Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Painting an open floor plan
chzahm
November 11, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have an open floor plan, I want want to incorporate at LEAST two different colors... if not 3.. or is that too many? Here are some photos with how the walls connect, where should I keep the color, and what walls can I use a different color?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Rayco Painting
I would use a Kelly Moore Wise Owl flat finish and on the largest single wall go with an accent color you want to blend with your furniture or paintings on the walls.
November 11, 2012 at 9:57AM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Three colors should work nicely in this big open space. I'd select a neutral for color 1 and paint most of the walls and the ceiling with color 1. Add colors 2 and 3 on accent walls, not too close to one another. Repeat color 2 as accessories in the color 3 area, and vice versa.
November 11, 2012 at 10:03AM     
decoenthusiaste
If you can find one color you like and it is on a color strip with several others, just move between the mid, light and darkest strips with three paints, as CA-KD suggested.
November 11, 2012 at 10:04AM     
paigejbird
V. Ljhjbgyuyyuuiipv bbjgf
November 11, 2012 at 10:08AM   
PRO
Actually, what I was suggesting was 1 neutral color and then 2 accent colors, which could be totally different from the neutral. I was envisioning orange and teal, but they could be anything, as long as they all look good together.
November 11, 2012 at 10:21AM     
chzahm
thank you. it's hard to tell in the pictures, but the long wall with the sliding door, connects to the kitchen. i figure all of the walls in the kitchen should be the same? I am having a hard time determining what color I would like to suit my kitchen, AND living area! We have very dark (java) colored cabinets.
November 11, 2012 at 10:23AM   
chzahm
i am leaning towards a teal.. it looks very sharp against the dark cabinets! i want to stay with fairly light, and bright.. thanks everyone, i'm finally getting some ideas rolling around!
November 11, 2012 at 10:27AM   
PRO
I would suggest not going too bright. Slightly muddy tones are easier to live with. Take a look at Sherwin-Williams 6213 Halcyon Green.
November 11, 2012 at 11:16AM   
chzahm
Carolyn, I really like your ideas, thank you! I've been looking at teals and oranges, which I actually have in my current home, so I obviously love them. Can I ask you a favor, what other combinations for accent walls do you like? I am game for whatever. (what i have trouble with too, is the neutral color.. that meshes with the two accents!)
November 12, 2012 at 11:30AM   
PRO
Consider Sherwin-Williams 6815 Awesome Violet, used with 6401 Independent Gold (a yellowy-lime). Or a periwinkle (SW6542 Vesper Violet) used with SW6416 Sassy Green (a lime color). Another combo I like is SW6423 Ryegrass with SW6263 Exclusive Plum. See what you think and let me know.
November 12, 2012 at 2:03PM   
chzahm
Thank you, Carolyn. I checked those out... and they seem a little bright. I said I wanted bright, but I guess I don't! I found a color I LOVE (for a neutral) Cypress Green - Benjamin Moore. I am looking for some a couple of different accent options with that.
November 13, 2012 at 7:09PM   
PRO
I'll take a look in the daylight tomorrow. Glad you found at least one color that you like!
November 13, 2012 at 7:16PM