Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need paint help with my living room/dining room combo
Reina
November 13, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi all! We desperately need your help. When you come up to the second floor of my townhouse in front of you and off to the right is the dining room. To the left you step down into the living room. What separates the two are Two columns and the step. (I wish I had pictures but they never come out right so please be patient with me.

When you step down into the living room there is a fireplace in the middle of the wall. On the same wall to the left of the fireplace are the deck doors. To the right is a window.

The kitchen has an open serving space cutout (the name for it escapes me) that looks out into the living room/dining room area.

Now, the problem lol. We have decided on sherwin Williams Knockout Orange as the main color for the walls. However, now we're stuck. Do we paint the whole space this color? A different color for the fireplace? What should the other color be? I was thinking of doing the horizontal stripes (the orange and whatever the secondary color is) look on the wall in the dining room that has the kitchen cutout space, but I don't know and we are very confused. Help!

P.S. I found exactly one picture of the "open serving space cutout" that I'm talking about and it's a poor one at that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And as you can see, our furniture is a chocolate brown.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
You can paint all walls orange. I'd paint the ceiling, baseboard trim and doors & door & window trim white to help break up the orange. A painted stripe of orange and white (like the trim) might be cute in DR / kitchen space. Be sure to add 2 orange pillows to the sofa & maybe an afghan with orange in it. Also add some other orange touches around the LR/DR. The DR table could have several orange votives to repeat the orange theme. Greenlake Custom Home Chelsea Loft
2 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 12:49PM
Reina
What an awesome idea. Thank you!!!!
2 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 1:52PM
decoenthusiaste
If you want to paint your focal fireplace wall a contrasting color try greige. You can look for it here on Houzz. It is kind of a blend of grey and beige so you can pick a shade toward grey (if your furniture is more dark) or toward beige for wood tone and brown furniture. Like the stripe idea for the kitchen!
1 Like   November 14, 2012 at 1:59PM
happyleg
Your pillow can be orange,blue, green. All good.
0 Likes   February 2, 2014 at 8:56PM