Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my dinning room colors.
michellesalamon
November 11, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I want to paint a burgundy but not in the brown family. I want to use a chair rail molding and paint the bottom like a white, but I don't know what colors to use I bout 300 dollars worth of samples, and none of them work. I'm getting overwhelmed please help meeeeee!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Mona Ives
Typically you paint the darker color underneath the chair rail. I'm confused. Why would you paint white on the bottom? I would suggest you call a professional in your area that can look at your lighting conditions, what you have in the room, etc and help you pick a color. Something we like somethng but it just won't work. I can tell you years ago I was desperate to put a grassy greenin my own family room and I tried about 12 shades and finally ended up wallpapering it. Because at the end of the day, as much as we like something, sometimes it just doesn't work where we want it. Don't try to to force something just because you like it. Perhaps it could work, but if you're struggling that much, I do suggest you consult a pro.
November 12, 2012 at 6:26am   
Judy M
I don't see why you can't use white on the lower half. I see photos of that look all the time. Do a search on this site under "photos" and choose "dining room" on the left side of screen. Type "red" in the search bar and you'll see lots of dining rooms with various shades of red.
http://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional/dining-room/red-walls-/p/24
November 12, 2012 at 6:50am   
michigammemom
Here's a room that might help you make your decision. Notice that the chair rail and baseboard are painted white to give the illusion of wainscoting on the bottom half of the wall.
November 12, 2012 at 7:18am   
collettec
Not sure what it is you don't like. If it's the colors together, perhaps the white looks too white with the burgundy and it might help to look more at a cream, beige or linen color instead of the white. I would ask people at the paint store/counter their opinions as well. They may carry lines that have complementary colors that work well together.
November 12, 2012 at 7:26am   
collettec
Just checked your page to see if you had any examples of what you were looking for. Saw the dining room that was designed by Diedre Shaw Interiors. I checked on this site to see if they were listed and they were. You might want to check with Diedre Shaw Interiors directly for the paint colors they used.
November 12, 2012 at 7:51am   
Natalie
Hi check Sherwin Williams for paint---one of these should work for you: SW 6839 Kimono Violet and SW 6286 Mature Grape. Paint the color on the upper wall, the trim and lower wall white. This particular color has a lot of purple in it and that could be why you're having difficulty finding a match. Check those colors and see what you think. Good Luck!
November 12, 2012 at 8:30am   
michellesalamon
Thanks to all your opinions I love burgundy and cream and I love the wainscoting look it's simply classy and gorgeous. I tried Benjamin Moore garisson red but it looks brown than I tried true maroon by Behring and love it, I just need a nice cream linen that doesn't have peach or pink in it. And I like darker on top of chair rail, I feel it catches the eye more
November 12, 2012 at 10:11am   
michellesalamon
Michegammemom that's the pic of dinning room I love! They won't annswer me on my color question. And I wrote behr but comp changed it to Behring sorry
November 12, 2012 at 10:15am