Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with framing an existing vanity mirror
mmsqrd
November 11, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have an *4" X 38" vanity wall mirror in my master bath. I remodeled the bath last year with new countertops and flooring and larger shower. Now I would like to put a frame around the mirror. Has anyone use products from MirrorMate or MirrorScapes? Are the difficult to install? I do have one outlet in the lower center of the mirror and am not sure what to do about that.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
BeautifulRemodel.com
Hi mmsqrd,

I have not used those products but have installed quite a few wooden frames over mirrors. I build the entire frame in one piece first (glued, clamped and fastened at the corners) then paint or finish the front, and most importantly, paint the BACK of the mirror frame in matte black. This is because you'll see the reflection of part of the back of the frame in the mirror once its installed, and painting it black makes that reflection barely noticeable.

Once the frame is completely dry, it can be glued to the mirror with an approved glue such as Weldbond.

When you choose the size of the frame molding, make sure it will fit around the outlet of course :)

Hope this helps
~Steve
November 16, 2012 at 8:33pm     
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
Is the mirror installed ? or on a small wall area wise, as I've used glass tile for framing a mirror.
November 16, 2012 at 9:16pm   
Sherry Mau
I did my own framing on two bathroom mirrors. unlike beautifulremodel.com I glued one piece at a time onto mirror(of course i double checked to make sure the frame sides were appropriate sizes for the mirror first) I used liquid nails for mirrors to attach the frame pieces.
November 16, 2012 at 10:07pm   
ravi kaneriya
GOOD
November 16, 2012 at 10:21pm   
PRO
AllThingsTile.com
Tile is always an option when looking for a custom look in a bathroom and it is a project that anyone can do with a little effort.

Get a Few sheets of a mosaic tile that you really like... There are many to choose from.
Mosaic tiles usually come attached to a mesh backing that can be cut with a razor knife. 1"x1" mosaic tile can be cut into strips of 4"x12" and you simply use a mastic (I don't recommend mastic for anything other than these aesthetic type of installations) to bond it to the drywall. To finish the exposed edge of the tile (On the outside perimeter) you can use a coordinating pencil molding made of glass, stone or ceramic or a wood molding.
November 16, 2012 at 10:45pm   
missangel99
On a new build should you frame first, then mirror? I want to do a three part frame on a mirror that is 8 ' long?
January 20, 2013 at 2:19pm   
PRO
BeautifulRemodel.com
Hi Missangel99,

Yes, create the frame first, then add the mirror. In this scenario you'd be using a custom made/templated mirror. You could instead use pre-made mirrors and frame around those, but your sizes are more limited in that case.

~ Steve
January 20, 2013 at 6:52pm   
More Discussions
Keep, Donate or Repupose
We all have items in our home that we have kept through...
Support for overhang?
Our new kitchen island will be 72" long and have a...
I will NEVER have _____ in my home!
What's the one thing (or a few things) you refuse to...
Squeaky floor fixes?
Do you have any squeaky boards in your floor? Have...
How often do you replace everyday flatware?
I noticed that my flatware is on it's last legs. How...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.