powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Doupion silk is good for the window drapes or not?
applecider1111
November 13, 2012 in Design Dilemma
which one is the best one?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
applecider1111
please give the opinion, thanks
November 13, 2012 at 7:16pm   
Diana Rogus
I have Dupioni drapes from pottery barn and I like them very much
November 13, 2012 at 7:47pm   
casamaker
i have them also and I love them bc they have a great sheen that is not overdone but adds a bit of subtle punch and interest by highlighting the texture of the silk. I find they are very versatile too - you can use them as a very nice accent in a casual or more formal room setting. Great buy!
November 13, 2012 at 8:11pm   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I like the striped ones the best. Be aware that these are not going to last long in a sunny window as sunlight will quickly rot silk. When I have silk drapes made, I make sure that they are lined and interlined so that the face fabric is well-protected.
November 13, 2012 at 8:36pm     
smldesigns
What is the fourth picture?
November 13, 2012 at 8:43pm   
applecider1111
the 4th [icture is the pure linen, how do you think? which one is better , linen or silk ? thanks
November 14, 2012 at 2:55am   
applecider1111
Cynthia, for the stipe ones, which color better? what kind of color of the wall I choose paint
? thanks
November 14, 2012 at 2:56am   
applecider1111
casa, thanks for the comment, so silk is better than linen?
November 14, 2012 at 2:58am   
applecider1111
Diana, the silk drape from pb is very expensive
November 14, 2012 at 2:59am   
PRO
Banarsi Designs
Dupion silk is a beautiful material and the type of silk we actually carry a lot of our Indian home decor products in. This type of material certainly needs to be properly cared for. Here are some tips you can check out if you decide to go with this route: http://www.interiormall.com/cat/howto/all-about-dupioni-silk-fabric.html.

As Cynthia above pointed out, make sure the drapes are well protected, as direct sunlight can be a problem and may cause damage.

But I would definitely go with silk, it's just more pretty and luxurious.
November 15, 2012 at 5:11am   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Applecider, I can't really advise on which stripe or what colour to do the walls since I haven't seen the room. You should choose your furniture first and then co-ordinate the rest to go with it.
November 19, 2012 at 9:18am   
PRO
Window and Fabric Works
As Cynthia said, make sure those panels are interlined. A quick additional FYI to this: when custom drapes are make, the leading and return edges are turned to the back, creating a self facing. When fabricating w/ silk, this leading edge would be brutally exposed to the sunlight. To avoid this, we'll do a lead edge tape or lead edge banding (or just the facing) of a like coloured fabric (other than silk) that would hold up better against the sun.
November 19, 2012 at 9:45am   
lefty47
HI -- I have been down the silk road before ,BUT never again for me . Although they are beautiful there are fabrics that look just as nice without the worry of upkeep and kids and life etc. I have a pair of silk covered chairs and they have shown every little mark and spot and can't be cleaned well enough to look nice again .They now have to be recovered. Linen is a good fabric but not as formal looking .
November 19, 2012 at 9:59am   
More Discussions
Need help flipping this living room!
Just bought this home. All furniture will be replaced....
Did I make the right call?
I have added new backsplash. In my eyes I believe...
Redo Coastal Living Room
I have ordered a new white slipcovered sofa and two...
Need help flipping this kitchen!
Just bought this home. Looking for 'design on a dime'...
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.