Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Paint color for room with Mahogany wall
shelmae7
November 12, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I recently purchased a 1955 home with a vaulted ceiling in the main room, which encompasses the living room, dining room and kitchen. The north wall of the living room has a brick fireplace and a single french door, and the rest of the wall is dark mahogany paneling, original to the home. All of the doors and trim match this paneling.
Usually I am very comfortable choosing paint colors, but I don't know what would look best with this wall, which I want to keep. nothing has been painted so I'm completely open to suggestions. I tend to like more cheerful, almost Mexican inspired colors. I dont go for grey. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
I like to start with a color that is already in the room so everything is singing on the right key. Maybe the grout in the brick? or is that too gray? Maybe you are using an area rug and can choose a color from there? A color from art? I like to paint all rooms white or off-white. I find the right color in the light fringe of a rug or a painting etc. I like my decorative objects + art + area rugs to be the divas, not a bright wall paint. One of my favorite decors on Houzz is Hacienda Chic. They used white wall paint and colorful furnishings etc. Hacienda Chic Residence

Sometimes they painted one wall a bright color, but I'd probably stick to white. Here are more photos of the rooms in Hacienda Chic: Project: Hacienda Chic Residence
November 12, 2012 at 6:42PM   
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shelmae7
Thank you for the Hacienda Chic decor and for your suggestions! so fun. I May end up painting the fireplace (or tiling it) and painting the room while with an accent wall that will tie in the kitchen.
November 13, 2012 at 11:44AM     
More Discussions
Suggestions for living room
Now that we finally have the main pieces purchased...
What colour wallpaper
I'm wondering what kind of wallpaper would look best...
Tear down the wall or finish the wall?
We have this 1970s era stucco wall that cuts through...
Need help for home exterior...please!
My husband and I have bought a fixer up. We love the...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.