powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Love it. Hate it. My Living Room Needs Your Help! Good karma awaits you.
Dan M
November 12, 2012 in Design Dilemma
So I like one side of my living room (the side with the TV, Fireplace, two media consoles and two opposing couches) - but the other side needs some serious help.

You can't see it in these pictures, but the living room is rather large and has water views during the day out all the windows the other side is open to the dining room, so there is really only one solid wall and that's the one with the fireplace.

The challange is that it's almost too big. So we put these ugly too small chairs, guitars, plants, etc. But now it simply looks junky. I'm thinking about getting two larger chairs (perhaps swivel - but generally I don't like the looks of them). I'm looking for help with picking them.

Also, any ideas for cleaning up the clutter? I'm thinking hanging the guitars on the wall in one corner and gettting a larger plant for the other corner. Any other ideas?

Here is a link to my pinterest page for chairs options I'm looking at: http://pinterest.com/mcnam1/living-room-chairs/

I'm debating swivel or not and colors. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msslynne
Take the two smaller chairs away from the window, put them at either side of the fireplace in the same angle as you have them now (you can still use a small table between them if you like, I do). Place the couches back to back across the center of the room-one facing the window where the chairs are now-the other facing the fireplace (couches do look like too much for the room, but you have them may as well use them right?!) in between them you could place a long side table with lamps or knick knacks, plant to divide the space. Or simply scoot the couch on the left side of the screen down to in front of that window (where chairs are now) and place the other couch only across the room facing the fireplace, so you have kind of an 'L' shape with the couches-creating 2 full sitting areas with division. I don't think it looks cluttered and like your idea of guitars on the wall, the chairs will look the right size when they are placed closer to the anchor of the fireplace-I would then add a bit more to the other end of the room to cozy it up bit. Overall you have a great spae here.
2 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 10:50PM
greenthumb2
I'll bet you have a view out of one of those windows. Agree to make the fireplace area more intimate. Consider a 3 large floor pillows is you can find something your like. If no one in home is a "floor person", think about a small bench for stoking fire. That is if it isn't gas. :=) You do have a beuatiful room and furnishings. understated at classic. Am a firm believer in art above the fireplace if the heat won't ruin it. PS. The glass jugs by the photo are beautiful. Can find more of those, just a few in larger sizes as well. Would be pleasant, or go with a cashmere or fine wool throw.
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 11:42PM
Keerthi Naidu
You have the perfect opportunity to create multiple conversation areas in this space. Take a look at this Ideabook for some inspiration, I think it will really help:
1 Like   November 13, 2012 at 3:05PM
lionscale
You have a beautiful space. I have a much smaller TV room but the fireplace with a shelving unit sits on either side of it similar to yours. We mounted the TV on top of the fireplace and purchased cord covers that stick or screw to wall (paint it the wall color) and it hides everything beautifully. Then you need to add some symmetry to the two storage units. I like the rectangular picture but you need to mount it to the wall and do the same on the other side. It could be two square pictures but they should both sit at the same height. Also the find a new location for the plant (?spider plant).

Personally I like having the ability to change up the furniture positioning so don't get hung up on the perfect location. Have fun with it. Maybe move the couch by the wall openings so its next to the other one and creates and L shape then move the two chairs where that couch was. Purchase a sofa table or buffet and if you still have space that you want to fill than a nice chaise lounge over where the two chairs were.

The fireplace needs to pop out more. Maybe darken the wall color behind it. You can always change up the mantle but a coat of paint may be all it takes to freshen up that wall.

You don't need the two rugs. Pick your favourite and place it by the couch sitting area. The last thing is a lamp. You have lots of ceiling light but there is the soft glow from a table lamp is very effective. Could be table or standing. I would also see what the curtains look like without the ties. I don't know if you open and close them a lot or how heavy the material is but the windows are so large and they may look better if they hang down straight instead of tied back. Can't wait to see what changes you make but realize you are lucky to have all this space and change it a few times a year.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 3:59PM
PRO
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
You two are so cute and gosh, who couldn't use good karma.....first, I can imagine a beautiful shimmery view then I see some clean, contemporary almost mid-century lines with a bit of urban loft with natural materials plus art which leads me to ask if you two would prefer more of a layered library style or perhaps a clean mod rock and roll style? Or neither? : )
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 5:01PM
noankwaters
I think moving the chairs near the fireplace as suggested is a great idea or use as dining room chairs(?). I checked your Pinterest chair page and personally like the Cardiff Tufted Armchair from Pottery Barn as it would give some "weight" to the other end of the room!
1 Like   November 13, 2012 at 5:51PM
Dan M
Thanks everyone! These are great ideas and very helpful. We really appreciate the help!

MSSLYNE - I'm going to try the chair ideas and the curtains ideas immediately. Love them. Also going to hang the guitars tomorrow. Love the out of the box thinking. Gives me plenty of ideas for 'mixing it up' when we get bored of the house.

GREENTHUMB2 - Thanks. I have a throw I already put out. Looks great. I'm looking today for at least one more of those glass jugs. Thanks.

KEERTHI - Thanks for the tip. Great stuff here. Really brings the ideas of making two seperate areas, doing the back to back couches, etc. to life!

LIONSCALE - Thank you. The fireplace currently projects out about 6" from the wall. I did think about creating a fake "chimney" by putting two layers of stacked drywall running above the chimney (see attached pic). I was thinking this would give the room some vertical interest (since our ceilings are only 8' high) and bring the fireplace out more as a focal point. Thoughts? I'm also getting slim line floor lamp to help reading on the couch. (there is already one lamp in the corner by the fireplace, but it doesn't really show well in the picture - it's hard to tell what it is).

INISIDEOUT - Thanks! You nailed the design 'look' we have. I'm not sure though where we are taking it. I'm not sure what layered library or mod rock and roll style is... any links to help?

NOANKWATERS - Thanks. I like those chairs too, but the folks at the store yesterday mentioned that button tufting is difficult with kids and cats. They like to play with them and it's the first thing to go.

Other Ideas:
- What do you all think about crown molding? Good idea or Horrible idea?
- I'm going move those chairs to the dinning room and then buy some bigger swivel chairs asap to add 'weight' to the other end of the room. I'll try them on both sides to see what works best.
- Also, I've already removed the artwork and small plants in the far corners and put a much bigger single plant in one corner and that helped a ton! I'll post some pictures when it is done. Thanks all!
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 9:56AM
Dan M
Living Room Fireplace
1 Like   November 14, 2012 at 9:59AM
decoenthusiaste
I know this is close to the dining room, but no one mentioned the thought of a game/snack/homework table at the end of the room once the chairs are moved. Might consider it...
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 11:33AM
PRO
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Wow, your elevation is great! I'm glad my style guesses were right and to explain further here's a quick sketch of a Library direction. Judging from your layering skills I think the 'busy' walls are good for you. While my colors are olive green, purple, browns with black and white which I'm imagining in a 70's handsome style, the femininity enters via some of the frames being gold and curvy. I think women look extra good in a handsome environment, due to contrast. Also, I would take the drapes to each corner with grommets on silver rods (could paint existing). Paisley, stripes, menswear patterns. Just a concept.... :-)
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 2:03PM
movethisnotthat
good one for bookmarking, great space, looking forward to more pictures
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 2:29PM
More Discussions
Foyer chest decor
Please help me think of items/colors to use on this...
Divine White SW a good trim/molding color?
We are in process of building and have a lot of trim....
New layout
Working on my site http://getplusfollowers.com what...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.