Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
new cabinets
cpaige29
November 15, 2012 in Design Dilemma
What color would you do for this small space? Thinking about shaker style cabinets. Can't decide between a dark espresso or just simple clean white?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cpaige29
Also, want a larger refrigerator, hate this top freezer one. I contractor suggested knocking out the pantry and placing a french door there and just extending down from the right. Then I loose a pantry. Ideas?
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 5:56AM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi, cpaige29! Although the dark espresso cabinets would be beautiful, I think such dark colors in such a small space may be a bit overpowering and make it feel even smaller. I would go with some beautiful white cabinets. Once you have those selected, the addition of a new glass tile backsplash could really make your kitchen more special. We can help you match a backsplash to your counters to give everything a very cohesive look.
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 8:06AM
cpaige29
Thanks Susan! What type of counter top and color would you recommend for the white? A white laminate or white granite?
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 8:08AM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
If it's in your budget, I would definitely go with granite or a natural stone counter top, simply because they last longer and are of a much higher quality. I wouldn't go pure white, however, a granite with a lot of color variation would be better if you're doing all white cabinets. Some options are pictured below, they are bianco antico, and bianco romano. They are both light in color, with striations of dark greys, olives greens and other colors depending of course upon the slab. Make sure you pick out your own slab so you can get the exact color variations that you like. Once you have the counter tops selected, you can use those subtle color variances to make a tile backsplash that really enhances them, as well as in your accessories and paint colors, so your kitchen will be very cohesive, without being all white.
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 9:39AM
PRO
Stoneshop
I agree with Susan and think that espresso cabinets would really darken your kitchen--especially since there is no direct window in your space. A creamy white cabinet will look lovely. If possible, granite countertops would be a much better alternative than laminate. They will add value to your home and really give it a polished look. Plus, there is hardly any maintenance required.
Here are some color options for you: Alaskan White, Delicatus, White American (also known as Super White), Kashmire Gold, or Canadian Oak. If you want to bring in some contrast, try Brown Antique, or Coffee Brown.

It will be beautiful!
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 10:25AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
That makes three of us who favor the white cabinets. Is there any chance of moving the bar area out toward the camera to create a bigger kitchen? I like the contractor's idea of removing the wall. Did you ask him if you had space elsewhere for a pantry?
1 Like   November 15, 2012 at 10:35AM
Darzy
Four now for white! If you can't remove that wall, I'd consider making it counter height. It would look more spacious.
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 10:42AM
cpaige29
@ Carolyn we talked about lowering and extending the existing bar. not sure what you mean by moving it out toward the camera? He basically made it sound like either big fridge/larger counter space or pantry. The exisitng pantry is really deep and kind of a waste of space. I think other option would be to keep fridge placement where it is and customize those cabinets to the left of fridge which would be much more costly.
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 10:44AM
cpaige29
does anyone have any recommendations on cabinet styles? stick with shaker?
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 10:46AM
feeny
Definitely stick with shaker. It is the most timeless, and can be made to look more classic or more modern with different hardware.
1 Like   November 15, 2012 at 10:48AM
Darzy
This is an option...very modern if that's your style.

0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 10:49AM
PRO
Stoneshop
Personally, I have never had a pantry, and things have worked out alright. I generally use one or two of my cabinets for food storage, and/or a rack in the basement. I guess it depends on if you want extra counterspace or a dedicated pantry area. Make a list to weigh the pros and cons to help with your decision.
1 Like   November 15, 2012 at 10:50AM
cpaige29
@ stoneshop. I agree i have been really wanting a larger fridge and I am starting to think I have been using pantry's just to collect junk and meaningless things.
1 Like   November 15, 2012 at 10:52AM
PRO
Yes, Darzy is absolutely right that you should lower and extend the bar area. What's behind the barstools? I thought perhaps the whole bar area could move back, but I don't know what's there.
1 Like   November 15, 2012 at 10:57AM
cpaige29
oh that's the "living room" the place is a small condo so i need all the lounging space i can get....did you mean cutting out the wall on each side of the sink? with no bar? just sink level?
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 11:00AM
PRO
Yes, it appears that your bar is 42" high while your counter with sink would be the standard 36" ht.
These days almost all kitchen bars are at the 36" height so that there's a larger one level surface. It makes the kitchen area seem larger and affords nice space for a buffet layout at a party. We also want you to extend the countertop (at 36") as an overhang area for the bar stools and simply to make the countertop bigger.
1 Like   November 15, 2012 at 11:06AM
cpaige29
@ Carolyn just to be clear you are suggesting lowering the bar to 36" and extending it out how many inches? I don't want it to be far out into the living room
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 11:15AM
Sarah Steere
I would ditch the pantry and get the fridge that you want. However, I would keep it in it's current location, regardless of cost. I don't know how much entertaining you do, but the doors would be in the way on the other side, as well as guests getting in and out of it. The stove is electric so maybe it is possible that you could move it without cost or a custom cabinet? So you don't lose cupboard space consider going all the way to the ceiling. You can keep all the stuff you don't use regularly on the top shelves. It's currently just wasted space anyway, and you could even do glass doors for display all along the top....if you have a collection to display. Also making the counter with sink all one level is a great idea! I would extend it just far enough to push the chairs in entirely covering their seats. The cabinets you have now are white, do you like them? With dark cabinets, you could easily add more lighting, like pendents over the sink or under cabinet lighting. Even a decorative "task lighting" fixture would brighten it up. Granite is beautiful and will reflect light as well. Quartz may be just as nice with a smaller price tag. I'm excited to see the transformation!
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 5:00PM
PRO
City Cabinet Center, San Diego
If you cut the pony wall down to countertop height, I would not suggest extending the counter top out into the living room any more than 10-12 inches. A 10-12 inch overhang would not require any additional support and should be more than enough room to eat at the bar as well as entertain guests at the bar while using the kitchen. I agree with most of the posts above in that white cabinetry, especially a shaker door style will make the kitchen seem larger. Shaker doors are also very versatile and can be made to look more modern or traditional with various hardware.
1 Like   November 15, 2012 at 5:11PM
PRO
Excellent points, City Cab!
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 5:41PM
PRO
@cpaige, yes, I would lower the bar to 36" and extend it the 10-12" that City Cab mentions above, if you want to extend it. Otherwise, I would just lower it to 36".
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 5:46PM
cpaige29
@citycab is there solution you have regarding the small fridge space area? Would you agree with taking out the pantry and placing the fridge there?
Also I liked a lot of your white kitchens on your page! Do you have a specific model of cabinets and countertop that you would recommend for the space?
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 5:55PM
victorianbungalowranch
I chose to have a smaller frig in my small kitchen, and although sometimes I wish for more space, it does force one to keep the leftovers and unknowables to a minimum.

Getting rid of the pantry and expanding the cabinets and countertop space would be a great idea, as would extending the bar top so you can actually sit at it. I vote for the white cabinets as well.

Little spaces get cluttered very fast so I'm in favor of the taller height. I think it is very practical
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 6:03PM
cpaige29
More detailed pic
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 6:18PM
cpaige29
Pic
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 6:23PM
PRO
@cpaige29 I'm assuming that the fridge you have currently is 30" wide and also that you are desiring a 36" w fridge. You technically don't have to lose the pantry. You can take 3 inches each from the cabinets on both sides on the range. That will enable you to get a bigger fridge and also keep the storage.

By model of cabinets, I'm guessing you mean manufacturer? Many cabinet manufacturers make shaker door styles and there are also ready made cabinets (shipped from China with varying qualities) in shaker door styles. What line of cabinetry was you contractor going to use? Budget also plays a huge role in what cabinetry line will best fit you.

If you end up going with a flat white shaker door style as recommended by a few users, I would go with a quartz top that matches your bars chairs - looks like a nice tone of brown would work. I prefer quartz because of its uniformity and cleanliness. Also in such a small space, the natural lines that granite offers wont shine through as much as a big kitchen where you would see the entire slab.

Hope this helps.
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 1:54PM
victorianbungalowranch
Nowadays, they have bigger fridges that are taller, not wider, so you might not have to change the cabinets after all--just maybe get rid of the one on top--and reface.Or you can go just a little wider and taller, and get quite a lot more space.
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 3:07PM
cpaige29
@City Cab--my space is actually 28inches wide currently...my contractor recommended Tedd Wood? I do have another recommendation but can't remember the name on the top of my head...another suggestion he had was to keep the refrigerator in existing location and make the pantry a "pull out"...this way i still have the pantry but gain width for the fridge and counter space...i did notice these "pull out" are costly..for those he recommended Hafele...
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 11:38AM
PRO
You are going to gut the kitchen and get all new cabinets right? I don't have any experience with Tedd Wood Or Hafele, but judging from the Tedd Wood website, they have similar features to most order lines. What is the length of the entire wall from the left of the pantry to the right of the fridge? And what is the size of your desired fridge?

I'm not sure exactly how your contractor will save room by having pull outs instead of a "regular" pantry, but yes pull outs are a luxury ticket item. You can save a few bucks by simply having shelves.

Whats wrong with keeping the pantry and the fridge and making the shortening the width of the cabinets to the right and left of the range?
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 3:30PM
cpaige29
I will measure when I get home. This is the proposed material:
Custom Cabinetry - Kitchen Includes: Frameless Engineering Plywood Construction
Maple Wood Species
Enamel Finish
Shaker Door Style
Solid Wood Dovetailed Drawers
Blumotion Cushion-Close Drawer Glides and Door Closers Full Overlay Doors
Quartz Countertops
Hanstone or Zodiaq Material
Aurora Snow, Bianco Canvas, Snow White or Bianco Carrera Color Selection Eased Edge
Single Bowl Undermount Sink
Installation
No Backsplash (Future Tile)
12" Overhang in eat ledge area
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 3:34PM