Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need help for my living room
Jassu Kaur
November 13, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Need help for my LR for blind color for windows and drape color for sliding door I can not put blinds into sliding door because of not enough space. Thanks
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Borden Interiors & Associates
Hi! I would match the blind color to the trim color. Your side drapery panels could be in white also although I would go for a two toned look to bring in more color or a fun geometric or bold pattern look to jazz up the room more. Have your rod extend to equal distances on both sides so as not to interfere with the door handle. This will also make the window/door seem bigger when the drapes are open.
2 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 1:52PM
lefty47
HI --- You don't have to set window coverings into the window frames. You could hang window blinds up at ceiling height and wider than the window and I can see you can't go wider on the patio , but if you hang blinds up high then they will pull up out of the way when using the door. Or you will have to have a set of vertical blinds for the patio door. I think dark wood blinds would look good for your room . Then you could just have some side panels for show. Always go high and wider than the windows to make them look larger.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 2:38PM
tennisanyone
First I would rearrange the furniture. Where your white chair is, I would take that out. Move the sofa to where that chair is and move the love seat where the black chair is. Find a corner in the room to put the black leather chair with a small table next to it and a lamp. I like the green on the wall so try to find similar treatments or maybe pick up a color int he rug. Extend your drape hardware past the window and have the drapes skim the side of the door to make the widows look wider.
2 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 2:42PM
PRO
Mona Ives
Beige or cream color for the blinds and drapes.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 6:25PM
Jassu Kaur
Thank u very much everybody Appreciated. Mona are u from India ?
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 10:24PM
Prit Patel
hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
1 Like   November 14, 2012 at 2:23AM
PRO
KM&M Designs
I applaud your daring deep green color, what is missing are levels of contrast and lighting.

Hunter Douglas has a great line of vertical blinds that are the best for the doors. Make sure they pull to the right side. I would purchase a coordinating non-vertical blind for the other windows and find side panels that have a pattern with enough color to add some pizzaz to the room. Take them all the way to the ceiling Add some table lamps that are not dark finished. Maybe a pop of color like a brightly colored gourd shape lamps. Paint the ceiling with a paint tinted 1/4 the wall color to make it less stark, or paint it a soft pale robins egg blue or creamy yellow. Make sure to bring in textural fabrics to soften the all leather look. I am not sure why the furniture is all squished into one side of the room. What is that on the other wall? I can't make it out?
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 5:39AM
kwrealtor
Love the green! I would install wood shutters on the windows the same color as the trim. Colorful drapes with a light color background for the patio doors. Open up the space by placing the sofa on the left wall with the smaller sofa perpendicular which makes an L shape and the leather chair on the opposite side of the love seat . Remove the white chair from the mix. You now have an open area to access the patio doors and the room should feel more spacious.
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 6:18AM
aimanglin
I would paint the walls a lighter color. You have dark furniture and dark walls. It looks like a cave.
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 6:31AM
tennisanyone
After looking at the pictures again, and as I like to say, rearranging the furniture costs you nothing but time. Flip the room. Couch on the left, loveseat where the black leather chair is and the black chair in a corner maybe to the right of the door. The woods chair needs to go. You will have better access to the patio door. Drapes hung from above the door frame to the floor will give height to the room and extend the drapes out past the frame. Will make the room seem wider too and the curtains can be easily opened or closed. Is there a tv that you must face? Did not get where that is in relation to the couch.
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 6:50AM
Jassu Kaur
Thank u guys for u r time.
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 8:34AM
heatherlh
I just ordered some shades from Smith & Noble with a natural woven wood (more like soft raffia texture) that has great variations of white, beige, light brown - color is fiji/ivory check it out online smithandnoble.com Good Luck! I spent 6 mos. making this decision. I think the soft texture of this material would really enhance your space.
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 8:53AM
andreaberg
That's a very dark room, I would definitely go with something light and softer to match the trim color.
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 9:08AM
Shirlee
It's difficult to see the room clearly since the photos are a bit dark... one wall has brickwork which I wish I could see the entire wall to pull it into the rest of the room... and if an additional doorway exists it must be somewhere in the room not visible in the pictures. It's also difficult to determine what this room was meant to be. In it's current state, there's too much furniture in the space as it is used now.

The beautiful dark green walls and light trim could be further enhanced by bringing in another color to help balance out the room. Paint the white of that little overhang the same green color as the walls so that it blends into the room instead of drawing the eye to it.

My thought is that with the accent pieces that you have in use... do a shoe mold in a metallic finish along the base molding between the floor and wall (which appears to be sort of a pewter/silver gray?). If you were to paint the ceiling in the same metallic color of the shoe molding... then install a simple crown molding between walls/ceiling and use corner pieces. (This eliminates the need for cutting tricky angles). Paint the crown/corner pieces the same lighter color that you currently have on the baseboard, window and door trim. I think the use of the metallic color would help balance out the room.

You need some artwork which further pulls the room's color/textures together and can be from the use of an artwork "inspiration piece" which should have some of the same characteristics of the room. You could integrate shadow box type picture frames in black with lighter trim color inside ... then place something such as artificial foliage... like fern branch piece in one... in the next shadow box if using ones of the same size ... a single leaf in one... etc. Or you could use two smaller shadow boxes... with a larger one in the middle which has more of the same kind of nature/artwork/accents inside it.

For curtains/blinds.... If you use blinds I would use some the same lighter color as the window/doorwall trim. For the fabric panels... I would look for something in a pattern which you enjoy that complements the rest of the room or artwork but do it in perhaps the same things... like a black and white design panel with tiebacks which are black/and metallic accents.

As for furniture... like I said it's tough since I don't see the rest of the room. Assuming there is access to this room which is on the same wall as the brick wall, I am not a fan of having the furniture back being the first thing I see when entering a room. That being said... opening up the room to make it look less cluttered and more balanced would be for me ... putting the sofa on the wall where the loveseat currently is... the loveseat on the wall where the white chair currently is... angle the black leather chair in the corner wall over by the patio doorwall... place and area rug in center of room between sofa/loveseat and place one of the little tables between the loveseat and chair... and the other in front of the sofa.

Remove the white chair since it just seems to not have any real place or harmony with the rest of the room. Put the vase on the table which is between the loveseat/chair ... the torchiere lamp where it's at might be ok... and put the plant greenery over on the other side of the sofa opposite end of the torchiere. I would also put a larger ceiling fixture up ... light or fan with light... or something which continues the theme of the rest of the room.

And there ya have it... my own thoughts... but make the room whatever pleases YOU.
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 6:14PM
Sarah Steere
I would buy your window coverings to match the trim color. And agree that a pattern or adding an accent color would look nice. I also agree that the small overhang needs to be painted to match the wall color. I would arrange the living room furniture as in the image below. Also I would consider replacing the current tables with a lighter wood finish and using a round coffee table or ottoman.
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 7:03PM
Jassu Kaur
Oh my gosh u guys are great i cannot imagine u guys made my job so much easier. thanks everybody and this nice drawing helps me a lot.
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 9:54PM
lc29
Ignore the comment on vertical blinds, thats a very dated look. My daughter has an almost identical window in her LR, do make sure to hang your window treatment well above the the window and have it go to the floor to give your room the sense of height it needs.
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 10:14PM
PRO
KM&M Designs
Obviously you are unaware of the changes in vertical blinds. The blinds I am thinking of have sheer fabric component. Verticals are still the very best for sliding doors. I think your absolutes are unforturnate and she may find that they will work well with her contemporary style. I never say never. I didn't say put them on all the windows, just the door. They allow light control, have a tight draw, and now include fabric to soften the look.
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 4:02AM
dsma
Hi, First to help you out ..I would change your furniture first. Do not block the slider . Put the big couch on the big wall. Then place the smaller couch opposite it. Put your chair on the open space away from the slider. As for curtains , you can get a print with black and white with green in it. Groments curtains would be nice. What ever you use for the windows I would use for your sliders. Also, possiblly a velvet curtain in grey. I would like to see a stripe in your color scheme. Look in ikea, penny's or bed bath and beyong. good luck
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 12:42PM
dsma
I found you the perfect curtain look at Light in the box .com look for amazing wind jacqaurd they are gromets and will look beautiful airey and can be used for both windows.
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 3:03PM
Jassu Kaur
thanks for u r help and time Thanks once again.
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
Need help with my kitchen
I recently refinished my cabinets in my kitchen from...
Bathroom remodel - soapstone or polished granite?
We are remodeling our 20 year old bathroom, getting...
Oil Based Wall Paint
Hi All, I'm looking for a (very ?) low sheen wall...
Help with window
Please help. Huge window is 135"x65. Baseboard underneath....
Looking to do a wall tatoo
I have a giant wall in my formal dining area. What...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.