Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Black honed granite or soapstone?
Margaret Chappell
November 13, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Does anyone know the difference in price, durability and overall look/feel of these?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dafianti
In Indonesia we produce lots of granite also soap stone, but we use more granite to make counter top for kitchen set and using it as tiles because it's more strong than soapstone, personally i like more granite but it's more expensive here....hope it can help
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 1:22AM
dafianti
Pyrophyllite, a mineral very similar to talc, is sometimes called soapstone in the generic sense since its physical characteristics and industrial uses are similar,[citation needed] and because it is also commonly used as a carving material. However this mineral typically does not have such a soapy feel as that from which soapstone derives its name.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 1:25AM
Margaret Chappell
Thank you for the responses
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 1:44AM
PRO
Jamie Herzlinger
Honed granite will stain just as much as soapstone. Because soapstone does have talc, it makes it a bit more difficult to find the slabs. As the talc makes thenstonemsoft. Yearsbagomwhen MarthanStewart used itnin her kitchen, the material really caught on. You will find a dark dark green which once sealed will have an appearance of ones black granite. Soapstone is lovely, you use mineral spirits to clean it and its great. They both will show stains however. It's like a leather saddle. I have specified both for clients.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 4:46AM
Margaret Chappell
Thank you, do you know about pricing?
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 11:44AM
kell856
If you have a good soapstone dealer nearby (where you can choose your slab, I say soapstone. We recently remodeled our kitchen with soapstone and LOVE it. It's very low maintenance and classic. We have a few friends who also used soapstone, and they all love it, too. I can't recall exactly what we paid, but I believe it was $80/sq ft?? I remember the price was close to a higher-end granite. Totally worth it.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 7:01PM
feeny
I'm perplexed by the description of soapstone as staining. It only shows oil or water marks if you haven't oiled or waxed it, and the marks aren't permanent. When oiled or waxed soapstone doesn't stain at all. In fact, that's one of its virtues--it is impervious to chemicals or heat. We've had soapstone counters for three years and love them. It does, however, need to be oiled or waxed fairly frequently in the first year and at least a few times a year after that. And if you want the finish looking perfectly even and glossy all the time you need to do it a bit more often. It scratches, but the scratches disappear into the patina the minute you wipe it with a sponge (if shallow) or dab on a bit of oil or soapstone wax (if deeper). The maintenance isnt at all onerous, but it also isn't for everyone.

The price differs in different parts of the country. In our area, like kell's, soapstone is similar in price to a higher end granite.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 7:14PM
Margaret Chappell
Thank you, I will post pictures of the area later today ans would love everyone's opinion on which stone to use.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 5:40AM
feeny
Just so you know, they will look very similar if you go with the darker almost-black soapstone. The main difference in the look of the dark soapstone vs black honed granite will be in the soapstone's veining. There are also slightly lighter soapstones that look medium-gray or charcoal with white veining when oiled.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 5:58AM
Margaret Chappell
Ok, thank you. I appreciate the information.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 6:00AM
feeny
But we'd love to see pictures!
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 6:07AM
More Discussions
Boring Bedroom needs Quickie Update
I've grown tired of my minimalist bedroom and I am...
We are buying this house in two weeks
Owners just redid kitchen. It isn't my taste but if...
Need advice on elevation(brick and stone). which one you like?
Hi, my house inside will be contemporary style and...
Need help with red lacquer chest and gray fireplace
Trying to decorate my living room while working with...
Where to put color in my white kitchen
I live in a trailer I have a small eat in kitchen with...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.