Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need tile help for entryway!
simpsonc
November 15, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Want to rip up 1970's tile, our split level foyer needs desperate makeover... Recently replaced iron railings with wood, still need to stain railings dark, paint balusters white. Walls are latte, hall tree and console table are black. Our style is casual/traditional, pottery barn &rest hardware-ish. What will look best?! Porcelain or stone? Light or dark? Help!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nevadan
What will look good depends on the architecture, the lightng, and so forth. Bring samples into the house. If you can't judge what is best, hire a decorator.
November 15, 2012 at 6:31PM   
PRO
Dytecture
Stone would seem more 'high end' and give a good first impression.

November 15, 2012 at 6:36PM     
Darzy
I agree with Dytecture. Stone is the way to go. And, the slate is really an excellent choice. Cleans up nice and even when it's really dirty..you can't tell! Until you clean it. : )
November 15, 2012 at 8:19PM     
PRO
ct design studio
I agree stone would be nice. Whether to go natural or not is partly a climate thing. If you live in a warm weather climate it doesn't matter. If you live in a cold weather climate, stone is a little trickier to clean with mud, snow and salt coming in. You can't use just anything to clean stone. There are a lot of great looking, stone look porcelains out there as well that will work for maintenance and cost issues.

A slate with a coloration like this would be pretty:

And of course hardwood is always classic.
November 16, 2012 at 10:16AM   
decoenthusiaste
If you deal with inclement weather, be careful with slippery stone - look for something with a bit of traction so you don't bust it (not the stone, lol!)
November 16, 2012 at 10:44AM   
PRO
Trends in Tile
I would stay away from natural stone. Although it is beautiful, it requires maintenance. Take a look at some of the new porcelains out there... mimics stone, less expensive and no maintenance.
November 16, 2012 at 1:39PM     
Joann Yurchesyn
Slate is a great choice! The one as seen in CT Design's photo is relatively cheap compared to other stone applications. We have this one and LOVE IT!! No maintenance at all really, just seal it. There's so many colors in it that a historical color choice is easy. We used Pittsfield Buff by Benjamin Moore. Good luck!!
November 16, 2012 at 2:17PM     
simpsonc
For the indecisive, maybe I should just go with hardwood....?
November 17, 2012 at 2:35PM   
PRO
Legacy Floors
November 17, 2012 at 2:38PM   
simpsonc
Do you recommend a lighter or darker tile than wall color ( or same)? I plan to have chair rail and picture frame molding installed, thought to paint white....
November 17, 2012 at 4:57PM   
Joann Yurchesyn
If you don't want to see the dirt and it's a busy traffic area with kids and pets, you should choose something mid-range. Slate is a truly excellent choice if this is a concern. Too dark, and you will see everything. Too light, and the same will be true. Lighter or darker than the wall color will depend on the look you are going for and the adjoining colors in your home. It's really just personal choice. If you're planning to do wainscoting in white, a beautiful clean neutral would be stunning w/that. You may lose that Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware feel that you're after if your color changes are too contrasting w/your custom wood work. One of my all time favoriate off whites w/white wainscoting is Natural Wicker by Benjamin Moore. It looks and feels great! Any neutral is going to knock your socks off though. Good luck!
November 17, 2012 at 5:26PM     
Joann Yurchesyn
Take a look at these to see what too much color can do to the look of your room w/wainscoting
November 17, 2012 at 5:30PM   
PRO
Cottage Craft Tile
A Stone look porcelain in a medium to dark shade. Walls and door are light and you want the contrast, but you don't want the furniture to get washed out in the process.
November 17, 2012 at 7:10PM     
finds2flip4
I would go with wide plank wood floors dark stain like what you will use on the railings. Hope this helps.
November 17, 2012 at 7:19PM   
dcer
Hi! There are so many types of stone,porcelain, and slate tiles out there. I would definitely go with a semi dark tile so that it doesn't show dirt. Also definitely choose a tile with traction, as said above. There are some tiles now that are made to look like wood, and are quite realistic. They would be a beautiful option. Good luck!
November 18, 2012 at 5:10AM     
simpsonc
Here is my new tile, went with a porcelain with stone 'look'. Also added molding. Any suggestion for paint? I was thinking to paint everything below chair rail white...? Will also be staining stair railings and painting stair risers white.
April 19, 2013 at 2:58AM     
simpsonc
Here is entry after painting.
May 19, 2013 at 10:09AM