Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Sunblocking curtain/shade for large sliding door
winnieboo
November 14, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have just finished renovations on a condo in Sarasota, FL. and are moving there from CT. The dilemma I have is this...we face the west and have beautiful sunsets every night, that's the good news! But that comes with a price of very hot western sun streaming into our living area through a wall of sliding glass doors. I hate the vertical blinds from the 80's,but I'm reluctant to get sunshades that roll down, due to ease of coming in and out. Any suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Emily Hurley
Maybe plantation shutters? I've always loved them, particularly in ranch houses.

November 15, 2012 at 1:36pm   
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
I prefer drapery in this situation. I'd recommend semi-sheer linen (or poly look alike for durability) on rods & rings for easy open and close. Extending the rod beyond the width of the sliders by about 10" on each side, you should be able to stack them back so they don't cover too much of the winodw. Semi-sheers will still allow for a glow of light but also provide a bit of protection from the heat. If you need more thermal insulation, you could go with lined linen draperies.
November 15, 2012 at 1:48pm   
charleee
I have the exact same problem! Last year at 7 PM it hit 113 degrees, in the shade. I had the vinyl verticals but couldn't stand them, so I purchased 6 thermal panels and sewed them all together to make one long (really long!) grommet topped panel. Living rooms that face the west are a challenge, but better than the bedroom facing west!

If your windows are not already tinted, you can buy the smoky window film, it's easy to put on and it really does help.
November 15, 2012 at 1:49pm   
yvonnecmartin
I installed triple honeycomb blinds on my windows. Down, they provide great insulation from heat and cold; up, they almost disappear. They are on west windows, so if the sun is in our eyes when we are at the dining room table, I pull them just partway down. I still have my old vertical blinds over them because I like to have the space of the window broken up. I wouldn't say that they are particularly beautiful, but they solve the insulation problem nicely.
November 15, 2012 at 9:11pm   
winnieboo
thanks everyone. did any of you consider Hunter Davis sun shield shades? Electric that go up and down. My concern is if we want to go out the door. My husband says that if we have them down it will probably be too hot to go out anyway!
November 16, 2012 at 6:19am   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.