Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
New bedroom setup doesn't make room for a bedside table
lbnqc
November 15, 2012 in Design Dilemma
This niche was created because my fiancé worked with builder and had them close up a loft space with that piece of wall to create true third bedroom with separate door access from both hall and bathroom. It seems like the right place for bed but don't know because I am,and have been my whole life, a bedside table lover! What to do?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
pruner
Is there room to swing the bed 90 degrees and use the alcove for a C of D?
November 15, 2012 at 9:43PM   
Manon Floreat
I'd like to see if pruner's suggestion is doable. If not, look into some of the floating bedside shelves. Mounting your lighting on the wall will free up the top.
November 15, 2012 at 9:53PM     
PRO
Monique Jacqueline Design
Manon, this is a great idea, but it look as though the problem is having the available width to slide anything between the bed and the wall. It would be great if Ibnqc could provide us with a sketch of the room and it's dimensions. We would also need to know the size of the bed. Would love to help get that bedside table in place!
Cheers! m.
November 15, 2012 at 9:57PM   
fife2
OK - I don't know what a C of D is? Any answer's?

I agree with Monique - I think we need more pictures here, or a drawing. I cannot figure out where the OTHER door is located.

MY first thought is this: Just because you needed to close up the wall, why was it necessary to make the little closet next to the bed? You could still close up the wall but, take out that closet there - yes?

MY next suggestion is to put the door which is open there next to the bed - on a roller which could slide the door open and closed. This would eliminate the swing into the bedroom. VanDykes Hardware - (Vandykes.com) sells all of the mechanisims for this type of hanging door. I have seen these used in attic restorations where there was no room to swing a bathroom door, or bedroom door etc. - and they can be VERY attractive.

BUT - still my biggest question: Why is that tiny closet stuck there next to the bed? I would really take this out, and then place the bed facing the open door now to the left of the bed in the pictures. Then we can talk decorating.

Let us know please?
November 15, 2012 at 10:15PM   
pruner
Chest of Drawers
November 16, 2012 at 4:50AM   
decoenthusiaste
Don't get the niche - seems like the builder was padding the project with extra hours, material and labor, all to no practical use. Will the bed work under the window? Not enough photos to figure out the exact layout. You could hang floating shelves on the sides of the niche with wall lamps above if there is an outlet in the niche. Might make it difficult to make up the bed though.
November 16, 2012 at 5:24AM   
lbnqc
Here are more pictures of room I will need to measure for exact dimensions but does this help a bit more? The closet is weird but was actually already there in the loft space before wall was put up to close room in so that will have to stay right now because I know he will not be up for taking it out.
November 16, 2012 at 6:23AM   
Aggie Purvinska
Can yo place the headboard in front of the window? Or is there no room to walk around the bed that way?
November 16, 2012 at 6:31AM   
lbnqc
Here are couple more two from bedroom door and middle one is taken from bathroom doorway and then you see the two closets in pass through to bathroom
November 16, 2012 at 6:33AM   
lbnqc
We talked about putting bed under the window maybe but the cable outlet is to the right of window in corner. I dont want to put it in middle of room across from door as that just feels wrong...
November 16, 2012 at 6:35AM   
Aggie Purvinska
Yup, headboard in front of the window! In the current layout, you walk directly into the bed from the hall, and that's not great. If you are afraid of headboard in front of window, look at examples on houzz, by extending the rod on the entire length of the wall, you can create a beautiful focal point, and you will have room for end tables.
November 16, 2012 at 6:37AM     
lbnqc
Oh sorry it is a queen size bed and we were trying to decide whether to buy just headboard to attach to frame or whole bed with headboard and footboard but think both take up too much room!
November 16, 2012 at 6:37AM   
Aggie Purvinska
Cable can be extended and that niche will be perfect for a dresser with a TV mounted on wall on arm.
November 16, 2012 at 6:38AM     
lbnqc
How high in front of window should you go??
November 16, 2012 at 6:39AM   
Aggie Purvinska
You can do all kinds of things with the headboard, check out "bed in front of window" in houzz photos to get ideas

[houzz=Bedroom 3]

[houzz=San Francisco Bedroom]

[houzz=Venice 4]

[houzz=Window headboard]
November 16, 2012 at 6:41AM     
lbnqc
Can't decide as well to take bifold doors off closets for easier and faster access??
November 16, 2012 at 6:41AM   
Aggie Purvinska
What would you do instead, sliding?

Do blend these guys in, they are very white closet door happy.

[houzz=
]
November 16, 2012 at 6:43AM   
PRO
Vintage Uniques
I think head at the window too and units should fit, but if you still prefer the bed as it is then shelves either side of the bed for lamps, books etc. Good use of space though well done.
November 16, 2012 at 6:45AM   
fife2
OK - here is the deal - it is just NOT going to work - the way you want it to: cable issues, door issues, side table issues, etc.

I would definitely move the bed away from the hall door - this to me is just wrong. It gives one the feeling of NO privacy. All of the pictures Aggie has provided are amazing.

Sadly, you do NOT have room for a queen sized full-bed with foot board - if you get this in there - it is going to be too, too much for your space and then you will have NO space left for anything else. I would definitely choose one of the above, or some-such and it will be AMAZING.

Please do not take off your doors - perhaps some sliding doors to replace them? Yes?

And, I too agree - can you paint the trim and doors the same color as the walls, but in a different finish - like a satin paint? This WILL make your room look larger. In a small space, having the trim a different color makes it look it is out lined around the room and creates the feeling of a much smaller room. Also: paint the backs of the doors in the room - again - blending everything into the space to make it seem larger - more open. BY using the same color in a different finish - it will make the color softer and take it down a shade - I learned this from a really cool decorator a long time ago.

ALSO, and this IS huge: IF you can install some crown modling, with a lovely profile - this wil too will make the room look larger.

And yes, ONE more: There are now drapery rods which can be installed on the ceiling - taking up NO wall space and providing the feeling of a cascade - to fill this window space wall - this certainly creates a wonderful design detail when working in small areas.

I am not crazy about all the brown, brown, brown rooms above - but their design elements are inpeccable. I hope you can find one which will suit both you and your husband. I think I like the design and scale of Venice 4 the best - simple, very elegant - and yes, with enough manly stuff for a husband. My husband would NEVER go for the first one - which I adore.

Please, Please - let us know what you end up with. thanks for sharing.
November 16, 2012 at 10:44PM   
TanCalGal
Night tables collect dust and are often messy. Be happy you do not have a space for the night tables. Have sconces on each of the niche areas or pendant lights. See ideas in ideabook here:

With the sconces & pendants, you might not need art over the bed, but if you do look on esty or here: http://www.houzz.com/photos/artwork
November 17, 2012 at 1:11PM   
reneedickson
Sconces on wall for lighting and it looks like you have enough space to use a small table like a plant stand size, it's a little higher and much smaller than a traditional table but
serves a place for a glass of water and book
November 17, 2012 at 5:25PM   
tennisanyone
Bed in front of the window and use that niche space for a makeup table with a huge mirror. Frame the bed with window treatments on the sides and end tables with lamps.
November 17, 2012 at 6:23PM     
judianna20
Tennisanyone...love your name. My license plate will have 10SNE1 as soon as the present owner gives it up!!!!

Agree with 10sne1. Bed under window, frame with window treatment, and put a great chest (ikea) and lamps in the now bed niche.

Also, suggest to your builder, he needs to learn about pocket doors when doing a tight construction. On that note, could you take off the bathroom door and move it?
November 17, 2012 at 6:35PM   
tahiranaqvi
Definitely move the bed under the window.
November 17, 2012 at 7:11PM   
orangecamera
Do you need to keep such a large bed in the 3rd bedroom? A smaller bed will give you more room for bedside table(s) I can't imagine NOT having a bedside table. Where would you put the tv remote, eyeglasses, phone, etc?
November 17, 2012 at 7:26PM   
tennisanyone
Thanks Judyg. Clever license plate. Wish I thought of that but you get it first, I'll wait my turn. I thought about 40dlove at one point. This was a fun room to think about.
November 17, 2012 at 7:36PM   
Laura Moncada
How about a shelf above the bed and wall mounted lamps? Something like this...

My Houzz: Contemporary Clasic in the Netherlands

Or what about something like these... with the built ins around the bed to make best use of the little space between the bed and wall? It would make the bed look like it's in an alcove if you made the shelves flush with the closet wall, if that makes sense.

Gatsby

Woodmeister Master Builders - WestWind

Or you could do cubes to add more storage than shelves would, something like these.

Contemporary Bedroom

Linda Fisher

Lakefront Residence

This is cool, too. Who needs side tables? :)

Original Vision

Good Luck!
November 17, 2012 at 8:05PM   
bgal231
As Laura suggests, you could work with/around the existing closet. A super simple fix might be to cut a hole in the side of the closet at the appropriate height for cubby & mount a light right above it. You could easily reframe it with molding. That only gives you a "table" on one side, but it's a start.
November 17, 2012 at 9:36PM     
hockey456
C of D = chest of drawers
November 17, 2012 at 10:19PM   
fife2
Thanks - I would have NEVER thought of that!
November 19, 2012 at 8:35AM   
fife2
Thanks - I would have NEVER thought of that!
November 19, 2012 at 8:35AM   
fife2
Bagl123 - yes, but that still leaves the bed Right Next to the hall door - and I think this is an issue. There is No room to enter the room without bumping into the bed. The room looks to be completely square - as well - not easy to do a 4 square room - with all these doors.
November 19, 2012 at 8:39AM   
fife2
Bagl123 - yes, but that still leaves the bed Right Next to the hall door - and I think this is an issue. There is No room to enter the room without bumping into the bed. The room looks to be completely square - as well - not easy to do a 4 square room - with all these doors.
November 19, 2012 at 8:39AM   
fife2
Ibnqc - I have another suggestion: Since your fiance had this made into 3rd bedroom for you'all, perhaps the BEST solutution to ALL of this - would be to take part of the closet, down there next to the bathroom - and put a door from the hall into the closet hall next to the bathroom?

Then TAKE OUT the door into the bedroom from the hall? You could then make the little nice where you have the bed - into an area for your TV, and add built-ins around it? This will give you more storage and another ENTIRE wall to work with?

IF you use sliding doors on the outside of the entrace to bedroom - you will also NOT have to allow for door swing? OR, it also looks like the closet is thick enough that you could add a reguluar door in that area, which opens from the inside ???

Could you consider this?

It just seems there are too many openings and too many doors for your square room and looks to me that something needs to go.

Please let us know. :-)
November 19, 2012 at 8:45AM   
More Discussions
Kitchen
Hi we are remodeling our kitchen from oak to cherry....
Bathroom remodel
I was thinking of river rock for the shower floor and...
Help pull this all together
Just received my couch and patterned chair w/ottoman...
Need help with Medium Bathroom remodel. Tile or Granite
Bathroom is gutted, now I need to decide on the design....
Unfinished Basement
Need a little help here. I'm looking into finishing...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.