Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Asymmetrical fireplace redo - entire wall?, arch? ... design questions
p9clarke
November 12, 2012 in Design Dilemma
New house for me; want to get rid of orange box, will be painting the entire living room area; replace existing fireplace with 1) floor to ceiling and all the way to left wall with similar type stone veneer (and wood mantel cap), 2) floor to mid-height all the way to left wall (and mantel) example: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/193813/Need-help-with-fireplace or 3) symmetrical fireplace to mid-height surrounded by "regular" wall example: Ideabook: examples 1
Also- top of firebox straight or arch- how to decide? Ideabook: examples 2
Hoping to go white/light with wood and neutral/brown furniture/accents- natural/rustic.
Worst case scenario: budget fails, then what color to paint the box?!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lefty47
HI -- I love the fireplace you have , I just don't care for the color and the shelves. It is not really asymmetrical as you call it . The reason this style was made this way was to provide a space on the side for the fireplace tools and wood holder. It's nice and modern - is this in a mid century house ? -because this style is from that time .If it was mine I would not change it to the country style one in your example photo. When you paint the walls just paint the fireplace orange over after you remove the shelves with a color that is two shades darker than the wall color but this depends on the wall color you are going to choose . Or paint over the orange color with a color that is in the stone, like maybe a darker cream or a tan color. Anyway I think the fireplace is great and I would not change the style.
2 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 2:35PM
PRO
mohment
I agree, I happen to really like the look as it is, but would add some long shelves that intersect the "box" on the adjacent wall. Maybe paint the box a color that doesn't contrast so much with the rest of the space. Maybe a mid grey? Try adding 3 vertical mirrors to the box so it will look as if the wall is extending into that space.
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 2:41PM
smldesigns
Hi,
Are you sure that the orange wall wasn't an add-on? I wouldn't be surprised is you have stone under it? Do you like the stone you have? If so, i would put a long mantel several inches in from the right side carried all the way over to the same number if inches from the left side. I would then fill the left hand space on the hearth with something substantial such as large container with a plant in it. I would then center a painting over the fireplace and leave the rest of the mantle empty - except for the holidays:) If on the other hand you were to remove all the brick and replace just around the fire box you would still have a fireplace that is off center on the wall. If you don't like the stone, you could always paint it. Based on your table that I see in the picture, I don't know that you are drawn to the contemporary so I would remove the wall first and see what you have. Keep us posted.
2 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 3:09PM
p9clarke
Thanks for your comments.
House is a ranch style built in 1964. Nothing else about it is modern.
I most definitely agree that the orange box is an add-on. Not sure what is behind the box or the stone.
Neither the table, shelves on the wall, etc is mine. Perhaps I'll start with painting the box and go from there.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 3:33PM
movethisnotthat
I think you might be right smidesigns, wondering myself if the orange wall was an add-on too ???
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 3:35PM
smldesigns
I wonder if you can take off the shelves and look through the holes and see what's there???
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 3:37PM
nancysterling
I think you should make all attempts you can to update this wall. At a minimum, remove the orange box. I like the idea of having a mantle-- either with the stone ending at that height, or adding a wood mantle on top of the stone. I, too, have a very unbalanced fireplace that I fretted over for years. I decided to deal with the entire space above the mantel as if it was centered, and hung a very large mirror, centered. I think a fireplace needs to make a large statement. That is why the small shelves don't work, that, and the fact that the fireplace looks like it is an afterthought to the orange box.
In your case, I would add some dark, metal decorating pieces that will balance the dark area of the fireplace-- perhaps big baskets, some floor lanterns or large candlesticks to the hearth area. That area should look like you planned it, and look like it is part of the fireplace itself.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 3:42PM
missymo
That box looks as if it is drywall. If so I would be concerned about safety and code. I would suggest removing it. Next I would have a cabinet built from ceiling to hearth to the left keeping that code in mind. You can then add that beautiful mantle. For example, this one is from Aneka Interiors on Houzz. And Oak Hill Architects also on Houzz.
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 3:56PM
christyhennessey
I had the same problem and came up with this easy, low cost solution. You may want to get a screen that is smaller and fits the opening, paint the orange to be more neutral. It is actually a nice fireplace but the orange and yellow walls don't work.
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 4:53PM
p9clarke
Yes christyhennessey- I referenced your fireplace in my original post!
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 4:59PM
PRO
Sari Moore Interiors
I would address this issue with paint. I would select a color for the room from the stone. I would most likely lean toward one of the middle range colors. Keep the tone of hardwood floor in mind...you want to make sure wall color blends well with with overall stone color and floor. Paint everything the same color. Contrast of any kind will only draw attention to the lack of visual balance. Use color in a great piece of art over the or leaning on the shelves. Present balance in the room by repeating color with a great looking throw, pillows, area rug, fresh flowers.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 8:08PM
PRO
By Design EK
I don't like how the orange box hangs over the firebox so i would remove it also. I like the above idea about incorporating some built-in shelving or cabinet type of look to the left of the fireplace. This will give some more interest as well as practical storage. For me too much of this stone in a room with lower ceilings just feels to heavy. What style are you going for in your home? If you have a more traditional style then definitely incorporate some wood work and wood trim. Also is this a TV viewing area or just sitting area? That will make a difference in the design also. I think you do have to have someone look at it to give you an idea of expense and what needs to be done. It looks to me like the orange box is cut in to the existing stone and so you will probably have to replace it all, which might be good as it would give you a blank slate!
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 6:50AM
jeanette mac
It is hard to say not seeing the rest of your room or at least inspiration pictures on the style you want to achieve for your space. I think I can visualize what you are thinking. I hear white/light palette with neutral rustic elements. I am thinking of driftwood. I know that the fireplace as it is would drive me crazy. I think it would be cool to have the bricks a warm white....love that! The bricks are so textural painted. The box is a challenge but painted the same white as the bricks would unify the fireplace wall. I can see the whole living room the same white. A weathered wood mantel (think driftwood tone) would look really pretty. A beautiful piece of art in a watery palette on that box would really be nice! Agent rid of the fireplace screen. If glass doors are in the budget, that would improve. Here are a few pics from Houzz for inspiration. Good luck!
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 7:44AM
jeanette mac
Or you could paint bricks white and cover the box in weathered wood and hang a Beachy toned painting with neutral palette in the whole room.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 7:48AM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Do like your idea p9darke of beginning with painting box first and go from there but yellow walls must go! The four photos above show nice white and it might work in this space, especially near the sliding glass window. Your original question - how far up? - I agree with your example photo - halfway up is best in this space.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 8:00AM
jeanette mac
On the weathered wood note here is an example from Houzz
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 8:10AM
apple_pie_order
I agree that the orange box and fashionable stacked stone veneer look like very recent add-ons. I'd dismantle the orange box, see what is under there. Please consider writing a polite letter to the previous owners asking where you can buy more of the beautiful stone and ask by the way, if there is brick or stone under the orange box?

If you like the stacked stone, then maybe you can reuse it. Then I'd call in a masonry person to remove the stone down to the top of the fireplace and build up as high as the recycled stone will go. Top off with a mantlepiece and a large painting or mirror.

The asymmetric design in the corner allows you to put a chair and lamp in the corner without blocking the view of the fireplace.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 8:16AM
p9clarke
I do like photos posted by jeanette mac. Some of the furniture that I have is darker wood more like photo, so I'm pondering how to do fireplace and have white with light wood floors and darker furniture. I do believe the current stone has to go if I go for mostly white look. ?

0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 11:53AM
More Discussions
need help picking color of kitchen floor tile
green cabinets, white princess quartzite countertops,...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Need to choose a stain by tomorrow for red oak floors!!
We had someone put in solid red oak flooring, and I'm...
Building a custom home- choosing bathroom vanity styles
Hello! I am currently choosing our bathroom vanity...
what should we do to the front of this plain house??
Need landscaping and flower boxes or shutters or SOMETHING!...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.