for a coffee table and a play area for your son. It would also give every seat on the sectional a good view of the TV.

There are good-looking leather sectionals available. Leather cleans easily (good for small children) and is a nice design element, so that the couch won't end up looking like something that would be in your grandmother's house.

Add some pretty throw pillows to balance out the masculine-ness of the leather.

Angled living rooms with sectionals:

East-meets-west in San Francisco's Russian Hill
2011 Showcase - Hillside Retreat
Coffey & Co. House of Interiors
177 white pine - new build

Some sectionals to consider:

Sophisticated Italian Top Grain Leather Sectional Sofa
Dean Leather Sectional
Easton Leather Sectionals
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 11:37AM
srockwell
I lived in a living room like yours. I had a sofa on the wall opposite the fireplace with a coffee table in front of it, chairs at each end of the coffee table, and end tables on each side of the sofa. I had a console table on the long wall next to the fireplace (mine was mirrored) with two buffet lamps and a flower arrangement on it. The TV could be mounted above the fireplace - it's safer with a little guy running around. I'm attaching a couple of pics to give you an idea.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 11:41AM
mflohelp
@ Roofs and Rafters- can I email you the specifics of the room; as in measurements, angles, etc for more detailed help?
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 12:12PM
PRO
Inspired Interiors by Wendi, IIDA
I agree with Roots and Rafters. I would place a sectional perpendicular to the door and mount the television above the fireplace.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 12:18PM
pcmom1
Your room is a lot like my living room: fireplace in corner, two walls open, other wall is long window.

Since you want tv in here: over fireplace but angle slightly down for viewing. Then, perhaps a less heavy sort of sofa directly facing fireplace. To the long wall, add a long narrow desk to hold your laptop. Add a floorlamp and a nice tall plant. Add some art for a gallery wall effect.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 12:38PM
greenthumb2
You may want to consider doing a wainscoting of semi-gloss paint along the long wall so you can just wipe up spills as they can occur with the curious, or adults for that matter. It would allow you a chance to define the space as independent from the kitchen visually. You are lucky to have the stove in a corner instead of in the middle of the room somewhere. Thousands of builders placed them right in the middle with raised brick/stone, bad use of floor space and hard to keep clean. :=) As mentioned, you can make a few corner groupings and have some air space available for your son who is bound to find everything in there anyway. Enjoy your process.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 12:59PM
mflohelp
Here are the specs of the room. It's long but not wide. I'm sorry for the messy and uneven lines. Everything is in inches, except the hallway entrance.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 2:25PM
mflohelp
PS- I am a visual person. So if someone could scribble something on a napkin or anything on hand, I can't tell you how much I'd appreciate it. This is our first home and I have NO IDEA WHAT SO EVER about what I am doing.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 2:29PM
PRO
juma decor
By removing the ceiling fixture you will open the space. I too would opt for a sectional that is not too oversized, something with a trim arm, L shaped with the smaller end facing the doors. The long side could face the entertainment wall. Find a nice antique or interesting asian chest to put your TV on and store the components. The white walls are glaring, so depending on style of home you may want to go with a beige, taupe, or grey on the walls. Art or a nice B & W photograph (large) would be nice over the fireplace. Once you find a neutral fabric for the large piece then decorate with some bold pattern pillows with a punch of color. Oranges and reds are great this season.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 4:39PM
mflohelp
I'm concerned if we mount the tv, and the large side of the sectional doesn't go against the large wall, the side that is 148",that it will cut the room off and appear smaller. Any recommendations of size of sectionals that wouldn't over power the room. We have already painted and done some decorating. The first photo is being taken from the small entry way by the front door. The second photo is back by the bedrooms. I didn't like the set up of our previous couches because of the difficulty with viewing the tv and it closed the room off. Leaving very little room to crawl and play, and removing all possibilities of any coffee or end tables. I'd like to get a mount that you can pull out and twist and turn the tv.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 5:03PM
mflohelp
To compensate for the lack of space, we actually have both couches up against the wall opposite the tv. We aren't expecting company and it allows space for our son to explore. Trouble is, it cuts off most of the kitchen entrance and looks stupid. Is there no happy medium possible?
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 5:05PM
mflohelp
Oh and the color of the walls are a greyish green. The wood and leather are both dark and to offset the dark I have the same color green- grey throw pillows that I monogrammed. I'm pleased with the color aspects. I was going for simple, elegant, and timeless.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 5:08PM
pcmom1
The tv so close to the fireplace is competing with it. Try moving the tv down the wall a ways. Then swing the sofas around so that the large sofa is near the fireplace and the french doors. It will be placed so that you can still easily use the door outside.

Take all the small things off the mantel and hang a round mirror over. I'd add a pillow or two to your sofa that has red in it, since there is red in the next room.

Love the dog.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 6:47PM
PRO
Better Value Furniture
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 7:31PM
PRO
Nancy O'Hara Interiors
Here is the floor plan that I think will work best for you. The fireplace is the focal point of the room so make it stand out by flanking 2 occasional chairs on either side...they can easily be pulled into the room for guests. I agree with a large round mirror above the mantle and remove the little pictures. Place up to an 84" sofa against the wall and use a 24"round table on one end (that will soften the corner into the kitchen) and an 18" x 24" rectangular end table the same height on the other. Two matching lamps. Place a comfortable lounge chair next to the round table. Use an oval cocktail table (no sharp edges for your son) or a cocktail ottoman to put your feet up. The TV cabinet should be centered as close as possible to the sofa but leave about 1foot of space to the right so that you don't clip it when you come around the hallway.
1 Like   November 13, 2012 at 7:52AM
Byron Dueck
If I were you, I would definitely put paneling on the ceiling and even consider continuing the paneling along the walls or just put some wainscoting on them. This would give the room a huge texture boost and make it not look just ordinary.

0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 8:10AM
mflohelp
The pic is the idea I had in my head. There are hook ups above the mantel. And my son loves cords so this would allow us to snake the cords through the wall so mr. Sticky fingers can't eat them. The rectangle behind the small part of the sectional is one of those small table things that go behind couches. And the shelves on either side of tv is like a home made entertainment unit for the cable box etc. the distance between the edge of the door and beginning of the fire place is only 28". Not really enough to put a chair or seating.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 8:15AM
mflohelp
@ Nancy, the wall behind the couch in your design continues all the way to the door, and in to the entry way. I'd like to have an entry table too.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 8:21AM
PRO
Roots and Rafters
The problem with that layout is that almost no one will be able to see the TV from the couch without craning their necks to do so. Flip the couch so that the long side faces the room opposite rather than hugging the wall.

Floating furniture can be scary, but it's usually the best option in awkwardly shaped rooms.

The setup you have now is actually what I'm suggesting, except put the TV over the fireplace. If it doesn't look crowded now, it won't with a sectional.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 8:21AM
PRO
Nancy O'Hara Interiors
With the arrangement above it would be very awkward TV viewing...only the person on the short side of the sectional could see it and even then the TV is angled and up high. Regarding the chair next to the fireplace...although the wall space is 28", there is no problem putting it partially in front of the door because that side does not open.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 8:24AM
PRO
Nancy O'Hara Interiors
If you want to use an entry table just replace the rectangular end table that I suggested.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 8:32AM
mflohelp
Now that you say that, I kind of feel like a dodo head. I see what everyone is saying about the tv making everyone crane their necks. I surrender ( waving white flag). I hope I'm not being a pain but I have two more placement ideas. The dogs bed goes in the space by the door. @Nancy, I'm impressed that you saw from the pics that that door doesn't open. I'm obviously open for additional seating, end tables etc. I just put in the basics.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 8:45AM
mflohelp
Other aspects that are important are walkways. This is unfortunately the main room of the house. From this room to the right is bedrooms and left is the kitchen. Sadly, not a whole lot. We are a military family and are most likely going to be renting this house out. So utilizing every single inch is crucial. I am totally kicking myself for picking this house.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 8:52AM
PRO
Nancy O'Hara Interiors
The reason I laid it out the way I did was for maximum seating, optimum traffic flow, and best use of space.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 8:56AM
mflohelp
Of course. My apologies. This is all very new to me and, frankly, really frustrating. Do you need to know the exact distance from the plug to the corner? I don't know if specifics like that change anything.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 9:02AM
PRO
Nancy O'Hara Interiors
I'm sorry...I don't know which plug you are referring to
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 11:01AM
mflohelp
You commented that how I have my TV set up right now is too close to the fireplace. There's one other plug on that wall. The plugs have to be covered in any design because of the wee one. The other plug is 39.5" from the hall to the bedrooms.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 11:06AM
PRO
Nancy O'Hara Interiors
Here is a layout with the TV on the opposite wall. This may work better for you. Everything is drawn to scale and I don't feel that this space lends itself to a sectional...a sofa and chair will give you much more flexibility. As far as the outlets are concerned, I would use the plastic safety caps that they make for child safety to plug them up.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 11:55AM
PRO
Nancy O'Hara Interiors
Layout 2
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 12:03PM
PRO
Nancy O'Hara Interiors
Frustrating...the layout is not uploading after 3 tries
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 12:04PM
mflohelp
I really appreciate you're help! This is so helpful! The house is brand new and it doesn't need outlet plugs. It has built in child safety. The issue is the exposed cords. That was the big thing about mounting above the fireplace because there are the outlets already there and the cords could be funneled through the wall and out of curious hands. In your professional opinion, is there no functional and practical design that would allow us to do that. The TV itself would sit inches above the mantel. Again not trying to be difficult, trying to make being a working mother and student a little easier.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 12:12PM
PRO
Nancy O'Hara Interiors
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 12:17PM
PRO
Nancy O'Hara Interiors
The cords would end up behind the TV stand with the outlet that is 39" from the hallway unless I'm missing something. There is really no good way to mount it over the fireplace. I understand how hard it is to do all that you're doing and am trying to find the best answer for you. If it's any comfort I raised three kids and they survived and back in the day nobody mounted TVs over the fireplace because it was impossible.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 12:23PM
PRO
Nancy O'Hara Interiors
Since the second layout doesn't seem to be loading, I would be happy to email it to you if you want to send me your email address through my website www.nancyoharainteriors.com
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 12:31PM
mflohelp
I just sent the message
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 1:13PM