Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dining room table finish?
cjley
November 11, 2012 in Design Dilemma
All of our furniture is black or espresso and we need a new dining room table. The biggest concern I have is what color finish to have on the table. Our floors are highland hickory from Home Depot. I attached a picture. I feel the floors are more chocolate and less warm than what's in the picture but it still is close. We have also have a cream area rug. We don't have any chairs picked out for the table either. All I know is it needs to be rectangular and match our house! I'm nervous about it not being black/espresso but I would like to change it up.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccwatters
Do you have any pictures of your furniture? Do you gravitate toward contemporary, traditional or transitional?
November 11, 2012 at 4:29PM   
cjley
Contemporary I would guess. I like more simple and clean lines. I do sometimes like tradition pieces. The room is a long narrow room. L shaped. Kitchen with white cabinets and soapstone gray countertops and black hardware and appliances in one end of the L. Living space at the other end with the chocolate brown sectional, espresso entertainment stand, and dining area in the corner of the L has a black Parker spirits cabinet from crate and barrel (below). Entertainment center has a very similar design feel to the Parker cabinet.
November 11, 2012 at 4:40PM     
Aggie Purvinska
How About Blox Dining Table from CB2 with fun simple chairs. I don't think it has to match, it can be it's own color, the scheme is subtle to begin with..
November 11, 2012 at 4:49PM     
ccwatters
I think a weathered tressle table would be cool with some simplestraight-line black chairs.

It would add some interest to the very sleek lines you already have, but the chairs can tie everything together.
As a bonus, you can find tables like this all over craigslist if you have the ambition to refinish.

[houzz=Kitchen][houzz=Hyde Park Renovation[houzz=Reclaimed Dining Table \ Rectangle]
November 11, 2012 at 4:53PM     
cjley
Do u have an example? Started looking online and there are so many and having a hard time picturing it in the space.
November 11, 2012 at 5:01PM   
ccwatters
Not sure that question was for me, but here are some additional examples to the ones I already gave. Hope this helps. You could use any chair style you like.

Also, Restoration Hardware carries some beautiful tables like these, but pricey. When I was looking for a table for my cottage on Craigslist, I came across several trestle tables. Just make sure it is solid wood on top. Once sanded (the hard part), there is a very cool product called Rubio Monocoat that is a No-VOC oil that 'penetrates' the wood. It is a one-coat process and comes in 35 colors. One coat, and you're done---no poly. Best part, if it scratches, it can easily be spot repaired..

Anyhow, my original suggestion was basically for the purpose of mixing things up a bit. Bringing a bit of a rustic feel to the space with the table, while keeping your contemporary feel by finishing with some clean-line chairs.

Hope this helps...

[houzz=Alamo Square Kitchen]houzz=Casual Dining in a Formal Setting][houzz=Willowgrove Dining Room]
[houzz=Traditional Dining Room][houzz=Hyde Park Renovation]
November 11, 2012 at 5:50PM   
cjley
Thanks for the help! Totally spaced out and missed those links in your post cc. Sorry about that, lol. Great examples and gives me a good idea :)
November 11, 2012 at 6:00PM   
More Discussions
Need help with flooring
I have a small home with an open floor plan. The exterior...
Need advice...
Pictured here is the foyer I would like to paint a...
Paint Colors for Basement
We are finishing our basement and making 5 rooms (an...
Help needed choosing pillows!
I just received my new couch and armchairs but I have...
Please help me tie my room together!
Hi everyone! I've been decorating my living room and...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.