Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Garage to Master Suite
Jason
November 11, 2012 in Before & After
We're wanting to convert our two-car garage to a master suite and are looking for pics and tips and ideas. We want it to have a full master bath, large closet, sitting room/office area and a mud-room for the main entrance from outside where we will park.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I do not believe that there is enough space for all the things you want to put into your two car garage.
1 Like   November 11, 2012 at 5:28PM
lefty47
HI -- What size is the area that you are talking about ? I'm with Carolyn , that you are wanting too much in that space. The mud room entrance may have to be located on the outside. Consult with an architect for the plans,-it will be worth it.
1 Like   November 11, 2012 at 5:41PM
PRO
Even without the mudroom, a two garage area would make for an extremely small master bedroom, bath and closet.
1 Like   November 11, 2012 at 5:43PM
Jason
It is 23' wide and 24.5' deep.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 6:34PM
PRO
Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
No way all that would fit in that area with today's standard sizes, most master suites we plan these days are typically 500 s.f. minimum in and of themselves.
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 9:00PM
olldcan
agreed :( there's just not enough space to pull that off
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 9:09PM
PRO
Actually 23 x 24.5 is 563.5 sq. ft., so it should be possible to have the master bedroom, bath and walk- in closet in the space of the garage, and maybe squeeze in a mudroom also. I just did a quick layout on paper and after making a bedroom of 14 x 15.5, I ended up with a 7 x 14' closet and a 23 x 10' space for the master bath. That's too much master bath and maybe too much closet, so an architect should be able to come up with space for everything jedsled wants. Of course we'd need to know where the entry to the house is. A rough sketch of the garage with dimensions and doors would help.
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 5:47AM
PRO
Dytecture
Yes, that would be just enough space to have all the features you mentioned. The main concerns are heating and plumbing from the existing house to the garage.
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 8:34AM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Carolyn A-K-D - you are amazing! Nice assistance in this discussion -
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 10:13AM
PRO
Thank you, Paradise! We just needed those dimensions to know it could be done! Of course we won't really know HOW it can be done until jedsled gives us a sketch showing where the garage connects to the house.
Carolyn
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 10:55AM
Jason
I guess that was a hint, what? I'll see if I can get you a sketch. You guys are amazing. :)
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 1:23PM
Jason
Here's a rough sketch of the garage that shows the dimensions and locations of doors and windows. Any ideas?
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 4:14PM
PRO
Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
Before you go too far with this....please check with your local Planning Department to see whether this garage conversion is even allowable; many jurisdictions have a min. req. for covered parking.

You should also check to make sure that your garage plate heights are the same as at the main house, otherwise you may need to lower the floor in the garage below that of the main house, which could lead to an issue in getting your plumbing to drain without the use of an ejector pump.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 4:25PM
PRO
So, jedsled, because a mudroom is always accessed from the muddy outdoors, we need to know where cars will be parked now that the garage will be assigned other uses? And, thus, where do you expect people to be entering the house?

You show a door from the garage into the house, but give no dimensions of where the door is located. Into what room does it enter. Must it remain there? We inquiring minds want to know, so please fess up with the info!
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 4:57PM
Jason
No prohibitions in our area like what you said. The floor in the garage is approx. 7" lower than the house. There is a water heater in the garage, so water is coming in, but there's not drain. I guess if I raise the floor to match the house level, there will be enough room to run pipes underneath. As far as covered parking, we plan to build a detached 3-car garage at the end of the driveway. (I'm open to ideas about that plan, too.)
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 4:59PM
Jason
Carolyn, the new garage will be at the end of the driveway out back. Our family's entrance into the house will be through the mudroom in the garage (yet to be determined). Of course, our guests will come through the front door or walk around to the sunroom out back. This is why a mudroom is essential to to the plan.

The door from the garage into the main house is 7.5' fron the garage door wall. That door leads directly into our dining room. This is where and how we enter the house now after parking.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 5:05PM
PRO
And it is through the door into the dining room that you want the mudroom which will be part of the current garage? Is that correct? I only ask because of the first two lines of your posting above where you indicate that the new garage will be at the end of the driveway and that the family's entrance into the house will be through the mudroom in the garage.

I know I sound terribly dense here. I fail to understand why the mudroom would be in the old garage when people will be getting out of the cars in the new garage. How do they get from one to the other?
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 5:21PM
Jason
The new garage will be detached. We will walk across the driveway to enter the house through a new door into a mudroom, then into the dining room. See pic. I know it is hard to see when it is still in my mind. ;-)
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 6:32PM
Jason
Check this out. I used www.Homestyler.com to design the master suite to specs. What do you think? It will work.
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 4:38PM
PRO
Bravo!! Bravissimo!! Looks like you made it work. Well done, jedsled! I'd increase the window size in the bedroom and bathroom.
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 5:23PM
Jason
Thanks. The windows are already there, so increasing their size isn't possible. My only question is about a tankless water heater. How much space and/or ventilation do they require? Could I mount it in the linen closet or attic or even under the bathroom vanity? It would be the water heater for the whole house.
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 5:59AM
PRO
I hope that one of the builders or architects will answer this question. I, too, would like to know the answer.
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 10:29AM
PRO
Gemini Design/Build, Inc.
A whole house tankless water heater would not fit under the vanity. It could fit in a linen closet area possibly. Ventilation would require a 4" vent pipe to the outside with minimal elbows. Also check on the distance from this water heater to the rest of the plumbing fixtures in the house. Attached is an image of a master suite that was built over the space of a two car garage. It contained most of what you were hoping for in your space
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 10:44AM
Jason
Those pics are great! Thanks for sharing.

The original water heater for our house is located in the garage now. It is where the shower is in my layout above.

Could the tankless water heater be mounted in the attic above the original garage? Just above where it is located now? (We have an electric traditional heater now.)
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 10:52AM
PRO
Gemini Design/Build, Inc.
The attic may be tough as far as properly insulating the pipes to and from the water heater,unless you build an area for it or not living in an area with a lot of cold weather. Just wanted to make sure you were going with a gas tankless unit, as an electric one may not be able to provide the hot water you need properly.
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 12:27PM