Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my front door
kat67565
November 15, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I'm changing the front door with à wooden craftman door with a side window. At first I wanted a blue door. I tested benjamin Moore 2061-20 and I'm not certain it's the right tone. What color should I use or perhaps I shoud keep it to a more natural wood color ? Please help me!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
Wow, that's a really bright blue! I would go either natural, or navy blue with white trim: [houzz=
]
November 15, 2012 at 1:33PM   
charleee
Le Reve, check the second picture :))
November 15, 2012 at 1:38PM   
PRO
Le Reve Design & Assoc.
Use Benjamin Moore Newburyport Blue HC-155 or Kensington Blue 840 they will be nice and dark and not too vibrant. More classic.
November 15, 2012 at 1:40PM   
PRO
Realtor in PLACERVILLE
it would depend on if you want to sell in the future, what you find attractive and what a buyer thinks are different and a door is a higher ticket item that many buyers don't want to pursue at first so a natural would be better.
November 15, 2012 at 2:00PM     
tennisanyone
Shutters would be nice too. I think black would work to tie in the roof or is your roof blue. Tan would work too and would make the windows seem wider. Add a nice bench or move those two chairs which you could paint to the other side to balance the windows just to the right of that oval window and flowers to either side. Just don't make it red, white and blue.
November 15, 2012 at 2:06PM     
lefty47
HI -- No shutters but you do need to put trim around the front door to the width of the step landing. For a door color try BM's "Amsterdam Blue " or try a Navy in a satin finish . Or go with the color tone to match the roof. In the spring widen the front walk to the width of the front landing and edge the walk with some brick or patio stone to the tone of the house.. The driveway should move a little to the right if possible.
November 15, 2012 at 5:50PM     
lionscale
Have you considered building a deck that extends over the the end of the house by the big window? I notice you have chairs there. You could then change the walk way so it's moved a little further from the driveway plus have railing on the deck. I definitely agree with the suggestions for some kind of framing around the door or even a big planter and large exterior lights on either side. Color wise that I think Black, Charcoal, Navy or an earthy green color. We built a front deck and stained it a dark charcoal...I love it. I could see that working well with a black door.
November 15, 2012 at 6:04PM   
lionscale
The colors are not comparable but you it may help visualize the deck and then the symmetry and illusions of more width to the door simply with plants and lights.
November 15, 2012 at 6:18PM   
Shawn Lagemann
I agree that the trim around the door unit should be much more substancial than what you have now. I also agree that a stained wood door, very dark stain, would best suit the style of your home. Especially if you've purchased a real wood cfarftsman door of stain quality. Paint is great for steel and fiberglass doors. This house screams for a portico entrance, but that may not be in the budget at this time.
November 16, 2012 at 5:37AM   
charleee
i agree with all the comments about a more substantial trim around the door, at least as wide as the window trim, if not wider.
November 16, 2012 at 5:41AM