powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help deciding on fireplace surround material.
timglidden
November 13, 2012 in Design Dilemma
So our full renovation is coming along..now it's time to decide the fireplace material. We are thinking the bottom 2x4 tumbled stone going all the way up and around the fireplace. But I am hesitant how this stone will look turning the corners.

Any one have any other suggestions such as tile etc... We are going for a transitional/ rustic modern design.

Another note- any suggestions on floor color it's site finished #2 red oak.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Glass tile would be a good option for that wall and would create lots of visual interest. The picture below is an example of tile on a fire place wall. It doesn't have to look that modern, however. There are many different tile options that can give you the more rustic look that you desire. Ocean style bottle glass, for example, has rough edges that make it much less stark, and they come in many colors, shapes sizes and finishes.
November 13, 2012 at 7:23AM     
charleee
I like this fireplace for you: [houzz=
]
November 13, 2012 at 7:26AM     
PRO
Mona Ives
I think stacked stone will look good, have the rustic look and have cleaner edges. You could also just use a flat slate which will give you the same effect and be easier to install.
November 13, 2012 at 7:52AM     
PRO
Transforming Rooms
If you look at various photos of rooms with fireplaces, you might find you like the look with the wooden surround removed, (you could continue the same stone from floor to ceiling). It's a nice clean look which would draw your eye up to the beam ceiling. Here are a couple of photos, and there are lots of ideas for room transformations, selecting paint colors, interior design ideas, & decorating at:
http://www.interiordesigngreensboro.com

and
http://www.Transformingroom.com
November 13, 2012 at 10:35AM     
pollyannagal
The only way to make the stone you show work around corners is to mitre it which is tricky so expensive, and even then it would not look great as there is so much colour variation between each piece of stone. As your floor is not a solid colour I would go for a more uniform stone (such as the second picture suggested above by Transforming Rooms) or your room will be very busy looking.
November 13, 2012 at 12:43PM     
PRO
PRO
Dytecture
The stone you chose is more uniformed so it would be more towards contemporary.

November 13, 2012 at 3:34PM     
PRO
Cottage Craft Tile
The split face stone is nice but can be tough to maintain if this is a useable wood burning fireplace. You definitely want to keep a warmer look with all that natural wood flooring. What is your style? If it's more contemporary, you may want to consider a glass/stone mix mosaic. If you're after a more elegant look you may want to consider marble. If your home is more traditional the porcelain stone looks or a hand crafted tile would be nice. You can check out some of my fireplace surround photos at jvtile.webs.com in the photo gallery.
November 13, 2012 at 4:46PM     
timglidden
It's a gas fireplace.... Thanks for all the input!!! The corner turn with the 2x4 stone sounds like it may be tough....

The floors are still unfinished and are either staying natural or going a dark walnut....
November 13, 2012 at 6:14PM   
sonomamama
I vote for the stacked stone idea as Mona Ives suggested! I think it may be easily made to go around corners, as well. AND if you have nice local stone, even better. Best to you!
November 13, 2012 at 7:01PM   
PRO
Old Carolina(R) Handmade Brick Co
I think stacked stone is a little trendy right now and will look dated in 10 years or so. You might try genuine handmade thin brick from www.handmadebrick.com. They have been around for thousands of years.
November 14, 2012 at 6:09AM     
pivoines
I think the second tile example from the top is beautiful, I would do the entire fireplace with it , no problem turning the corners, you cut the tiles straight at the end but extending the cut slightly to the thickness of the tile, so when you start the sides you butt it to the front of the fireplace tile being careful to match the design and cut half small tiles. An easier way would be to get a stone that has corner designs with it. Frankly a professional would know and might be able to show you how to do it (for a fee) good luck the house is beautiful.
November 14, 2012 at 6:14AM     
maggiesetler
I vote for leaving the floor natural and something simple for the fireplace.
Or if you really want the stone look I would stain the floor a medium tone so that more of the focus is on the fireplace
November 14, 2012 at 7:46AM   
chbykarl
I recently reclaimed a bedroom with a fireplace in a feet old home, customer wanted to stay traditional yet somewhat modern. I used 3x6 polished limestone with a hand made mantle to match existing trim in the room. Limestone is BEAUTIFUL!
November 14, 2012 at 7:51AM     
PRO
Granite Transformations
Hi Tim,

I really like the look of stacking stone for the fireplace. I think with the rustic sort of feel your living room already has, from the wood flooring and beam, it would be a great fit. I'm attaching two pictures below.

I like the second the most, with the space for storing firewood. The built-in book cases are also very nice. But definitely the stone would be my suggestion. You have a great space, good luck with your decision!

Thanks.
November 14, 2012 at 8:46AM     
PRO
Architectural Justice
Looks like the start to a beautiful room! Check out these fireplace pictures for some ideas to achieve the look you are going for.
November 14, 2012 at 10:10AM     
plmtb
@ Granite Transformations - could you tell me where you got the picture on the left? Thank you!
November 14, 2012 at 10:15AM   
PRO
Buechel Stone Corp
plmtb it looks a lot like this;)

November 14, 2012 at 10:19AM     
sparkbug
take a look at this product, it's easier to install (or so I've been told), beautiful, and the ochre is rustic looking. The white and gray are beautiful too. http://www.norstoneusa.com/products/stacked-stone-cladding. It is real stone ...
November 14, 2012 at 11:27AM     
timglidden
Wow tons of ideas! Thank you all for the input!

a bit off topic but what is everyone's opinion on staining the cedar shake the same color as painted brick...yay or nay ?
November 14, 2012 at 11:40AM   
Jay Scaletta
Definately go with stacked stone. It will look more rustic, and blend well with the flooring material.
November 14, 2012 at 11:50AM     
careclare
NAY! on staining the cedar shake a cream color. I would want a coordinating color that sets the cedar apart from the brick! It will turn gray without something. It would be worth it to do a clear coat of something protective to keep the original color. Otherwise why have cedar. That is the character of the place! When you green landscaping goes in, you will be glad. I am not a designer, and am pretty traditional. A ranch style tends to be a little stark...plain lines, so keep the accent!
November 14, 2012 at 12:47PM     
careclare
Stacked stone, or flag stone. Something with a little texture and color variation. The darker you go on the wood, the more formal the look. Light to medium finish on the flooring.If you do a clear to neutral it WILL bring out the color variation...more rustic that way!
November 14, 2012 at 12:51PM     
careclare
Stacked stone, or flag stone. Something with a little texture and color variation. The darker you go on the wood, the more formal the look. Light to medium finish on the flooring.If you do a clear to neutral it WILL bring out the color variation...more rustic that way!
November 14, 2012 at 12:51PM     
PRO
Art Consulting Online LLC
What about using brick for your fireplace surround? The outside of your house is brick. Then you could get a wonderful painting or work on paper to put in the center over the fireplace. Please refer to one of our photographs posted here on Houzz, for an example.
Sincerely,
Art Consulting Online
November 14, 2012 at 1:02PM     
concordhome
I love your wood floors.Unless you are a super housekeeper, please don't go too dark on the floor. Very trendy right now but doesn't look good if not kept dust free. A lighter color is a little more forgiving for a busy household especially if you have children and/or pets.
November 14, 2012 at 5:09PM   
h2oville
We are now installing ledgestone...everyone loves it!! It's a little rustic, but a little different, too. I would stain the cedar a darker tone. Look at the color charts, and go about 4 or 5 shades darker than cream .
November 15, 2012 at 3:21AM   
Arlen Dau
You have lots of great suggestions here for the front. I won't add to those, only that I think the size and shape should be larger than 2x4. Since you are investing so much, I think you should also consider making the fireplace wider. Right now it is too narrow for the wide wall. Another 2-3 feet on each side would give the fireplace greater importance and show off the stone or tile.
November 15, 2012 at 4:56AM     
jazzbug
For the fireplace surround, I wouldn't go with stone, brick or tile. I would use reclaimed wood, which would draw your eye on a continuous line from the floor up to the ceiling. You also wouldn't have competing textures.
November 15, 2012 at 2:55PM   
Linda
I agree with arlendau. It looks like you only have 6 to 8 inches on each side of the firebox. But if that is not possible, I think that fact will limit the size tile or stone you ultimately decide on. I would probably go with a smaller sized stacked stone. You could also just do stone below your mantle and drywall above. Or you could trash the existing mantle and do a wood surround that would go down both sides of the firebox with a nice sized deeper shelve. You could stain it a couple shades darker than whatever color you ultimately decide on for your oak flooring or be safe with a white. You have some real thinking to do! Best of luck. So many choices.
November 16, 2012 at 12:22AM   
fife2
Eecks NO! please do NOT stain the shakes the color of the brick. perhaps a GREY color stain - one that is NOT solid - perhaps a semi-solid or transparent stain?

I have just looked at an expanded picture of your front porch - and have noticed the darker tone on the under porch ceiling color. I would like to suggest this for you: I would take the DARKER tone of the paint - and use a Semi-Solid stain of same color on the shakes and the wooden posts. Then you can use the same color for the trim around the windows - to constrast with the brick - and highlight the windows. IF the window frames are wood - then suggest using SOLID stain in same color for these. I would then use the lighter of the ceiling porch color for the inside trim next to the glass on windows.

Do you have pictures of your light fixtures for your porch and entryway into the house? I would love to see these -

let us know what you decide.
November 16, 2012 at 1:14AM   
timglidden
We are also thinking of using interceramics gray wood look 24" long (various widths) tiles either vertically or horizontally all the around and up the fireplace....

I searched but couldn't find this done anywhere... Any suggestions ?
November 26, 2012 at 7:33PM   
timglidden
Here's the space with a fresh coat of poly on the floors...
November 26, 2012 at 8:19PM   
defever
Beautiful floors! We put Grade D fir in our house; left the worm holes, solid knots and all the other boards that had personality. We put 4 coats of a clear oil finish (Daly's Floor Fin) on top. Everyone who visits marvels at how wonderful the floor looks -- lots of work but so much better than Pergo! Keep up the good work!
November 26, 2012 at 8:49PM     
PRO
Custom Marble & Granite
Soapstone surround, hearth & mantle
Stack stone on the wall.
November 27, 2012 at 3:58AM   
PRO
Art Consulting Online LLC
I like how the floors look with the different colors in the planking against the dark color of your cabinetry and fire box and the repeat of the floor color in the beam on the ceiling.
Your gray color idea for the fireplace surround could work except that the material you've chosen would have a planking look that would fight with your floors. Too much pattern in the background of your space will fight with your furniture, art, rugs, books, stuff, and defeat the look you're achieving at this point.
How attached are you to that floating mantel? Everything else you've done is sleek and cool. The mantel isn't.
Are your kitchen appliances going to be chrome or match the cabinets? What are your counter tops made of? Corian? I would recommend that you repeat the color and maybe even the material you introduce in your kitchen in the fireplace surround to hold the space together (not Corian). There are some great stainless materials that come in big squares that you could use. Or mirrors are a possibility.
And I recommend that get rid of the mantle and buy http://www.artconsultingonline.com/artworks/508 or http://www.artconsultingonline.com/artworks/826 or http://www.artconsultingonline.com/artworks/1579 or http://www.artconsultingonline.com/artworks/1357 or http://www.artconsultingonline.com/artworks/778 or, if you want color: http://www.artconsultingonline.com/artworks/628 or http://www.artconsultingonline.com/artworks/514 or http://www.artconsultingonline.com/artworks/695 to hang over that fireplace, no matter what surround you choose.
Sincerely,
Margie FitzSimons
Art Consulting Online
November 27, 2012 at 10:30AM   
PRO
Aesthetic Tile Imaging
Combining kiln-fired art tile with glass mosaic tiles is a great way do your fireplace surround and tie in with the space above the mantle. See the photos at Aesthetic Tile Imaging's Houzz profile page and http://www.atileimage.com
November 27, 2012 at 10:41AM