Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen help!!!!!!
house2514
November 15, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are in our sixties and would not be smart to spend a ton of money at this age----BUT I just want to not hate my kitchen---formica cabinets in great condition but ugly with oak trim---have all stainless steel appliances and new hardwood floor---PLEASE- WHAT CAN I DO FOR 4 OR 5 THOUSAND AND NO MORE-----ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! KITCHEN IS 12X12 L SHAPE
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
charleee
You could remove all the doors and have them professionally sprayed, then roll on the same color paint on the cabinet boxes. Add a pretty glass tile backsplash: [houzz=Hirsch Silhouette glass tile backsplash]
Mosaics

Glass mosaic tiles are really easy to install, we just finished my husbands bathroom and I'm (almost) in my 60's!
November 15, 2012 at 2:49pm   
lefty47
HI -- I have almost the same cabinets and the same problem . You could just replace the doors and then have some new handles. On mine I am going to try and spray paint chrome paint on the wood parts and if that doesn't look good to me then I will get the doors replaced or see if someone can remove the wood handle and replace with a stainless steel or chrome piece handle. Then I would replace (if funds allow) the counter tops for quartz or maple cutting board counters . Then if funds left over a full new backsplash from counter top to the cabinets.Take it a step at a time so you don't go over budget.
November 15, 2012 at 2:53pm     
PRO
Design Studio for Cabinetry
If your cabinet boxes are in decent shape you could order new doors and drawer fronts, you might be able to still get granite counter tops, depending on actual size. Otherwise, just replacing the old laminate with much better color laminate would fit your budget. They have some that look like granite now.
November 15, 2012 at 3:00pm     
charleee
I remember when these cabinets first came out and how much I loved them! I still like them today, but just like avocado green and harvest gold, they do date a kitchen.
November 15, 2012 at 3:12pm   
decoenthusiaste
Candice Olson, a Canadian, is always using "melamine" paint on these. I've never really heard the term stateside. However, rustoleumtransformations.com has a line of products for cabinetry and countertops that might save the day. There is also a product called "Instant Granite" to use on Formica countertops. I've seen the results - quite amazing. Probably need to cruise over to HGTV's Rate My Space and search for those phrases to see and hear about people's experience with them.
November 15, 2012 at 3:20pm   
house2514
Think I will try painting cabinets a light grey-glass tile backsplash and granite countertops. Would like to add stainless hardware to doors and drawers but do not know if it is hard to drill holes in formica?
Thanks so much for all the feedback.
November 16, 2012 at 3:53am     
charleee
Check with your local hardware store, there may be a special drill bit for formica.
November 16, 2012 at 3:58am   
Kivi
Huh? why is your age an issue with giving yourself a nice kitchen? My in-laws decided their house was not right for them when they were 83, and 81 years old. They picked a design from a magazine and had a new house built. They are now 87, and 85 and couldn't be happier that they did it.

Nothing hard about drilling into formica. Just clamp a scrap of wood against the back of the cabinet where you are drilling a hole so that the formica on the back does not get damaged by the drill bit as it goes through. You will get a nice clean hole.
November 16, 2012 at 4:15am     
house2514
Thanks all---Kivi----trying to save some money for pool in backyard---LOL
November 16, 2012 at 4:45am     
elklaker
Also put a piece of painter's tape on the right side to prevent chipping.
I would get new doors made, however. Not expensive and a better long-term option.
My young, 75 year old Mom did it and is thrilled.
Happy remodeling!
November 16, 2012 at 4:48am     
house2514
About 15 years ago and another house I tried to find a painter to pick up and spray doors---it was impossible ---no one wanted to do it, so ended up doing it myself. Primer-two coats of paint---it looked awesome but I am not able to do that now!
November 16, 2012 at 4:49am   
house2514
I should have said that these cabinets are in perfect condition ---just ugly---I have played around with just painting the ugly oak trim but just not sure if it would look stupid????
November 16, 2012 at 4:52am   
Shawn Lagemann
Do you like the contemporary styling of these cabinets? There are some overlay options available, but they do lean toward the contemporary.
November 16, 2012 at 5:12am   
intoit
If you like the white cabinets why not see if the wood trim can be replaced with a metal trim? It would give them a more modern look and be within your budget. I think a butcher block countertop would be lovely in your white kitchen, especially with a subway tile backsplash in a pretty light earth tone. If you wish to be more trendy go for the glass tile for the backsplash.
November 16, 2012 at 5:15am   
creeser
house2514, I have seen something like that done on hgtv, but for the life of me, can't find a link. Love intoit's idea of covering them with metal. A stainless to match your appliances. Then tile the backsplash area. If you can save the cabinets, then you would have enough in budget to replace the countertop with something you love.
November 16, 2012 at 6:28am   
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
I agree that a beautiful glass tile mosaic backsplash is just one easy way that you can help yourself love this kitchen. If you keep the counters white, a glass tile mosaic backsplash like the one below would complement them nicely, and at the same time go well with your beautiful light hardwood floors. With a backsplash in this color palette, you can keep the white cabinets (maybe paint over the wood handle parts at least?), or go for a light colored wood, and it would all work together very nicely.
November 16, 2012 at 8:43am   
More Discussions
Kitchen cabinet closings
We just paid a fair amount of money for a kitchen ....
Paint Color for walls in room with Rosewood and Teak furniture
My parents have a lot of teak and rosewood furniture....
How would you arrange furniture in this room?
This room seems off balance to me. I really want to...
milo baughman-where to find brass chairs
I want chairs like milo baughman but I just bought...
Is it much too red?
I wanted red and pink to be the main color of our place. I...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.