Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Window Treatments for Bay Window in Bedroom
orangecamera
November 15, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have a bay window in my bedroom, which is on the first floor and facing the front of my house. I want a nice clean look, so thinking about room darkening honeycomb shades. I also want to have total privacy.

If I use room darkening shades, does that mean nobody can see through them from the outside? I wouldn't want anyone seeing even my silhouette when it's dark outside and my lights are on. If the shades aren't enough, what suggestions do you have for how to keep a nice clean look while providing total privacy?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
The thickness of the fabric will determine how much privacy and transparency you'll have at night time. Perhaps a suede like material would provide a good balance for softness and room darkening.

0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 6:43AM
charleee
orangecamera, I wouldn't want anyone seeing my silhouette, either, I'm a vey private person. Even when I have a window that doesn't need a treatment I put something there anyway.

What if you were to do both your idea, and Dytecture's? Room darkening honeycomb shades AND suede or microfiberf panels that you can close when needed? Or even thermal backed panels, they are definitely privacy providing.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 6:59AM
orangecamera
I'm always confused between "bay" window and "bow" window (and googling just confused me more). My window is not all the way to the floor, it's more like window-seat height. And deeper than the one in Dytecture's photo. So, I'd wind up with curtains inside the window-seat area, which is a look I'm okay with, but not sure how practical they'd be for me opening and closing them. I don't want to just put drapes across the whole thing (making the window shape disappear) but I may have to go that route if I can't figure out a better solution.

I'm planning to use the top-down/bottom-up honeycomb shades so I can still get some light in without opening up the view to outsiders.

Anyone know an easy way to tell how translucent the shades would be, without actually buying them and putting them through a test at home (that's an expensive test!). Do they make ones designed with real privacy in mind?

Here are pictures of the window prior to me moving in.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 7:14AM