powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Would you cover this whole area in stone?
cschoono
November 11, 2012 in Design Dilemma
This large, angled wall is an important focal point in our home. We installed a beautiful FPX gas fireplace recently and hope to improve the facade.
Our initial thought was to cover all the plaster with a stack stone and add a large wood mantel over the fireplace - but that seems like a lot of stone for the space. Any ideas on adding other elements, or mixing it up?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I would remove the TV, fill the log storage area with logs, paint the entire fireplace area a clay color or a color from the rug, and hang a large vertical picture over the holes left by the TV. Find a new home for the TV.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 7:53AM
cschoono
two additional pictures -
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 8:04AM
changesinteriors
That's not a TV. I would re texture the walls to a Santa Fe finish. No mantel bigger art
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 8:08AM
cschoono
interesting note : The original homeowner visited our home and told me this used to be all brick, with a large, open wood-burning fireplace at an angle- so you can see the fire from multiple rooms. Too bad the last owners covered it up.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 8:09AM
PRO
Ah, silly me! I should have known it was too small to be a TV in 2012!
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 8:15AM
cschoono
lol! It's just an old picture we threw up there to cover the whipped-cream plaster look ;)
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 8:18AM
greenthumb2
Agree with changing the color. Not sure what you prefer warm or cool. Scrub off all the soot first before working it up. Agree with filling up your fireplace storage. Larger art would work, however, If you do not have the $$ right now for that. Hang that big picture offset left and two smaller ones on the right. The storage area is so close to the new stove the tightness is hard to avoid but a darker wall will hide that some. :+) Sorry to hear about the last owners covering up something you may have enjoyed. Happens all the time!
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 8:19AM
greenthumb2
PS. A built in storage might be helpful on the right side bottom. Add a little weight and make it work for you as well.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 8:21AM
cschoono
Maybe we should close up the wood - storage hole entirely. It looks really out of whack in these pictures.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 8:24AM
decoenthusiaste
I'd be tempted to try and uncover the original FP, but it isn't bad. Agree with CA-KD that you just need to clean and paint it, maybe find a mantel sized like the beams, and put decor on it that is not art or a mirror since the two openings make it a bit unbalanced. Find something interesting like a sculpture, massive candlesticks, etc.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 8:25AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
i'd leave the texture as it seems to go on around the corner, and leave the wood bin - fill it with logs....keep the color of the fireplace to work with the rest of the textured walls and its a bit late to add stone with the f/p installed....the face of the f/p would be set-back adn there would need to be allowances for the door swings.....spend your effor on a piece of art for above the firebox, and enjoy the space
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 8:31AM
Natalie
Yes---just needs a cleaning, bin filled with logs, and a HUGE painting. CheerS!
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 8:36AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
you got my back Nat
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 8:37AM
changesinteriors
leave the arched storage hole its quaint.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 8:37AM
PRO
Buechel Stone Corp
Would you like some ideas that use stone? Anything is possible to change it up :)!
http://pinterest.com/buechelstone/fireplaces-using-stone/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/buechelstone/sets/72157626765433140/
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 6:05AM
cschoono
Buechel SC - wow, lots of great ideas! Beautiful! Thanks!
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 8:16AM
PRO
Buechel Stone Corp
Thanks :) - whatever we can do to help! For us they're great tools and if we get work from them that's obviously a good thing... but one of our broader goals is to help people get excited about all the uses and beauty you get with a natural product. Thanks again for the reply!
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 8:20AM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.