powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
My living room is a challenge to furnish and decorate! I need help!
h4cate
November 11, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I've started to furnish and decorate my living room, but now I'm stumped! I need a new sofa, coffee table, artwork, chair, etc. where do I go from here?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Rustic African contemporary is quite a mix, and there is a definite lack of color. Can anything be returned to the store? You seem to be on an odd track here. Maybe the chairs should be changed for something to suit the architecture and your western looking art piece.
November 11, 2012 at 10:10am     
h4cate
Thanks! I agree with the space needing more color. Any suggestions ? Also the art above the fireplace is going to be replaced with a contemporary painting. I'm trying to make this space less rustic with by adding contemporary/mid century furnishings. I'm not a fan of western styles so any additional suggestions would be appreciated.
November 11, 2012 at 10:29am   
yvonne_pinckney
I think you are on the right track. I too love animal prints. Get red pillows and accents. . Incorporate other skins too, example leather Ottoman sheepskin throw, faux fur. and some green. Your room goes with my African, Eastern Indian and Asian collections of Knickknacks
November 11, 2012 at 10:42am     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
It's the mermaid and seashells that seem would get the heave ho from me, but I think we can work with the rest of it.

I'd start by painting some of the wood in the house. See photo below. That should give you a much different feel to the room. From there, yes, you can add the contemporary pieces you'll need. I like your black and white zebra chairs and would add a black sofa to go with them. Then you can introduce color with a rug. I think that a tribal or kilim rug would relate nicely to the rustic look while still working well with the contemporary vibe.

Once you acquire the rug, it will be easy to add pillows in some of the rug colors. I'd also add a Mongolian lamb pillow in white, for texture and to bring in the white from the zebra chairs. Lake Keowee: Smith Private Residence Zuo Fortress Collection Black Leather Sofa PB Found Vintage Kilim Rugs Mongolian Lamb Pillow
November 11, 2012 at 10:52am     
h4cate
Ok, I like where this is going....what do you think about the lighting?Also was thinking of coloring the pebble table (between the zebra chairs) turquoise in a plaster like finish. Take a look at the fabric swatch i was thinking about for the built in benches on either side of the fireplace.
November 11, 2012 at 11:13am   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
Carolyn,s recommendations are spot on. If you can't paint out the wood you can still get a great out of Africa look. The kelim rugs and pillows would really compliment the zebra chairs. The floral you are considering introducing is too traditional and too much mixing metaphors. Consider ulta suede or natural linen in a color that would compliment a kelim rug. A lacquered russet red coffee table could be fun.
November 11, 2012 at 11:27am   
h4cate
Ok. are you recommending one large kelim rug or many laying near each other? and as for the bench cushions, are you thinking of a solid? can you buy kelim fabric to cover the cushions or is that too much?
November 11, 2012 at 11:32am   
h4cate
any thoughts on lighting?
November 11, 2012 at 11:32am   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
One large kelim to anchor the main seating area. You then could add a runner or other smaller kelim in an other area of the room. Look for kelim inspired print fabric or a nubby textured solid colored linen for the built in benches. You can add Kelim pillows on the benches to get more of a mix of pattern. The russet red and orange kelim's in teh picture Carolyn is showing would be a great color directionfor your room and really compliment the natural wood. You could consider sofas in a warm tone as well.
November 11, 2012 at 11:48am   
decoenthusiaste
OK! That makes a difference! Knowing your direction helps. Are the walls rough sawn lumber or is there a smooth finish to work with? If they will be difficult to paint,just fill them with art, masks, etc.
November 11, 2012 at 12:04pm   
h4cate
the room is over 100 years old (only part of the house we retained, redwood ceiling and walls. If we paint it then any imperfection will be highlighted so I think painting is out....I'm thinking that bright colored art whether modern and/or tribal would help brighten the room. Any comments on the flat fold shades?
November 11, 2012 at 1:00pm   
decoenthusiaste
They're a little flat! LOL! I'd want some softness with all the angles and lines built into the room. Just simple stationary panels hung over them at each side would help soften and add color/pattern.
November 11, 2012 at 1:08pm   
PRO
I like your shades and think they work well with the room because of their simplicity. Dealing with a house that's over a hundred years old must be a challenge. And certainly now I understand better the lighting concerns you have. Can an electrician supply power to the ceiling for some track lights to highlight the walls and the fireplace?
November 11, 2012 at 1:33pm   
h4cate
yes we can run electricity to any part of the room. I like the tribal direction and the items you all have suggested. The coffee wooden base coffee table is interesting have you seen one that's oval?
November 11, 2012 at 2:15pm   
PRO
No, I have not seen an oval table exactly like that. However, it's inexpensive, so you could perhaps buy it and then put an oval glass top on it.
November 11, 2012 at 2:23pm   
h4cate
Does anyone have a suggestion for a chandelier for this room?
November 12, 2012 at 2:38pm   
h4cate
Also what do you think of this 54" long piece for the walls?
November 12, 2012 at 2:39pm   
PRO
I'm not enchanted. I'd prefer older and faded African artifacts.
November 12, 2012 at 5:08pm   
PRO
I rather like this chandelier for the room:
November 12, 2012 at 5:11pm     
PRO
Or this chandelier:
On both this one and the one above I like the rusticity of the ropes and the candle appearance of the light sources.
November 12, 2012 at 5:14pm   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
I think both Carolyn's chandelier recommendations would really be handsome in the room.
November 12, 2012 at 6:16pm     
dcer
I love all of Carolyn's suggestions! Especially the Mongolian lamb pillows, Kilims, rope chandeliers, glass coffee tables, etc. make sure that any African art you purchase is natural looking and don't go overboard with the theme. Good luck!
November 12, 2012 at 6:38pm     
kah416
Check out Pottery Barns living rooms online. They have some great layouts! And it looks like your style, very pretty living room by the way! :)
November 12, 2012 at 6:43pm   
PRO
Better Value Furniture
http://www.bettervaluefurniture.com/Avenue-B-Inventory.html

We carry very nice lines of lighting and wall decors from Avenue B ,that may peak your interests.
November 12, 2012 at 7:27pm   
h4cate
saw this table tonite, does anybody like this solution?
November 12, 2012 at 9:29pm   
h4cate
saw this table tonite, does anybody like this solution?
November 12, 2012 at 9:29pm   
h4cate
thanks, will do.
November 12, 2012 at 9:30pm   
PRO
I't okay, and might do, but it doesn't excite me. What is the reason for the oval shape? Do you have young children? I'd love to know the size of your room and location of fireplace, doors, etc. Could you sketch it, with dimensions, so that we could perhaps see what size furniture we think you could best use. We would also need dimensions of any furniture pieces that you already have and plan to use in the room.
November 13, 2012 at 5:52am   
h4cate
Ok, will get measurements and layout. Here's restoration hardware's version of your lighting, better or...?
November 13, 2012 at 7:35am   
h4cate
I've attached my living room layout with measurements. Look forward to hearing what you all think!
November 13, 2012 at 8:37am   
decoenthusiaste
I don't understand the "doors" between the piano and built-in bookshelf. Are they just serving as a screen or decor? You have room to push the sofa closer to the windows. 50" of space is a lot of walk through room. When a coffee table goes in, it should be about 18" from the sofa, so it won't serve both it and the chairs, but you have a table with the chairs so that is OK.
November 13, 2012 at 8:56am   
h4cate
the doors are 2 floor to ceiling doors that open from a hallway to the living room. When you push the sofa back it really falls off the back of the room and really separates it from the firelplace. I've even tried it on the diagonal (where the floor lamp is) and it felt so far away from the fireplace.
November 13, 2012 at 9:04am   
PRO
I prefer the more rustic nature of the original chandelier selection to the ones offered by Restoration Hardware. Thanks for giving us the nice drawing of the room. It's very helpful. I'd also like to know the depth of the 85" sofa, and what the long rectangle against the wall behind the sofa is. Do you have electrical outlets in the floor near the sofa or chairs?
November 13, 2012 at 11:51am   
PRO
Also, h4cate, is the 50" dimension behind the sofa to the wall or to the rectangle against the wall? We need to know if there is space behind the sofa to back it up to allow for a bigger coffee table.
November 13, 2012 at 3:34pm   
h4cate
current sofa depth is 40" the space behind the sofa to the wall/window is the 50" (the rectangle is representing 4 windows). Electrical outlets behind sofa and on walls all around the room. The table that I currently show between the chairs and sofa are just sitting there as placeholders, they don't belong there....thanks everyone for chiming it, really appreciate you taking the time!
November 13, 2012 at 4:17pm   
PRO
Because you have 50" of space behind the sofa, and for traffic you only need 36", I would back the sofa up by 14". Then, because we need 18" between the coffee table and the sofa and between the chairs and the coffee table, we can determine the depth that the coffee table can be. And that depth is: (drum roll, please!) 37". Well we're far more likely to find a table that is 36" deep than 37", so we should be looking for a coffee table of perhaps 54 x 36" or 42 x 36" or 42 x 36", all fairly standard sizes. We could even use a square table of 36", but I'd opt for a rectangular table since there is space for it!. My math teacher would be so proud, providing I got it right!
November 13, 2012 at 5:29pm   
h4cate
Thanks! the table I showed you yesterday was 65" - too long...do you like the idea of an oval table? I'm guessing round (like the one you showed me) is out....
November 13, 2012 at 5:37pm   
h4cate
do you think it will look odd to have the chairs on one edge of the fireplace then the sofa 14" back from where it is now? also do you still like the idea of the leather/metal sofa?
November 13, 2012 at 5:39pm   
PRO
Here's a very simple layout that might work for you. Warm and cozy, with sofa in front of the fireplace, and chairs flanking the sofa. Tell me whether this can work, please.
November 13, 2012 at 6:38pm   
PRO
Back to your question about a round coffee table. Yes, you could use a 42" round in the arrangement I drew above. It's just harder for the people at edge of sofa to reach it. But if they're young and agile, yes indeed! Also in the drawing above, if you want a reading chair with lamp, a lamp could be at side of one of the chairs, as long as cord if out of traffic path.
November 13, 2012 at 6:44pm   
h4cate
I'll give it a try! thanks for your thoughts! https://www.onekingslane.com/vintage-market-finds/product/969530, http://esalerugs.com/22130266, http://www.jonathanadler.com/red-arthur-kilim-rug-8x10/?cat=831, will you let me know which rug style you think is best....
November 13, 2012 at 6:57pm   
h4cate
what are the 2 items that have circles on them, one is behind the couch near the corner and the other is under the windows?
November 13, 2012 at 6:59pm   
PRO
Circles with an X through them indicate lamps. I saw the Jonathan Adler rug and consider it a possibility. I was really hoping for an antique looking kilim with faded colors instead of stronger colors, but the room should reflect you, not me, so I'm not ruling it out. Let's see what other people think. I could not see the one kings lane rug. Please try to send me another link to it.
November 13, 2012 at 7:08pm   
h4cate
are the lamps sitting on something? tables, chests....if so what style are you thinking there? have included some other images for rugs....take a look and let me know if they are more of what you are thinking. thanks
November 13, 2012 at 8:20pm   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
I agree that a rectangular coffee table is more functional. I would recommend a wood rather than glass top coffee table. I think that glass might look a bit weak with the bold furniture and natural wood paneling. the scale of a 42" x 48" coffee table would be better than an oval or glass coffee table. It would help a anchor the furniture arrangement.
I still love the idea of using a Kelim area rug for their richness and natural dyes. Don't try to find Ethnic art to accessorize unless it resonates with your personal taste. You
can find art and accessories that appeal to you and still look great with a rug. AVoid cliche model home accessorizing. A successful design must have personal items to make it your home.
November 13, 2012 at 8:23pm   
h4cate
Ok, thanks! any suggestions on style of coffee table? not going with glass.
November 13, 2012 at 8:25pm   
PRO
Here's a possible console table for the window wall behind the sofa. It's long and skinny, so make sure you have space for the length of it if you like it. It's also quite heavy in weight, making it not easy to move. But it is lovely! http://www.crateandbarrel.com/silviano-console-table/s234179
November 14, 2012 at 6:35am   
PRO
Here's a possible console table for the window wall behind the sofa. It's long and skinny, so make sure you have space for the length of it if you like it. It's also quite heavy in weight, making it not easy to move. But it is lovely! http://www.crateandbarrel.com/silviano-console-table/s234179
November 14, 2012 at 6:35am   
PRO
November 14, 2012 at 6:44am     
PRO
With all the wood surounding you in this room, I wish you would not give up on a glass topped coffee table. It would also allow a much better look at your rug.
November 14, 2012 at 6:51am   
h4cate
I like both the rug and console table you have suggested. I'm including a photo of the current rug so you can see if that might still work, it's not a kelim. There are french doors behind the sofa in your layout, so should I put the console table on the other wall under the 4 windows (at the top of your drawing)?. Now onto the coffee table. I do like the glass solution for the reason you stated. otherwise you won't really see much of the rug at all. Would you then put a runner under the console table? Really appreciate your thoughts!!
November 14, 2012 at 7:47am   
h4cate
I followed Carolyn's layout and it looks great! I'm trying to find a kelim rug locally so I can see it before purchasing. Also trying to find a sofa and coffee table. I've added a simple African style drum as a side table - in keeping with the suggested tribal motif. Now trying to figure out what to do with under the windows (at the top of the layout) there is a series of 4 windows that span that area. Also the top left corner is so dark. I have a standing lamp but maybe it needs a tree or plant....any thoughts/?
December 23, 2012 at 6:40am     
PRO
I'm so glad that the furniture arrangement worked for you!

I wouldn't put a tree into a dark corner as it will not survive there and I'm not in favor of silk plants. You may eventually find something you want to put there, but I hope the search will be fun for you. It could be a sculpture on a pedestal, or a tall pot or who knows what.

The coffee table below would work even though it's smaller than what I drew.
December 23, 2012 at 8:05am   
PRO
Rozenkelim
What about a vintage rose kilim? it will be an eyecatcher in your room!
June 23, 2013 at 5:31am   
h4cate
Thank you, it's a thought!
June 23, 2013 at 6:40am   
PRO
Anderson Woodworks
I can make a couple custom pieces for you if you have a hard time finding what you want.
June 23, 2013 at 6:46am