powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Looking to update this room with a punch of color..any ideas?
Melanie Burns
November 12, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Looking to update this room with lots of color..any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sunday
I love your floors!
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 4:02PM
inkwitch
Start with a rug. YOur floors are beautiful, but rugs anchor groupings of furniture and areas. It should be big enough for the front legs of all the furniture in that grouping (sofa, chairs) are on the rug. Skimping on size will only ruin the look.

The rug you choose will determine the colors you use for accents, either from the rug or contrasting to it. In this room (and I've no idea what color the walls really are as photos are rarely true to tone), if those walls are sage or an olive-tone tan, an olive/cream/orange rug would work.

But don't let what I see determine your choices. What do you love? What is your favorite color? (If it's purple, you could be in trouble, but a deep plum could work.) Do you prefer geometric patterns or flowers? Search houzz, magazines, and catalogs (websites) for rooms/rugs/looks you like. Then you base your accent colors for your room on that. Have fun! Trust your gut! If you don't love it, don't do it.
2 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 4:08PM
PRO
Robert Petril
This room needs LOUNGE
4 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 4:22PM
charleee
Lots of color? Seriously lots of color? Here you go, for your walls: [houzz=
]
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 4:24PM
nlathomas
I think your wall color is nice. What you need is a lot of accessories. Curtains, pillows, rugs, pictures. My suggestion is to go find some fabric that you love for your curtains and use that as your color palette. It will help to keep you on track.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 4:29PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Dark lime walls, teal rug, pillows of both colors, plus white.
2 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 5:41PM
Melanie Burns
Thanks for all the suggestions! I live the idea of accessorizing, but my husband really hates the wall color and wants some contrasting colours on the walls. I really like the one color suggestion for an accent wall..got any ideas for the rest?
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 5:43PM
PRO
Then go for one wall dark lime and another of teal, or look at my suggestion above.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 5:45PM
judianna20
3 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 5:50PM
Darzy
Apple green would look good with your brown furniture and floors. You could throw in turquoise accents too.

2 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 5:52PM
Natalie
If hubby wants more contrast and interest-well then-here you go... Still a neutral on the wall-deeper---this will recede the walls and all the fun colors will project... CheerS! http://www.etsy.com/listing/80902366/green-pink-and-teal-silk-throw-pillow?ref=usr_faveitems[houzz=
]
5 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 6:04PM
Deborah Cornish
Start by removing all of the clutter, the toys, photos and anything else that blocks your vision. Then proceed with funiture placement and create rooms with in a room. Define your space. Move things out away from the walls. Try on some pillows. Look for Art that takes your breath away. Or paint your own until you find what you want. What are the color of clothes that you wear that make you feel good? Once you have decided on color, Art and such, go for the textiles, rugs drapes, fabrics. I see this room going Global with a mix of things collected from all over the world. the warm wood floors,(considered orange in color) are going to be a part of the design of this room. And a beautiful foundation to work from. Decorating is a process, have fun! I love my large black sheepskin rug, it adds drama and feels wonderful on my feet! I have found that when you want to get the most out of color and a variety of it, black, your sofa, can make it sing. Primitives can play it up too. Lighting is everything. Lamps, chairs and tables from India, Africia, Mexico,ect, can all add color. Fountians and plants can bring the outdoors in. What is your natural light like? For the focal wall, I would look at the fireplace and paint your wall darker than the other walls in the same color family. Why, to keep the space from closing in. The walls the color that they are with the floors will enlarge the space.
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 10:12PM
greenthumb2
Melanie, what are your three favorite bright colors, that is between the two of you? Have a little pow wow. One of them will probably work just right in this space. Tell us what you both think would work in your lives.
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 11:49PM
PRO
Antique Architectural Decor
Make sure you put colors on the wall and look in different light. The current color is okay. Think about crown moulding and as others have suggested a rug to ground the area.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 7:28AM
PRO
Antique Architectural Decor
Make sure you put colors on the wall and look in different light. The current color is okay. Think about crown moulding and as others have suggested a rug to ground the area.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 7:28AM
dcer
I would paint the room a rusty red. Then bring in patterned drapes, pillows, accessories, and rugs. You may also want to get fun accent chairs and a coffee table to anchor the seating area. Then, replace your current light fixture with something bigger and more up to date. Good luck!
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 6:55PM
lynnth
Some variation of green would look nice in that room - as a rug or wall color or whatever. I would go out and find one thing you love - a picture, vase, rug, whatever - and decorate around that. The room will really "vibe" with you if you start with one piece you just absolutely love!
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 1:25PM
stevi
Adding an area rug to complement the color of your choice would look great- love the fireplace - is that a window pane mirror to the left. I would take that and hang it horizontally over the fireplace- it needs something larger over it.
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 1:57PM
giggles60
A rug was my first thought.
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 11:36AM
dsma
First you have to decide what colors you like. Then I would purchase a throw rug say 8x10 or 9x12.
Once you purchased the rug you can use the colors from the rug to accent. Pillows , accessories, plants and so on. Make sure your couch and chairs at least the back legs sits on the rug. Explore rugs first and price them out. You will be surprise what you can find on sale. Good luck
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 12:47PM
maggie23mad
I would do the walls in a rich caramel color (like a deeper version of the floors), paint the fireplace white (the panelling would look like beadboard)....and go from there, with hot pink and teal pillows, accent chairs, flokati rug anchoring it. Would be fresh,...also, would find a place for a bamboo table, or natural woven lamp bases.....
0 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 5:53AM
dsma
first tell me what colors do you like. Blues, brown, yellow, greens, or reds. then we can start working.
0 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 9:42AM
More Discussions
Kitchen Counter Dilemma!
Hi everyone! It's my first time posting! My husband...
Marissa DiGennaro Burg
Dilemmas without end.
Not exactly a design question, but is there a competition...
flopsycat1
New apartment!
Just moved in. Here's a few photos of the living and...
Julian Velez
Kitchen counter help
We are planning on painting the cupboards white, installing...
raybran
Need master bedroom furniture help!!
Hi there- we just upgraded to a king size mattress/...
brockwem
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.