Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bosch Appliances
Ralph Eronemo
November 13, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I'm currently enamored with Bosch kitchen appliances. Looking to do the whole kitchen. Anyone want to offer up some opinions?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Emily Hurley
I've heard great things about Bosch dishwashers. One thing I would say is that if you love a particular brand for a particular appliance, it can be tempting to go with them for all the appliances just to keep things matching. I actually did that once with Viking and while I loved my stove, the dishwasher...not so much. Probably the worst I've ever had.

Moral of the story, it's okay to pick and choose among different brands to get the best appliance for each particular need.
2 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 1:46PM
Ralph Eronemo
We did the same thing with Viking for my parents, with the same result. We live in Walla Walla and I'm hoping that we will get to Seattle over the holidays to take a look at a few brands. Thanks!
2 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 3:57PM
feeny
Love my Bosch dishwasher, but that's the only Bosch appliance I own. I agree that a brand that does one appliance well does not necessarily do as good a job with all appliances.
1 Like   November 15, 2012 at 3:59PM
Judy M
I mixed mine up. Viking cooktop, GE wall oven, Bosch D/W, subzero refrig. The refrig and D/W have wood panels that match cabinets, other 2 are stainless. Almost eight years old and no repairs on any.
1 Like   November 15, 2012 at 4:07PM
Kelly
I have had a Bosch dishwasher for the last eight years, very quiet and was a Consumer Reports best buy when I purchased it. Lately I have had a problem with it leaking, however. Also, in some areas of the country it can be hard to find repair folks to work on them. Other than that, I would not go with all the same brand of appliance. I would research who has the best quality for the price for each kitchen appliance, cause you're probably going to live with them a while and it would be better to have good function over each rather than have them match. That's my two cents. :)
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 1:38AM
tbhattac
We have a Bosch dishwasher and electric glass cooktop. We really love both of them. We have an old subzero (from the 80's with the wood panel doors) and old GE double wall ovens--probably from the 60's. Both of those were here when we bought our house a few years ago and they both actually work great even though they are so old.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 5:05AM
ivanaseverin
I just bought a Miele dishwasher because my 3 year old Kitchenaid dishwasher caused a flood in my house, $100,000 damage!! It was not even running. Beware of Bosch also, they have been recalled in Europe.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 6:05AM
Sara Parker
I love plain old Whirlpool dishwashers! Quiet, no pre-washing needed. Never had a flood.

Unfortunately, I replaced my lovely old appliances (15 or 20 years old) about 5 years ago with a new Maytag fridge and stove. What junk! The fridge leaks constantly and frosts up; the rubber seal of the freezer is now loose, but each of the doors pops open when you shut the other door; the plastic! veggie tray's front was a separate piece and fell off in your hand unless the drawer was empty. (I glued it with liquid nails as they wanted over $100 for a metal replacement here.) The stove burners need servicing every few weeks (although we clean the holes in burners) and the side plastic! cap pieces on the back-splash cracked and fell off early on. The digital timer has been almost impossible to read since year one. Our gas supplier told us to replace the stove asap.

I hear that the same company now makes Maytag and Whirlpool, so I guess I'll be looking for some other brand. How is LG? GE? I'm afraid service might be lacking on the more high end products here in the beautiful Bahamas. And, I'd be really annoyed if a high-end, really expensive appliance didn't work, as was my neighbor's experience lately.

Moral of this story, keep your old appliances as long as you can!
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 6:51AM
rozannej
I had heard about Bosch and gave them a try with a new dishwasher. Did not last long until I had to call a repairman and find out from him that he had only worked on one other Bosch appliance in my area and that to get to the pump and replace it would cost me more than to go out and buy a new dishwasher. Back to Whirlpool Gold for me. Good luck with your choices.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 10:36AM
greenthumb2
Miele dishwasher - super quiet but super pricey. We use a Neff. Works well but not quiet.
If you can afford a solid set of appliances and plan to stay at that home, do not scrimp and do homework. GE used to make a great wall oven, don't know if they still do.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 10:46AM
ivanaseverin
Miele, super pricey and super quiet. Not taking any chances. Just started using it after 3 months of washing by hand and I'm still nervous
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 10:56AM
PRO
Cabin John Builders
I have Thermador appliances (which is Bosch) in my kitchen and love them. I am both an avid cook and a custom contractor, so I have put the units through some pretty seriously scrutiny and 2 1/2 years since install still love them. The only problem I had was with one of my DWs and it was fixed at no cost the next day
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 1:12PM
myrns
Had to do a sales job on husband to get the Miele dishwasher I wanted. 6 years later haven't had any problems. Easy to clean the filters in the bottom and really like the cutlery tray rather than the usual basket. Racking system seems to hold more dishes than other brands. Love leaving a note on the counter for hubby "Dishwasher is running." It is so quiet! :-) This is my 7th dishwasher.
European ovens are generally smaller than American ovens.
Until you get into the SubZero category of fridges all interiors are flimsy plastic. Have had good luck with Kitchenaid French door fridge. If it has an ice maker, make sure the water filter cartridge is changed regularly, depending on purity of water supply.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 3:22PM