powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Paint Color Dilemma! Your opinon needed!
Eva T
November 13, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I LOVE the idea of a grayish blue living room (Deep Silver and Van Courtland Blue by Benjamin Moore are two of my favorites), but all of the photos I have seen of these paint colors are against white wood. As you can see from my photos, I have an open floor plan with dark cherry wood in the kitchen, lighter floor, and I plan on installing mahogany blinds to match the kitchen. Will this paint color work against this reddish wood?? What other cozy colors would you recommend for this space??? My furniture is a mix of modern and rustic pieces. Thank you in advance!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msslynne
Paint it in the color you want, there is no clash with your wood and the grayish blue, treat that color the same as any other nuetral color. I like the brown tans, greys and blues myself and use them often-deep orange, olives and burgundy are good warm up colors and so is a navy blue-beyond color, textures prints and adding some shine with glass pieces or the warmth of ceramiccs goes a long way too. I think you will be very happy with your chosen color as it is calm and relaxing, very easy on the eye. Good luck and thanks for posting!
November 13, 2012 at 11:52AM   
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
A grayish blue will for sure work in your space! Red and blue tones work very nicely together.
November 13, 2012 at 12:13PM   
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
November 13, 2012 at 12:38PM     
Eva T
Thanks for the encouragement! I am curious what others would do with this space color wise. The back splash in the kitchen is brown, ivory and a sage green. Aside from the grayish blue, I was also considering a sage green (Silver Sage by RH or Benjamin Moore Wythe Blue). Any thoughts out there which would look better???
November 13, 2012 at 12:44PM   
judianna20
i suggest that the walls be painted in a white to match your countertop which will bring that creamy tone into the next space and then paint your ceilings blue.

November 13, 2012 at 12:54PM   
Keerthi Naidu
I think the sage green would look really good with the cherry wood you have! I personally would choose that over the pale blue, simply because the sage green would complement the wood better.

Teri Turan

Craftsman Living Room

Janssen-Kitchen
November 13, 2012 at 2:16PM     
gossamerblade
Blue-gray is my favorite cool neutral, and it gets my vote to balance out the very warm wood tones you have in your home.
November 13, 2012 at 2:23PM   
Aggie Purvinska
Blue Gray would look fantastic, both light and darker, but you could also have some serious fun with a brighter color or a bolder darker color, if you like why not do a dark mossy green, for example? It's soothing, sophisticated and unusual and you have enough natural light to pull it off.. Do you have pictures of your stuff? Or maybe an apple green?Dark Blue?

[houzz=Living room 1]

[houzz=Study: Brian Del Toro Inc.]

[houzz=Morrow Settee]

[houzz=Living room 2]
November 13, 2012 at 8:15PM   
Natalie
Hi---Paint your kitchen walls a medium shade of gray---match it to a gray in your backsplash. Once you have that gray---look toward blue/gray hues in the color wheel and choose a blue/gray for the next space to be painted. Bring in warm neutral colors to balance the cool grays and it will look lovely. If you do opt for the green hues-I suggest a puddy color more than a sage---against your wood tones puddy will look sage... Good Luck!
November 13, 2012 at 8:27PM     
houssaon
November 13, 2012 at 8:30PM   
Natalie
I should have explained why I said to paint your kitchen gray rather than gray/blue---Your counter has yellow undertones-if the walls are blue-the counters will appear to be green... :)
November 13, 2012 at 8:33PM