Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Wrong Paint Color!
Erica Wernery
November 12, 2012 in Design Dilemma
My husband and I are getting ready for our first child in just a month and decided to give all of our bedrooms makeovers, not just the nursery. One of our bedrooms acts as my home office. I gave my husband the paint swatches to get for each of the rooms. He started with painting my office and when I got home I realized it is the wrong color...like really the wrong shade of blue (and I'm not very fond of the color). The room is painted and partially back in order. Now my dilemma is what to do with the room...repaint or deal with the color? I may have to sign divorce papers if their is repainting involved lol.

I picked the shade of blue I did because I wanted the room to be "beach inspired." Any ideas on what to do using the existing blue walls to create the tranquil feel of the beach? Sidenote, I also picked the color blue I did because it complimented the existing molding. (1920's Arts and Crafts Bungalow, wide stained wood.)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
Boy, that does seem to the wrong shade of blue doesn't it? I would repaint if it were me. PIA, I know, but it's better than looking at it every day. I suggest you go with a blue that has more gray in it. Ben Moore #1620 is gorgeous. But try a sample first.
November 12, 2012 at 11:07am   
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
Hi Erica, I have painted a room too and then hated the color when it was done, it even was the color I had picked, so I feel your pain. But here is what i can tell you form that experience, once you get everything in the room: furniture, artwork, accessories, fabrics, it will all come together and your paint color wont be a s noticeable. Its all about how you pull the entire room together in the end that really makes it look good. i definitely still get a beachy feel from that color but it looks like it is a little bolder than what you had wanted, so i would tone it down a little with neutrals, which also give off a beachy feel. But I do think this blue still complements the wood color you have and it is a nice color. Good luck and if you can provide a little more info on the other things going on in the room or what you had planned to add to the space I might be able to help a little more.
November 12, 2012 at 11:08am     
houssaon
One of the things wrong I see that you use a paint with a glossy finish. You should use matte on the walls. It is washable and the matte doesn't reflect light so the color is truer.

I say repaint. Since you only have to do the walls and no trim it should not take so long. If your husband doesn't want to do it, you can. It is not that hard. Why live with a mistake? We all make them.

Maybe you could go with a sand color for the beach theme and stay away from blue. This Warm Sand will look nice with the trim:
November 12, 2012 at 11:11am   
nking43
You could also just repaint one of the walls.

I had a similar experience with a blue bathroom. I repainted the wall that is visible from outside the room.
November 12, 2012 at 3:47pm     
Aja Mazin
Repaint.
November 12, 2012 at 4:19pm   
charleee
I just finished painting my living room with the dining room left to go, I wouldn't suggest repainting to anyone. Tone down the blue with the rest of the beachy colors, tan and off-white. Surf, sand and sky. I think you'll be ok.
November 12, 2012 at 4:27pm     
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
It is your choice...but you can work with the blue. This blue is calming and once you get artwork and accessories and the room complete it will have a different feel. It just might be overwhelming at first. You can add items that have a softer blue, yellows or tans to help bring that beachy feel.
November 12, 2012 at 4:30pm   
charleee
If you're having a boy, can you give him this room?
November 12, 2012 at 4:31pm     
Erica Wernery
Having a girl and I'll be posting pictures of her room soon! I think the paint color got tinted a darker blue because I'm using navy blue for the nursery and maybe there was some excess blue in the machine. Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I think I'm going to paint the molding white and add change up some of the wall art and window coverings. *fingers crossed!*
November 13, 2012 at 6:27am     
Amber Jennings
It would be a shame to paint over the trim!
November 13, 2012 at 6:47am     
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Try test quarts of paint before painting the whole room over so you can make sure you like the next color. And as someone above said, flat paint is better for walls.
November 13, 2012 at 7:01am   
Natalie
Hi Repaint! Trust me-you'll never be happy unless you do. I LOVE Houssaon's suggestion and think it perfect for your space-would look nice with the wood trim too. Use a Flat Finish...
Pic for inspiration showing wall color and decor ideas. Good Luck!
[houzz=
]
November 13, 2012 at 7:50am   
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Oh kiddo - sounds as if your fear of divorce will keep you from painting over (lol) I know tuff to re-do but in this case - agree with the others - Paint Again! No gloss and lighter shade.
November 13, 2012 at 8:11am   
Madeline
In an Arts and Crafts Bungalow with original wood trim please strongly reconsider painting the trim white. You may be sorrier than you are now with the blue paint color. I agree also with the others who think the shine makes the color a degree less acceptable. So it looks like hubby will be repainting. But paints today are so great including those that include primers so this step is now unnecessary. I think your husband will do just about anything to keep his eight-months pregnant wife happy, don't you?
November 13, 2012 at 8:38am     
mpoulsom
I don't think it's that bad...according to my monitor anyway??.....but I understand where you are coming from. I actually had this exact thing happen to me, eccept thankfully the paint wasn't glossy. It WAS flat. Painted my "beach porch" ceiling blue. Man came home with an entirely different color than what I had picked out. So I made the trip back to home depot myself, got them to add some more of another color to the can to get a more soothing color. It worked. I am an artist though and knew what to tell them to do. Turned out beautifully. In your case, because you have already painted the entire room, I would either repaint, OR you could do some sort of "non-dramatic" wash over this with a watered down beige/gray/white color. You may can find a duller finish glaze as well to go over what you have now. I like your stained trim, but if it's too much for you, do paint it a soft beige/white.
No matter what, the others are right about it not looking quite so bad with other elements being added to the room itself. My opinion anyway. Good luck!
November 13, 2012 at 8:43am     
Aja Mazin
White trim will only intensify the blue you do not like.
November 13, 2012 at 1:24pm   
feeny
I would not paint your lovely trim. Just change the wall color if you don't like it (I actually think it's a nice blue). Maybe a softer aqua?
Gentle Gray 1626 by Benjamin Moore
Silvery Moon 1604 Benjamin Moore
November 13, 2012 at 1:55pm