Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need a lot of help in this room!
ashberry472
November 14, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We just moved into this house, and this room is causing me a headache! The tv stand and wires are all temporary, but I think we are going to leave the tv in that location. Where do I start to try and bring color into this room besides the usual pictures that we will hang on the walls. Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tennisanyone
I would mount the tv over the fireplace so you can enjoy both at once and use that back wall for a shelving unit that takes up the entire wall maybe with cabinets underneath for storage and open shelves for books on top. I would replace the sectional with something that is more low profile maybe with a chaise on the end and add curtains that extend past the windows to the floor on both sides with a nice pattern. Add a coffee table and accessories and your done. I would add bar stools under the kitchen area for more seating too. I like the pendants but would change the floreseant lighting when you can to maybe high hats. It is a nice room to start good luck
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 10:19AM
PRO
Kitchen Art of New England LLC
We are always a big fan of the TV over the fireplace. Look how much room gets freed up! I also agree with replacing the sectional. I would try to find something that does not cut into the center of the room.
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 10:38AM
Natalie
It's sooooo dark in there. I suggest finding an area rug to break up the carpet and sectional sofa and to refer to for colors. Neutral tailored window panels and lots of lamps-wash those corners with light... Pics for rug/color options. Good Luck! http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-randa/multi/200HJHK32A-508.htmlhttp://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-swoop/multi/200ACR56-508.html
1 Like   November 14, 2012 at 10:45AM
Sarah Steere
I too think the T.V. should go over the fireplace. And that adding a counter and bar stools are an excellent idea. I would do something with the fireplace tile surround too. Does the couch fit along the current T.V wall? OR what about placing it opposite the fireplace like a V and adding sofa tables instead of a coffee table? If you are going to keep the red color in your kitchen, I think you need to incorporate that into the living area as well.
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 10:08PM
lc29
I agree your sectional is rather dark, but maybe you have dogs or kids that makes it practical. I would look at your fireplace wall, a floor to ceiling tile or wood treatment with a mantel would give your fireplace more presence. If that's not in the cards right away, I would add long curtains with a wood curtain rod to warm up the windows. if you're not a curtain fan, hang a woven wood blind outside
of the window frame.
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 10:36PM
Darzy
The sectional is way too big for the room. You'll always feel like the room "isn't right". But, for color..paint the walls lime green!
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 11:23PM
kah416
Curtains! :) And throw pillows, and throw blanket. Also a pretty rug and some wall decor
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 11:31PM
kah416
Curtains! :) And throw pillows, and throw blanket. Also a pretty rug and some wall decor
0 Likes   November 14, 2012 at 11:31PM
charleee
In the first picture the one thing that struck me was I see the warm woods of your kitchen cabinets and the rather cold starkness of the living room. I would advise warming up the living room with some woods - coffee table, end tables. Maybe a warmer wall color with some recessed lighting or floor lamps. The second rug suggested by Natalie is a good one, I would take the colors from it to decorate with.
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 5:18AM
Natalie
I noticed the kitchen being warm too---but didn't want to expound on that one---but since you brought it up---I suggest painting the kitchen walls a different color-that red is just not working in there. The walls in the LR are fine.
As I mentioned before=break up the floor and sectional with a rug---tailored window panels. Look at this link for an Excellent solution for your TV wall: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/245151/My-backdrop-tv
I think the TV above the FP will not work in this space-room is too narrow-uncomfortable to view something that high up while being so close.
Have you given the rugs I posted any consideration? Do those colors appeal to you?
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 5:39AM
ashberry472
Thank you all for the comments, they help a lot! I have been going back and forth now where the tv should go, and I have to agree the room might be to narrow for it being above the fire place. I'm starting to wonder if that right corner of the room might be better? It is really that sectional that is the source of the problem. Natalie- I liked the second area rug. It actually works because the entry room before the kitchen is a off green, so that rug might tie everything in. Thanks everyone.
2 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 7:19AM
Natalie
Wonderful! Have you tried rotating the sofa to where the TV wall is-chaise along FP wall and TV opposite FP? That might give you a better layout. Try it out and snap a pic- :)
There isn't a pic of what is right of the FP--left of the Kitchen so have no idea if you have room for a chair/ottoman perhaps on an angle...
Here is a link for the rug: http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-swoop/multi/200ACR56-P.html
Keep us posted. CheerS!
1 Like   November 15, 2012 at 7:56AM