Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help with my kitchen cabinet - granite combination
chan316
November 13, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi,
I have picked maple rouge cabinets with kashmir gold granite and pale white 3x6 ceramic for my backsplash.

Does anyone have this combination? What do you guys think? Is there any other granite or backsplash that will work better with the maple rouge cabinets? Please advice.

Thanks
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Cottage Craft Tile
I work in designing these things every day and I think you have a really nice combination there. It looks like the darker color in the granite marries well with your cabinets. The contrast between them is great too. The top will stand out, which is what you want. I would consider adding an accent to the backsplash..perhaps a row of 5/8 mosaic glass or stone. Nice Job!
November 13, 2012 at 4:32pm     
anitajoyce
Your color combination sounds good to me.
November 13, 2012 at 5:05pm     
chan316
Hi,

The Granite i have selected is not dark. @Cottage Craft Tile, are you referring to the granite in the IInd pic (Kashmir Gold)?
November 14, 2012 at 3:29pm   
chan316
AnitaJoyce you referring to the color combo between the cabinet in the I pic and granite in the IInd pic right?
November 14, 2012 at 3:30pm   
anitajoyce
Yes, If you are talking about the two pictures you've alreadt posted. The cabinets are nice and the granite is a lovely color.
November 14, 2012 at 4:16pm   
smldesigns
Love the cabinets and the granite, but I'm not positive about the subway tile. I think there will be so much contrast that your eye will be drawn to the tile rather than the beautiful cabinets or granite. Perhaps look for either a deeper tile shade or different approach to the back splash. Just what popped into my head when I saw your post.
November 14, 2012 at 4:37pm     
chan316
Thanks fr the suggestion smldesigns. Do u have any backsplash options?
November 14, 2012 at 6:44pm   
smldesigns
I'm new to this site so I don't have anything off-hand, but what is your time-line? Also are you installing the granite without a back splash (the little 3" piece) that some kitchen/builders use? I'm traveling tomorrow but if you're not in a hurry I could look over the weekend. Also, I don't want to depend on my monitor for exact shading - can you tell me what colors you see in the granite?
November 14, 2012 at 6:50pm   
chan316
Hi smldesigns, the backsplash is a 3X6 bone ceramic tile. i'm installing the backsplash without the 3' granite backsplash.
the granite is kashmir gold as in the IInd pic. it is gold with shades of red/orange.
November 16, 2012 at 7:24am   
PRO
Stoneshop
Your selections sound wonderful! Make sure that you bring your cabinet & tile samples to view with the granite before everything is finalized (if you haven't already). This way you can see all of the colors together to make sure that everything looks alright. Also, if you want to add some extra dimension, consider a beveled subway tile in that bone color. They look very sharp.

Best of luck!
November 16, 2012 at 7:44am     
chan316
great, thanks stoneshop. im trying to get a herringbone design above the cooktop. maybe we can do a beveled edge outside the design. what do u think
November 16, 2012 at 8:08am   
PRO
Stoneshop
A herringbone design sounds great! It really makes a great focal point. When you say "outside the design" are you referring to using pencil tiles (5/8" x 12" tiles that form a border around the herringbone area) to frame the focal area? Or having the herringbone as normal subway tiles and the rest of the tiles with a beveled edge?
November 16, 2012 at 8:16am   
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi chan316! I think that your choice of cabinet color and granite go very well together. The red tones of the wood are picked up beautifully by the streaks of red in the granite. As far as the bone white backsplash goes, you should make sure that particular shade of bone in the tile matches the warmth off the granite. There are so many different options as far as off white is concerned, as shown by the pics below. You need to see the tiles in real life compared to the other surfaces you've selected. Your backsplash should be a warm color in order to create a truly cohesive look. If you're feeling adventurous, a burnt orange or a red would look stunning. I'm sure it will all turn out lovely, good luck!
November 16, 2012 at 8:22am     
chan316
@stoneshop im not sure what a beveled edge is.
November 16, 2012 at 9:09am   
PRO
Stoneshop
Okay, I'm attaching to photographs for you. First is a beveled subway tile backsplash, & second is a regular subway tile. This way you can see the difference around the edges of the tile.

[houzz=Kitchen Remodel]
[houzz=Cow Hollow Residence]
November 16, 2012 at 9:15am   
chan316
@Stoneshop, wow the beveled tile looks so much better. Is that a look that can be done to the tile or the tiles have to be bought that way?
November 16, 2012 at 9:26am   
PRO
Stoneshop
Aren't they?! I love this look.

The tiles are purchased this way. They are pretty common, so I'm sure that if you go to your local tile shop they will be able to find some for you.
November 16, 2012 at 9:31am   
chan316
@stoneshop, can we get beveled ceramic tiles ? or is that only for subway tiles?
November 16, 2012 at 9:49am   
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
chan316, if you like the look of herringbone, we have a custom tile designer on our website that would allow to make a herringbone pattern that matches all your other surface choices. Below is just an example of what can be done in our tile designer.
November 16, 2012 at 11:39am   
PRO
Stoneshop
chan316, are you referring to purchasing beveled floor or larger format tiles? Ceramic, porcelain, etc relates to the material, while subway relates to the shape.
November 16, 2012 at 12:42pm   
smldesigns
Hi Chan316,
Here are some links pics on Houzz where the back splash blends well from counter top to upper cabinets. Most are still subway but with a little color.

I'm still learning how to use this site - it looks like Susan Jablon is recommending something similar -warm tones.

Kitchen detail of custom mosaic tile://www.houzz.com/photos/43875/Fireclay-Backsplash-traditional-kitchen-seattle
Jennifer Brouwer Design Inc
Traditional Kitchen
Itasca, Il -- Kitchen Design and Remodel
November 16, 2012 at 1:39pm   
smldesigns
Forgot this one

November 16, 2012 at 1:40pm   
ccwatters
Had to share one of my all-time favorite backsplashes. Love the contrast of the beautiful bone subway tile with the crisp white grout. It gives me such a feeling of 'calm' . Think it would tie your cabinets together well with your granite, while giving it a very current/updated look.

Also, I saw your wood floor pieces/samples. Had to give some (unsolicited ;) advice to make sure you go with a floor that creates enough contrast between your floor and cabinet color, keeping in mind that your cabinets will deepen in color a bit over the first few years. If you are going with an island, you may even want to consider doing your cabinetry on it in a white / of-white to avoid a feeling of "too much wood". Sorry, I know you didn't ask...just wanted to point out something to help avoid potential pitfalls.

[houzz=KitchenLab 1]
[houzz=KitchenLab 2]
November 16, 2012 at 2:03pm