Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help choosing paint color in Kitchen
jvalentine22
November 13, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi all, need some help choosing a paint color to go with the kitchen in our new house. Honey-colored cabinets, black/light brown granite, black and white tile floor. I do not like the current green. I was thinking a sand color or a light grey, but this is my first time choosing paints so help is great!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Nancy Hehmann
You can upload photo to Valspar.com (Lowes paint) and change the color on their website to see how it would look. I cannot see your granite very well in pick. But what about attempting to match (or get close to ) the tan in the granite. If you have a sample, you can take it to Lowes or bring paint chips home to see if you have it right. Lowes computer matches colors if you take a sample of the color you want to them too. Hope I have helped.
November 13, 2012 at 8:50AM     
PRO
Clare White - Clockwise Design
Is that a working dishwasher below the kitchen sink? Colors are very personal go to Valspar.com.
November 13, 2012 at 9:01AM   
bygeorgi
Don't know if it's your style but a charcoal grey not a light grey would really update the room . I would paint the cabinets white so that the room feels bigger then you could paint the walls any color you want that flows with other rooms.
November 13, 2012 at 9:16AM     
jvalentine22
Thanks for the ideas, folks! When I get home, I will try Valspar. My image is too big for it right now. Clockwise, yes it's a working dishwasher, just a little one. Bygeorgi, I love all shades of grey and would definitely like to look at Charcoal. That might be great!! We were going to go with that sort of shade in the living/dining rooms as well, would that be "too much of a good thing?"

Thinking blues/browns upstairs (2 bedrooms and a bath).
November 13, 2012 at 9:28AM   
PRO
Wow, the dish washer-sink I have never seen anything like that .
Yes, I would stay with colors of gray for the paint. FYI painting the cabinets is a lot of work and sometime the paint does not adhere good so it chips off. Clare White - Clockwisedesign.biz
November 13, 2012 at 9:51AM     
jvalentine22
Clockwise the dishwasher is kind of weird for sure. Helps maximize space (small kitchen and I have a LOT of stuff...love to cook), but it's an odd one. I don't think we'll hold off on painting the cabinets for now. I'll bring home paint chips and see how the grey works.

I worry it'll be too much grey if I go with grey in the dining/living room as well, but I do think if we play with different shades it might actually be very cool. Perhaps updated valences or blinds will help too.
November 13, 2012 at 10:14AM   
PRO
Kitchen Art of New England LLC
Here are a couple light and dark color ideas! Hope the visualization helps =)
November 13, 2012 at 10:20AM     
dreams1967
The grey tones do work nice with light maple cabinets, i recently used a dark grey called "giant" from General paint , the lighter tones on the swatch are also nice.
November 13, 2012 at 10:41AM     
jvalentine22
Thanks for the photos! How great! I really like the lighter one on the top right. Did these come from Valspar? I also love the one on the lower right. The kitchen is very small...will the dark colors make it feel even smaller, do you all think?
November 13, 2012 at 11:05AM     
jvalentine22
Thanks, dreams, we will look for it!
November 13, 2012 at 11:06AM   
PRO
Grey tones creates less competion with the counter top, cabinets, and white appliances. But I do like the 1st burgandy color, maybe use it as a trim cover for your pot rack?
November 13, 2012 at 11:41AM     
PRO
Kitchen Art of New England LLC
I just quickly mocked them up here at the studio. The one in the top right is somewhere in the "sandy/tan" realm, and the bottom right is almost black... with some blue.

There is no way to get the exact color from doing these, it just hopefully will give you a better idea of what a color could look like.

If you have any requests let me know! I have the file saved still. =)
November 13, 2012 at 11:52AM     
PRO
The Interior Touch
Go with grey under tones -It will looks great with the honey colour cabinets and will compliment the black and white tiles. Try Benjamin Moore CSP-190 "Rocky Beach" or CC-530 Brandon Beige -
November 13, 2012 at 12:14PM     
jvalentine22
Thank you so much everyone! We are going to Home Depot tonight so we will bring back some paint chips!!
November 13, 2012 at 12:50PM   
bygeorgi
"Too much of a good thing" goodness no. My kitchen has white cabinets, chocolate brown walls so in my adjoining living room I painted an accent wall in the same brown. but don't forget about the fifth wall ,the ceiling, dark ceilings look great and add such drama with a pretty light fixture.
November 13, 2012 at 1:18PM     
jvalentine22
Thank you again everyone for all the suggestions! We decided on a very pretty mocha, which caught the brown flecks in the granite and the wood grain in the cabinets just right. We're looking forward to painting!
November 16, 2012 at 6:16PM   
PRO
We always like to see finish pictures you know.
November 16, 2012 at 6:29PM   
jvalentine22
I will definitely post some! We bought paint to do every room in the house last night (gulp), so after a couple of weeks I'm sure there will be a glut of them. Glad I found this site, much appreciated!
November 16, 2012 at 6:31PM