Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
More ideas please?
tigers008
November 14, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Project two of a houseful of projects. This bathroom and guest room I am planning in redecorating, going away from the grandmas (I love you grandma) look to a contemporary clean feel. They are next to each other so I would like to decorate them to feel more like a suite . Carpet and tile is staying I am open to anything else! Would love to have guests feel like they are in a high end hotel. Hallway is a light grey color.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
A glass tile mosaic, especially in the shower, would create a very modern feel. Below are some images of showers done entirely in tile mosaics, for inspiration. You could then continue the tile to the vanity area for a cohesive look. Tile mosaics would definitely give you that high end hotel look you want.
2 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 11:36AM
maureendec
The wood doors and trim are not a 'hotel spa' look, so I would suggest you paint them out. Keep the two rooms in monochromatic color scheme - off whites/creams/tans, with accent colors in the carpet color (it looks like pale green to me). Vary the textures of the fabrics used to alleviate boredom - the glass tiles in the bath could be a sea green variation - but not too high a contrast as the room is quite small and it could look dizzingly busy. Paint out the bath woods in warm whites.
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 11:44AM
movethisnotthat
painting the cabinet and mirror would be good start, a nice "warm" light color to go with the wood trim, if you don't like the wood color paint that too. light colored rugs, glass shelves filled with organic sponges,soaps,cotton balls etc. light colored new towels. Light colored bedding solids work best and are relaxing. Put your money into things your guests will touch. They will feel so special in your new spaces. Houzz is full of spa like baths. Be sure to post your finished rooms
1 Like   November 14, 2012 at 1:01PM
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
Getting rid of that wood tone of your cabinet will update the room greatly! You can paint or stain. Then remove the border and either paint or find a fun wallpaper or a you could even tile.
1 Like   November 14, 2012 at 1:07PM
creeser
Take down the border paper first thing. Instead of painting cabinets, maybe try darkening the stain first and the same with the mirror frame. Update the light fixture to a nickel or brushed nickel and the same with the faucets. A fresh coat of paint in both the bedroom and bath in the same color and I think you'd have it.
[houzz=
]
2 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 1:11PM
dcer
Take down the decorative borders, and paint the walls. Paint all of the trim and doors white, to freshen things up. Update the bathroom fixtures, and paint or stain the vanity a darker color. Good luck.
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 1:19PM
Natalie
Hi---remove the borders in both rooms. Paint rooms Ben Moore Revere Pewter (flat finish) ceilings and all the trim Decorators White (flat ceilng/semi-gloss trim). I know you said you wanted to keep the tile in the bathroom, but it's dark and I think a beautiful wood porcelain tile would look sharp and elevate the space. Glass and stone tile hung vertically on the entire wall the sink is on would really make a statement. Paint the cabinet or stain it espresso and add a new faucet and sink OR buy a new floating vanity, sink, and faucet. Mirror and Good lighting is a plus. Bedroom: upholstered headboard, wallpaper focal wall-neutral bedding, matching side tables/lamps and ample lighing/lamps/chandelier. Fresh flowers and chocolate for guests. :) Hope this helps you out. You really could make this look Fantastic---quite easy. Good Luck!

[houzz=
2 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 2:27PM
tennisanyone
First, take down the borders in both rooms. Paint the mirror and cabinets in a dark chocholate, replace the countertop with a remnant granite piece and a new faucet and light fixture and paint the bathroom and bedroom in similar tones with maybe the bedroom being a shade darker since it is bigger. I would find a comforter first that you like that is a neutral but not too busy. Get rid of the stand with the flowers on it and the shelf with all the fake flowers and take off the mirror over the dresser if you still want to use the dresser. Paint the dresser and find a beautiful mirror to hang above it. A chair is always great with a small table and lamp and maybe a desk area too. Nightstands too are always good. My guests love having a desk to put makeup on or just use to store things. It looks like a fun project with many options.
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 2:50PM
inkwitch
Okay, let's take the bedroom. Part of the problem is the lighting. THe other part is the furniture. I won't comment on the border -- you know what to do with that!

Lighting is everything. Ceiling fixtures are no longer functional, but decorative. I can't tell if that's a ceiling fan, but if it is, either get a more up-to-date version with no light or one with a more contemporary light. But don't depend on that for your only light. Expect to have a couple of bedside lamps (and they should not necessarily match any more than your bedside tables have to match).

Furniture: You'll never get a spa feeling with that furniture. One piece might work as it would be unique. A whole room of it is too much. Take out everything but the bed (what is the headboard?) and perhaps the dresser -- it's a classic. Remove all fake plants (use real or don't use any), geegaws, little tables and shelves, the comforter and dust ruffle. Start with a bare a room. There must be a window; remove curtains, blinds.

Decide on the color family: brown, gray, red, yellow, aqua -- whatever you like, and find a quilted bedcover and a down comforter underneath. Avoid a bedskirt unless it's very tailored. Avoid "bed-in-a-bag" and anything that gives you a matching set. It's not done. Each piece is chosen for its own uniqueness and coherence to the overall design, but not made-to-match. Buy 4 good pillows even though your guest may not use all four. Forget pillow shams. Buy linens coordinated to the color scheme.

From this basis, choose your color scheme.

The first thing that came to mind for the bathroom was chocolate walls, white trim, and the Queensway Master is stunning for the bedroom.
3 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 5:19PM
jeanette mac
I love inkwitch's ideas! They tell it like it is. If the carpet has to stay (not a fan of wall to wall) then I would lay a carpet made of natural fibre right over top of it! I love a hand knotted wool, but sisal will give it a more current feel at a more budget friendly price. Also, I hung a chandelier over my bed and it is just so pretty to look at from wherever I stand. It is jewellry for the room. I will attach a photo of my bedroom.
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 5:47PM
jeanette mac
Also here is a pic from Murphy & Co. Courtesy of Houzz of a little powder room for some inspiration.
3 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 5:53PM
kah416
This bedroom looks cozy and bright for guests! Then add a chair and floor lamp and little side table in the corner. A desk with a padded chair and a small coffee maker (Keurig?) and a lamp on one side of the bed instead of a side table would be great. I will try and find a picture example to show you :) http://www.bhg.com/rooms/bedroom/color-scheme/neutral-bedroom-colors/#page=7 http://southerndomesticbliss.blogspot.com/2012/01/guest-bedroom-makeover.html
1 Like   November 14, 2012 at 8:38PM
kah416
Here's a few other bedroom ideas I found :) Hope they offer some inspiration to you :)
3 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 8:49PM
kah416
A few more ideas! :)
1 Like   November 14, 2012 at 9:04PM
kah416
Here are a couple ideas for the ceiling lighting from Lowes Allen + Roth line: http://www.lowes.com/pd_305775-2120-38118_4294857054__?productId=3073167&Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_avg_rating%7C1&facetInfo=
2 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 9:12PM
kah416
And here are some pretty wall shades for either room, or both! Hope these help! :) You can get the paint at Walmart it's the Glidden line, and have them color match the paint sample in the Colorplace line (cheaper that way:) http://www.glidden.com/color/color-visualizer-html.do
1 Like   November 14, 2012 at 9:18PM
tigers008
Thanks everyone for the advice, I am eager to undertake this project!
1 Like   November 15, 2012 at 4:36AM
kah416
Can you post after pics for us, please? :)
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 11:27AM
tigers008
Of course! Thanks!
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 2:19PM
lazidazi
There is nothing about natural woodwork that is not contemporary. It's everything else about your bathroom that makes the unpainted door look outdated. I'd think long and hard before painting the door; good, solid, natural wood is hard to come by. True, you won't find a natural wood door in a high end hotel, but that doesn't mean it can't look like/be a high end feature.

Obviously, get rid of the wallpaper. Also a must, get rid of the [looks to be] beige toilet, the vanity counter top, faucet, mirror and light.

Have you considered staining the vanity [as creeser said] a darker shade? If not the shade in creeser's picture, a rich reddish-brown mahogany would be elegant - with nickel faucet and lighting. Stain the door and trim in same stain shade.

Consider a tile backdrop for the vanity that runs from the outside width [or a little wider] of the vanity up to the ceiling. This tile could be the same as used in the shower, or a compliment. It would be dramatic and give the high end appeal. [e.g., the "powder room" pic in Natalie's post]

Keep in mind that Lighting is Key - the right lighting in the right place. Maybe recessed lights all along the back wall [your pic, where towel bar is], specific shower light, and vanity lights.
2 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 4:32AM
PRO
Macral Design Corp.
A few more ideas
Here are a couple ideas for the bathrooms. Both vanity bathroom are 40". http://www.houzz.com/pro/macraldesign/macral-design-corp
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 8:23AM
tigers008
Ok, went shopping and purchased some off white night stands, a pair of silver lamps with off white shades, will be ripping down wall paper this week and removing everything but the bed. Looked for monochromatic bedding and ended up being drawn to the lighter grayish teal tones, love the Idea of Benjamin moores revere pewter for paint. As for the bathroom, love the glass tile idea around the mirror. Like the idea of staining the mirror and vanity a dark color but I have no clue how to do that. The ugliest part if the room I didn't even show (love my husband too much to show the 30 year old big wooden headboard he made in shop class that everyone would have made fun of!) I love the idea of 3D wall tiles
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 2:19PM
tigers008
Here is what I have so far ....
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 2:23PM
tigers008
So was thinking of putting up 3D wall tiles instead if a wallpaper focal wall, not sure which style but I would live to experiment t with them as I have a bigger project upstairs with two more bedroom renovations....thanks for any and all advice!
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 2:25PM
orangecamera
Go to websites of high end hotels and look at the pictures of their rooms for inspiration on how it "should" look. "Should" in quotes because you really "should" do whatever makes you happy. Look at all the little details of the high end hotel rooms, to see what features speak to you.

My favorite things about staying in a high end hotel is more about comfort than the actual look/style of the room. I'd splurge on high thread count bed linens in a natural fiber. (The microfiber bed linens are soft but since they're synthetic, not great in the heat of summer). Good quality pillows. Also get some nice thick bath towels in white. Wall towel rack. Stock the closet with nice hangers. Pretty bottles/containers for soaps and lotions. An upholstered bench at the foot of the bed or elsewhere is always welcome.

Do you have the budget for a splurge item? How about a white bathrobe monogrammed with your family name like a hotel (Tigers Hotel and Spa?).

Room service menu? "Do Not Disturb" sign?

(Watch the HGTV show "The High Low Project" to see ways to get high end looks for a fraction of the cost. Episodes are available online.)

This sounds like a fun project, please don't forget to post your during and after pictures!
4 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 2:50PM
orangecamera
Forgot to mention about glass tile, someone posted about the horrors of their kitchen backsplash installation with those long glass tiles. Apparently they require skill and patience to install correctly, and look horrid if done poorly. If you *do* go for glass tiles, make sure the person installing them knows how to do it correctly.
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 2:58PM
tigers008
Orange camera all wonderful ideas! As for the glass tiles, My husband is a general contractor and a perfectionist, how lucky am I!
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 4:18PM
orangecamera
Quite lucky indeed! Can't wait to see how your rooms turn out :)
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 4:31PM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi tigers008!
The picture of the new bedspread and lamps you've chosen is really wonderful! I just wanted to share with you that the pattern of the bedspread is very similar to a line of mosaics we make that alternates glossy tiles with frosted tiles in a single color. We can make this design in a lot of different colors, below is an image of just one of the colors we offer. It would be a nice way to make the bathroom and bedroom feel really cohesive.
2 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 6:52AM
orangecamera
I like Susan Jablon Mosaics' tile suggestion. Susan, do those come on sheets? How big is each individual tile?
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 9:11AM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi orangecamera!
The tiles do come on sheets of about 1 sq. ft. each. The tiles in the image are 1x3 inch subway tiles. We offer the same mixture of frosted and glossy tiles in a 1x6 subway tile as well.
Here is a link to this type of tile on our website: http://www.susanjablon.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=tux
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 10:13AM
nevadan
Keep it simple. Start with paint and different furniture, then put some money into you window treament. Your bathroom vanity can be painted to match the walls. beige fixtures are no problem. Since this is a guest room it doesn't need a lot of furniture. You may need some family storage space, though, so have some cabinets b uilt in or go to IKEA. Get rid of the carpet if there is floor underneath. Get rid of the bedspread and substitute a solid olored down comforter. get rid of artificial floweres and all dust-catchers.
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 10:24AM
tigers008
Thought i would post pictures of what i have done thus far. I have decided to go with 3D wall tiles above the bed as a sort of headboard but have yet to decide which to order. I have not begun in the bathroom but I am happy so far. Thanks to everyone for suggestions!
4 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 7:57PM
Natalie
Very nice so far... Keep going and keep us posted. :)
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 11:35PM
apennameandthata
Oooooh, NICE. When I saw your pics, I thought some one had reposted from Houzz.
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 12:56AM
orangecamera
Wow, quite a beautiful transformation! I like the idea of 3D tiles for a headboard. Please come back and post pictures of that once it's done.
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 11:04AM
tennisanyone
Nice job. Love seeing the updates.
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 11:08AM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
It looks great so far!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:22AM