Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Painting an open floor plan
chzahm
November 11, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have an open floor plan, I want want to incorporate at LEAST two different colors... if not 3.. or is that too many? Here are some photos with how the walls connect, where should I keep the color, and what walls can I use a different color?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Rayco Painting
I would use a Kelly Moore Wise Owl flat finish and on the largest single wall go with an accent color you want to blend with your furniture or paintings on the walls.
1 Like   November 11, 2012 at 9:57AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Three colors should work nicely in this big open space. I'd select a neutral for color 1 and paint most of the walls and the ceiling with color 1. Add colors 2 and 3 on accent walls, not too close to one another. Repeat color 2 as accessories in the color 3 area, and vice versa.
1 Like   November 11, 2012 at 10:03AM
decoenthusiaste
If you can find one color you like and it is on a color strip with several others, just move between the mid, light and darkest strips with three paints, as CA-KD suggested.
1 Like   November 11, 2012 at 10:04AM
paigejbird
V. Ljhjbgyuyyuuiipv bbjgf
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 10:08AM
PRO
Actually, what I was suggesting was 1 neutral color and then 2 accent colors, which could be totally different from the neutral. I was envisioning orange and teal, but they could be anything, as long as they all look good together.
1 Like   November 11, 2012 at 10:21AM
chzahm
thank you. it's hard to tell in the pictures, but the long wall with the sliding door, connects to the kitchen. i figure all of the walls in the kitchen should be the same? I am having a hard time determining what color I would like to suit my kitchen, AND living area! We have very dark (java) colored cabinets.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 10:23AM
chzahm
i am leaning towards a teal.. it looks very sharp against the dark cabinets! i want to stay with fairly light, and bright.. thanks everyone, i'm finally getting some ideas rolling around!
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 10:27AM
PRO
I would suggest not going too bright. Slightly muddy tones are easier to live with. Take a look at Sherwin-Williams 6213 Halcyon Green.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 11:16AM
chzahm
Carolyn, I really like your ideas, thank you! I've been looking at teals and oranges, which I actually have in my current home, so I obviously love them. Can I ask you a favor, what other combinations for accent walls do you like? I am game for whatever. (what i have trouble with too, is the neutral color.. that meshes with the two accents!)
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 11:30AM
PRO
Consider Sherwin-Williams 6815 Awesome Violet, used with 6401 Independent Gold (a yellowy-lime). Or a periwinkle (SW6542 Vesper Violet) used with SW6416 Sassy Green (a lime color). Another combo I like is SW6423 Ryegrass with SW6263 Exclusive Plum. See what you think and let me know.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 2:03PM
chzahm
Thank you, Carolyn. I checked those out... and they seem a little bright. I said I wanted bright, but I guess I don't! I found a color I LOVE (for a neutral) Cypress Green - Benjamin Moore. I am looking for some a couple of different accent options with that.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 7:09PM
PRO
I'll take a look in the daylight tomorrow. Glad you found at least one color that you like!
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 7:16PM