Discussions
Professionals
Users
Entry room help
Monique
November 11, 2012 in Design Dilemma
The plant and rug are out now..
Just purchased this home..
What should we do cost effectively to make elegant and welcoming to the contemporary design..
Floor, wall color, stair rail ideas?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Keenan Wells
I would put circular a rug in the middle of the entry, then on the wall opposite to the door id have three large mirrors, in the area by the stairs i would put a oval shaped wood table with a glass vase with flowers. on the windows above the door i would put roman shades, to the left of the door id have a small key table that matched the wood of the other table, above the table i would have a black and white photo. I would paint the hole entry room a light grey.
November 11, 2012 at 9:16PM     
rudytudy5
Amazing foyer. As you know, paint (or wallpaper) is your most cost effective way to create drama. Not sure the color scheme of the rest of the house, but there are lots of opportunities to paint sections different colors. Groundwork, I'll number each wall or surface. I see 5.
1. The wall that the front door is on.
2. The wall to the left as you walk up the stair case.
3. The staircase wall to your right as you walk up it; not the inside, but outside which faces foyer.
4. The wall facing the front door.
5. The top surface that juts out from the wall that faces the front door.

I see a number of solutions. I'll name a few and you can brainstorm from there:
a.) Color #1 on surface #1 and #2; Color #2 on #3 and #5; wall paper on #4
b.) Color #1 on surface #1, #2, #3; wallpaper on #4 and #5
c.) Color #1 on #1, Color #2 on #2, #3, and #3; & wallpaper or Color #1on #4

If you can pay for a great looking wood in lay or tile work that blends with the wooden floor instead of the awkward white tile center or just lay down more wood flooring; I would do that. If you keep the center piece, I'd put a tall tree in the center.

For color, I wouldn't go bold because there is a classy softness that looks great there already-- soft, lighter pallette.
The rail can go burnished black or a darker color or matt silver. If you can add decorative-- organic theme, that would look nice.

If you can afford to put stone on wall #3 or #4 and give the room modern and organic look, that would be wonderful. Not the round river rock type, but the stacked stone look... each piece is 1 inch tall by 6 inches wide and they're stacked and staggered.

If you didn't do wall paper on #4, do top to bottom piece of art that hits you as you walk in OR left to right at eye level, gallery style.

Hope this helps and isn't too vague.
Ruth
November 11, 2012 at 9:45PM     
mmilos
A contemporary chandelier in the center.

the 6-panel doors are quite traditional if going for a contemporary vibe. You may want to replace those.

Grasscloth type textured paper could be elegant.
November 11, 2012 at 10:01PM     
Darzy
I'm going to be boring and say keep it white...with a fab round rug in the center...

November 11, 2012 at 10:08PM     
Crystal
I would have a large circular area rug placed in the center of the foyer with a round table. It can be skirted or wood. Not certain of your taste formal, informal, tansitional or modern. Under the staircase, I would place a bench or two chairs with a nice piece of artwork that speaks to the colors in the rug. If you chose two chairs add a small table and lamp. The wall opposite the doors, I would have a large console table with two lamps with art in the center. Make sure to move your chosen color around the area. Can a chandelier be hung over the intended rug area? As far as wall color goes, I would paint an accent wall on the wall that the plant currently sits on in the photo. In my opinion, I would find a round rug that I fell in love with and allow it to inspire your color scheme. Put the lamps on timers and you've got yourself a winner! All the best!
November 11, 2012 at 11:04PM     
greenthumb2
mosaic would be beautiful, custom light, custom curved wood piece (furniture or sculpture). I will look for some pics. the inset is odd because it is so close to the front door. a bold move would be to deal with that instead of covering it with a carpet. But, if you like the carpet idea; go with something absolutely complimentary to your: architecture, art, and foot traffic.
November 11, 2012 at 11:16PM     
Monique
Awesome ideas so far guys.. Thank you!!! I should add there is a skylight (octagon shaped) above the ugly tile shape...It's close to the doors.. all the rooms are white and need color :)
November 11, 2012 at 11:28PM   
Monique
So you guys think I should keep the bar
rail?
November 11, 2012 at 11:28PM   
greenthumb2
http://www.jrobertscott.com/blog/?cat=1 when I send links, they are to inspire you, to help you elimiate thing...for ideas. just for ideas. :=) Monique, what colors do you and fam feel good around? and materials, do you prefer a mix of woods, glass, metal? thanks. Enjoy the process and do it on your time. Can plan things in cycles.
November 11, 2012 at 11:36PM     
greenthumb2
contrasting some off-white with a color of paint can be luxurious and relaxing. need to know what color makes you feel welcomed.
November 11, 2012 at 11:38PM     
Natalie
You could keep it as is, or you could change it out to brushed nickel or chrome-which could run you some $'s---DO change the hardware thoughout the house to brushed nickel. Fun space... :)
November 11, 2012 at 11:39PM     
greenthumb2
does the bar rail feel good on your hands? if so, and it is metal, you can paint it virtually any color or colors. it takes alot of time to do this and if you have it sprayed there will be overspray. so, cover up the floors and walls, or have it removed, but that is a huge undertaking. cuved wall would look cleaner without the rail but what is safe for you and family? remember codes for stairs and safety. stairs should be treated right since they are an accepted hazard in homes. :=)
November 11, 2012 at 11:47PM     
greenthumb2
http://www.rugs-superstore.com/rug/brand--nature--anji-mountain-bamboo-rug-co
so, the manufacturer is delos and they have a link inside the houzz site here. your rug will change everything about the space so, make sure you like :design, color and work from there. the professional posters here are very good at giving sound advice.

I am more of an ideas person who likes to research. if you go with art sculpture, make sure it is installed with family and guest safety in mind.
November 12, 2012 at 12:20AM     
Crystal
I like the idea of changing the door hardware and handrail to oil rubbed bronze. The rail could be painted that color. You would have to change the door hardware at least on the first floor to the same.
November 12, 2012 at 1:00AM     
cvanrooy
I say keep it simple. A gorgeous round table in the middle with a stunning piece of art and a substantial chandelier. How grande would that look!
November 12, 2012 at 3:22AM     
cvanrooy
Yes keep the rail. Maybe paint it with hammer paint a light shade
November 12, 2012 at 3:25AM     
PRO
Media Decor
'Keenan Wells' above has best suggestions! A very beautiful entry room with great shapes!
November 12, 2012 at 8:10AM     
mpoulsom
Like the rug suggestion for the middle area to cover the tile. I think a curved sofa would be lovely against the opposite wall from the door with maybe 3 pieces of artwork hanging above it. A table/chest on the wall below staircase and perhaps a lamp on it. If not the table and lamp on the wall a big piece of sculpture would be beautiful.

(p.s. not that you have one, nor need one, but the first thought I had when I saw your entry was that a grand piano should be living there!) since that is probably not practical I suggested the above.

Not sure about the railing...but I think I would probably replace the top hand railing with something entirely different. Something in iron or wood maybe, that is unique and artsy!
November 12, 2012 at 9:26AM     
mpoulsom
November 12, 2012 at 9:29AM     
Monique
More great ideas.. I see many recommendations for a grey shade... What other complimentary colors do you guys like for an elegant feel? If I change the flooring in there (refinish and go with a darker wood or different) or tile? I will need to do flooring throughout the house (house built in 1990 andcarpet is everywhere)
November 12, 2012 at 9:49AM   
Susan Williams
This is so very beautiful! I would not change the flooring.
November 12, 2012 at 9:53AM     
Susan Williams
Also, I would not darken the wall colors because you want to retain the lightness and natural light of the space.
November 12, 2012 at 9:54AM     
greenthumb2
I personally like very icy colors for elegance. but that is me. what about you? :=) dudb't realize you were thinking of changing the floor. huge expense but a great floor can make a room. your entrance has a beautiful flow. When I saw it. I thought of a ribbon of color floating all the way around the room. But, I have weird ideas. I also saw s few brights on the wall facing the front door. Can you tell us what really moves you? Reflective surfaces, soft and textured surfaces, ?
November 12, 2012 at 9:57AM     
Susan Williams
Icy colors, yes! Accent the space with light blue, silver, mirrors, reflections.
November 12, 2012 at 10:01AM     
houssaon
I agree that the doors are way too traditional for the space.

Does the photograph distort the room? The wood flooring is very strange, otherwise.
November 12, 2012 at 10:10AM     
mpoulsom
I don't think I would change the whole floor, but you could do something like this and make a cool design or path with a different stain of wood mixed in with your light wood floors that are there now. Just make the path from the front door to curve over and cover the area where the tile inset is now, to eliminate it. It could maybe curve around from the front door over to the steps in the foreground of your pic??? You could use a slightly darker stain on it, but I wouldn't go too dark. This is a very modern look however, not sure this is the feel you are going for.
November 12, 2012 at 10:13AM     
mpoulsom
One other thing that I would do for sure, if it were my home; If a chandelier is not appropriate there because of the skylight....USE that skylight as a chandelier! Hang something in varying lengths around the edge of the skylight. You can hire an artist or make something yourself. Almost like a mobile type look, but attached to the ceiling on the outer edge or inner edge, spaced out evenly. It can be from elegant materials or natural materials, colorful or glass/clear/mirror. Something that when the light hits it, will illuminate and be a beautiful accent for the entry.
November 12, 2012 at 10:32AM     
mcjurkic
Lovely introduction in the foyer with its dramatic lines and high ceiling. Are either of you handy with tools? If you are, one affordable and quite dramatic touch would involve removing a little drywall in the wall exactly opposite the front doors at the other end of the circular foyer. It appears that this wall separates the foyer and perhaps a sunken living room on the other side? Two things that make modern homes exciting are dramatic soaring entry foyers and a direct view from the foyer to another view, say an ocean view, or at least through the living room to the back yard view of the home. If you could cut out 3 or 4 vertical openings (the size of small vertical windows - 14-16 inches wide by 48 - 70 inches long in the circular wall opposite the front doors, you would double the drama of your foyer and instantly make the house more contemporary. Guests would be greeted by the tall soaring foyer with sweeping views to the living space below and the back yard and beyond. This would also make your house appear more spacious and offer longer sight lines through the home, which create the illusion of space, and light can be shared between the foyer and the living room, creating more light throughout. Cutting out the holes in the wall is a simple procedure. You just cut out the empty space between the studs in the said wall tidily with a drywall hand blade, (exacto knife) and finish the openings on the inside of the new holes (the sides of the studs that you've exposed) with a bit more drywall, and do not trim out the new openings. Just finish it all with drywall and a bull nose drywall edge. Sand it smooth, paint and voila, modern, simple, clean lined openings from your foyer with a view into your living space and beyond.
November 12, 2012 at 10:45AM     
mcjurkic
Re: opening up holes in your wall at the opposite end of the foyer doors, keep in mind the location of electrical outlets on either side of the wall, so as to avoid doing any damage to electrical lines that can run vertically or horizontally along the studs.
November 12, 2012 at 10:51AM     
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Love the stair rail as is and love the white! You have some excellent feedback for the prior suggestions - will be interested in seeing which ones 'made an impression" by way of putting them into action - keep us posted!
November 12, 2012 at 10:51AM     
decoenthusiaste
Seeing through to the living space can be beautiful, and having a skylight doesn't eliminate a gorgeous chandelier to hang into the visual space above a beautiful rug and round foyer table.
Consider texture for the stairwell wall.
Foyer
skylights
L. Cramer Builders + Remodelers
Tietjen Foyer
JMA
Transforming Walls Inc.
Island Stone Sandstone Mint Large VTile Wall
November 12, 2012 at 11:10AM     
greenthumb2
off the charts odd, but she has some amazing applications of wall curtains. you have to spend some time in the site to find what it appealing. http://mysticdreamsshoppe.com/customorders1.html I was actually looking for something that could work the wall that faces the door if you keep it contiguous and not break it open. Or, if you do break it open, that could lend itself to something custom from the site here. but, you really have to go fishing in here.
and one more idea: https://www.qualityglassblock.com/loose-glass-block/colored-glass-block
expensive but lovely.
November 12, 2012 at 12:01PM     
Monique
I am loving all of these ideas, wow.. We are moving in January so I am sorting through these and putting together the plan... wine, food and travel are passions... Gaudi is one of my favorites, his work is inspirational.. The backyard is a japanese garden and the house, including kitchen has curves and clean lines.. I want the house to flow.. We will have to do everything in phases .. but I want to take care of the floors and major painting before we move everything in.. Thats why planning now and getting help in order is extremely important.

p.s I am going to post pictures of different rooms of the house in new threads as well.
The picture of the sofa actually made me think of it being perfect for the breakfast nook area with large paneled window space (space rounded, overlooking the backyard large garden) and faces kitchen.
November 12, 2012 at 3:50PM   
PRO
Mark Downing
Consider a new entry door system
November 13, 2012 at 11:17AM     
herblady
I am picturing color and pop art.
November 13, 2012 at 11:26AM     
gingerclaire
Well, if Gaudi is a favourite of yours, maybe you should go for a mosaic option. If you were feeling really brave you could reshape and re-render the balustrade into a more rounded shape and then mosaic over it, Gaudi-style. It would bring colour, and you could choose one of the gentler tones for an accent wall.
November 13, 2012 at 11:52AM     
judianna20
You have some very creative responses to your dilemma. I like Darzy's idea of the all white room with the vignette she posted in the picture and mpoulsom's suggestion of the sofa. Don't fill it up just to fill it up. That is a stunning entry even if you left it bare :>)

November 13, 2012 at 11:56AM   
greenthumb2
mosaic art is amazing. look into the where you'd like to have it; wall, staircase, floor. Then, find out how it stands the test of time and traffic. Much less traffic on a wall or on the sidewall of the staircase but the clean line is very guggenheim museum and that is so beautiful. also there is an amazing website dedicated to mosaic art around the world. available through google.

thank you for telling us when move in date is because I was worried about tearing things up while you are in there. suggest the rug be taken out and new flooring in before bringing in people if possible. Or all but the stairs then do the stairs over time because they can take a beating during a move.
November 13, 2012 at 2:16PM     
greenthumb2
http://www.mosaicworks.com/mosaics/spinoff.html
sonia king. she's done many styles, some organic, some linear, monochromatic and full spectrum. some ideas and styles. good to see a variety.
November 13, 2012 at 2:25PM     
rudytudy5
For GingerClaire's idea of Gaudi-like bannister [great creative idea] perhaps alternate placement for that effect could be the overhang, or pop out at the top of the wall facing the door. That would be interesting too.
November 13, 2012 at 2:33PM     
mpoulsom
greenthumb, those mosaics are beautiful!
November 13, 2012 at 3:34PM     
nevadan
I am disagreeing with most of the foregoing. Keep your cream colored walls. Change the front door to something consistent with the style of the house. Use a curved sofa agaisnt the curved wall - in a soft color. Rose, bluse, or gray. Something without legs. No rugs! Use porcelain tiles in a slate gray color for an area just inside the doorway approximately 6' x 8'. Stunning!
November 13, 2012 at 4:54PM   
greenthumb2
Hi Monique and family,

Some color ideas and textures. Shell tiles.

Maybury home is the site. Located on Houzz. :=)
November 14, 2012 at 12:21AM