Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Meditation room design in private garden
roj leather exports pvt ltd
November 15, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi iam redoing my private garden nd looking for a nice meditation room design would 60 sft be enough post me some ideas pls
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fife2
Amazing - where is this? This is a fabulous space.

First of all, I think you need to take everything off the ground and from under those fabulous walls on the right and THEN repost. Please?

Are you going to re-do the doors at the end - I certainly hope so. I would NOT get rid of one single thing attached to the walls. And I would definitely keep those posts or pillars or whatever that is.

I would then suggest the FIRST thing you do for now - is level the ground, get rid of the debris and PAINT the entire space a natural color of your chosing? ALL the space the SAME color. I actually really like the green which is on the outside walls. The blue column must go - try painting this too?

After you have restored the gates, SECURED your space and cleaned out all the debris - show us some pictures.

Do you get a lot of rain? Do you plan on using a lot of stone for design impact? Do you want some separate garden room spaces in this garden? All of these things are important - but it is very difficult to tell what we are working with here - as it all seems confused. I also think you might have a better concept of what direction you would like to go with, once these few simple thing have been done.

Will your garden area need a sloped floor space OR drain - for water? All of these issues must be decided PRIOR to implementing a complete design. Would you like a small ground level deck area in your garden as a focal point. Are you wanting a water feature? Do you have available water lines into this space?

Please let us know - I am sure EVERYONE will be very anxious to help you with this beautiful and exotic looking space. :-)
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 12:11AM
fife2
OH - can you post MORE pictures - like where you took this one from? Is the garden area level with the house entrance? Etc.
thanks
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 12:12AM
PRO
hi fife2 thanks a lot for ur indepth thoughts very kind of u.This is my residence i live in India city of chennai.This picture is of my private garden have garden all around the house thius one is behind my bedroom.Had korean grass before but due to lack of sun light we are removing it and have already bought wooden look tiles natural colour will be laying it in couple of days .will post more pics.
concept will be more like zen garden style thats what i have in my mind .
we have rains on season but have planned to make it slope and the right corner we will have plants being sandy area draining of water is never a problem.doors needs to be replaced they where originally antique doors got messed up .

the blue one is water cascade.

will keep posted..
2 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 1:36AM
fife2
Oh Gosh - can you fix those fabulous doors or have another one made just like it?

I thought you might be in India - I gathered this by the different design elements.

Since you like a ZEN garden feel - instead of laying tile everywhere - what about an area where you can sit and meditate? Perhaps a little ground level wooden deck - ?

I still think you need to paint everything the same color - this will make the space look more uniform and NOT interrupted - which is the background for a ZEN like space. I would definitely paint the water cascade the same color - yes? Does that mean it is where the water pipes are, or is this like a water fall - where water runs down the front of the brick?

What about making a VERY small fountain or water space - the sound of trickling water is one of the main elements of Zen or Japanese Gardens. You could place a small catch basin under the water - and place some beautiful water lilies from Nepal in the water. yes? Cover the sides - which should be level with the ground with plant material.

I don't know what kind of plants you have there which grow in the shade - but this what you need to find. Look for SHADE plants to place into your garden.

I am a geographer and anthropologist - so I do know about the monsoonal rains and the weather. Am I correct this is middle or southern India?

What about some beatiful carved or painted wooden benches for your garden? Is part of your area coverd so it does not get wet? Can you build a small covered area which you could hang silks used in saris on the sides and put beautiful colored pillows to sit on? We have a VERY large Indian-Hindu community here - where I live in Decatur Georgia - and several very large temples. I often go to the Indian stores and I am just amazed at all the beatutiful silks. I have used some of the beatufil silk scarves to cover the tops of the dresser where I keep my clothes.

My last suggestion for now is this: Look on this site for pictures of Japanese Gardens. I think this is what you are looking for.

Remember this: In Zen - elements of nature are used to create sound - water, light - for air, stones and sand - for earth, etc. Everything is usually very soft, natural and very simple.
This IS the peace where there are NO distractions.

I hope you can fix your beautiful garden gates - or have another door made to replace the broken one. They are amazing.

Please keep me posted. I will be anxious to see your added pictures of the whole space.

So very lovely. :-)
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 1:58AM
fife2
OK - had a realization here - you never said "Zen Garden" - but moreover, "Meditation" room? correct?

I did have another thought here: IF you put all of the tiles down - will there be a space at the end or on the sides where you can plant a border of plant materials - ??

Also, you could place a small ground level deck OVER some of the tiles, where you would just take one step up - I do know in India you can get just about anything one would ever need. You could surround this deck with beautiful, natural colored pots with plants - palms, or what might grow in shade/low light areas - FERNS - lots of ferns - soft, lacy - different shades of greens?
Then you could use this area for your mediation. Have the beautiful pillows. Perhaps you could even take some bamboo poles - tying these together with natural ropes and form a struture to sit under and hang silks from the sides - soft - billowing in light breeze?

The wonderful thing about Zen - and other forms of relaxation - is the play of shadow on walls, from the leaves of trees, soothing, mezmerizing - play of light and sound (the trickle of water on stone - water softly falling from bamboo faucets, driping onto stones).

I once read that Zen Monks (some Zen Monks) spent their entire lives - finding the EXACT perfect stone - and stone arrangement - for the water to drip onto - to create the perfect sound they wanted to hear. In Japan - this is considered very high art form.

Perhaps - you might order some books on the Concept of ZEN Gardening? This might give you some ideas to first play with, then take some of these concepts to create your own interpretation for your Garden.

I would also use some carved stone sculptures - placed around the garden.

Please do tell me about the blue water cascade - So I know what this is?

I also think before you lay all of the stone - you should definitely consider a small pond or fountain - a most important element for your beautiful garden.

Thanks.
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 3:02AM
PRO
Thanks a lot will write u Tom as iam out of office driving
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 5:27AM
PRO
Have decided not to have a meditation room here because of less space
0 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 1:23AM
PRO
Have updated pics but decided not to have meditation room will upload pics when it's clean
0 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 1:26AM
PRO
Blue one is the water cascade
0 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 1:33AM
greenthumb2
a narrow space takes real planning. I think it would be great if you can think about doing at least 3 transition spaces, small to medium to large or vice versa. one long space will only work for you if you like to pace and contemplate ideas.
1 Like   November 17, 2012 at 1:56PM
greenthumb2

. Only for a covering. Some open air and an area of conversation. Just an idea. Not necessary for there to be furniture or fireplace...a fountain can be a solid addition but two things; if it's noisy on the perimeter, you'd need a louder fountain to muffle noise, if it is peaceful on the perimeter, your fountain can be nearly soundless. very tranquil.
1 Like   November 17, 2012 at 2:03PM
greenthumb2

I was thinking 2 of these, one on either side of a symbol you cherish. If you had two placed, it would bring an element of time. Unsure if you would like that however.
1 Like   November 17, 2012 at 2:30PM
greenthumb2

very inexpensive once installed. LED system. for a lighted pathway.
1 Like   November 17, 2012 at 2:39PM
fife2
Gosh I LOVE all of the elements of your collection - very beautiful. Since you have decided NOT to have meditation space - while I do not understand about the space - since I think you have plenty of room - I am sure there are some stunning things to do with the space which will provide a total sense of peacefullness. I still suggest painting ALL the walls the same color - with the exception of the house wall - if you care to leave as is.

Greenthumb2 - this is her private garden outside of her bedroom - don't think the above is what she is looking for?

By painting all of the walls a soft-soothing color - you will neutralize them - and will bring forward only what is placed in the space. Perhaps a very soft natural beige or wheat color? A soft blue-grey? OR, a more naturalisitic soft green - brighter - harder colors are somewhat a shock to the system - yes?

Even your beautiful water cascade - could be painted a beautiful SOFT blue?

AND - meditation can be done ANYWHERE we find peace - not needed to create a separate space.

I would simply get lots of beautiful pots, with planted materials, some beautiful dark garden benches - placed along the walls - with some beautiful silk pillows, etc., and sit where-ever you like.

A lovel small fountain base below your water cascade with some lilly pads, and you are done.

And I do hope you can have those gates restored - they are SO fabulous and add so much to your space - what a treasure this is.

YES - please show us when you have laid the flooring - I just know this is going to be Amazing. :-)
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 8:59AM
greenthumb2
Hi fife2,

The pergola picture is for form only. A rounded (arched canopy area for quiet thought, conversation, meditation)...The client could use their own idea of materials, such as fabric, bamboo woven panels, bamboo poles. The fireplace was not part of the idea for them. It just happened to be in the pergola picture....

Reasoning; When there are very high ceilings in architectural styles, they often curb intimate thought. Open sky, yes. Tall ceilings, not often. Maybe roj has an open sky terrace, maybe there is no roof overhead. That would offer a different concept.

Yes, meditation is open to use at any place, at any moment, but roj asked us to think about this space. The solar tiles may work just fine. Often, the panels absorb all natural light from the sun and this would create a special glow at night. Subtle.

I am really glad you are interested in the posted project. Hopefully, more posters will join us.
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 9:40AM
greenthumb2
Here are some possible plants native to India.

roj, you may want to talk with someone who can tell you which, if any of these would be suitable for your space. Sensitive Smithia, Snake Gourd, Hill Turmeric, Wild Turnmric, Madhavii Lata, Dwarf Rhododendrum, Batino, Hachet cactus, Mountain Knot Grass, and East Indian Screw Tree. found the plants on native to india.net

Thought several examples would give you ideas for the kind of plant life you may consider, or not consider. You may think about if you want something in bloom all year by using a variety of native flora.
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 10:05AM
PRO
Greenthumb2 & fife thanks a lot for your inputs will keep u posted :-)
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 6:22AM
greenthumb2
:=)
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 7:28AM
PRO
Weatherwell Elite - Aluminum Shutters
I noticed that you might need a little privacy for your garden.

Where the black iron is you could use aluminum shutters in a soft walnut wood powder coat.

They would give you better privacy from your neighbors (you can adjust the blades to a suitable angle or even close them) and the aluminium wouldn't weather in the rains.

I think the clean design and horizontal lines would look very zen as well.
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 8:37AM
fife2
Hey Greenthumb: I agree, and suggested several things. The most is important thing to me, is all of the beautiful elements already contained in this enclosed space.

I am assuming it has roof, as she was not able to grow a type of Asian Grass here, and this IS one of the hotter regions of India.

What I love most - are those stunning Antique doors at the end of the space - for the garden gates - which I HOPE she can have one reproduced and the other repaired. this adds so much to the mysteriousness of the garden room. Love IT!

I lived for some time in Charleston, S.C. where many folks have "secret gardens" and I must say - there is quite nothing like feel so far away, when one is only behind a wall, surrounded by such beauty.

But - back to this: There are so many incredible design elements which she has - here - this bed-room garden will be majical no matter what she does. The water feature, the columns, the iron works above the right hand wall - and visual space alone - amazing.

I just cannot wait to see. She definitely wants her floor laid down, so - I am sure she will let us know.

AND - the we can assist - yes? Thanks for your input too . . . and yes, perhaps others will assist - but I do know there are so many things obtainable in India - it could absolutely be Magic! :-) Happy turkey day.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 10:02AM
fife2
Hey Greenthumb: I agree, and suggested several things. The most is important thing to me, is all of the beautiful elements already contained in this enclosed space.

I am assuming it has roof, as she was not able to grow a type of Asian Grass here, and this IS one of the hotter regions of India.

What I love most - are those stunning Antique doors at the end of the space - for the garden gates - which I HOPE she can have one reproduced and the other repaired. this adds so much to the mysteriousness of the garden room. Love IT!

I lived for some time in Charleston, S.C. where many folks have "secret gardens" and I must say - there is quite nothing like feel so far away, when one is only behind a wall, surrounded by such beauty.

But - back to this: There are so many incredible design elements which she has - here - this bed-room garden will be majical no matter what she does. The water feature, the columns, the iron works above the right hand wall - and visual space alone - amazing.

I just cannot wait to see. She definitely wants her floor laid down, so - I am sure she will let us know.

AND - the we can assist - yes? Thanks for your input too . . . and yes, perhaps others will assist - but I do know there are so many things obtainable in India - it could absolutely be Magic! :-) Happy turkey day.
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 10:02AM
greenthumb2
Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. I look forward to brainstorming about roj's space at a later date.
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 12:41PM
PRO
Hi all still the work is going on little slow will update soon little nervous of the outcome the doors had been worn out being antique doors kind of pest have eaten the woods they have to be removed :( sad of that see u soon.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 8:31AM
PRO
Aesthetic Tile Imaging
For interesting options in designing this space you may want to consider what can be done with artwork. Virtually anything that you can paint, draw, or photograph can be transferred to and kiln-fired on porcelain... see the photos on my Houzz page
2 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 8:38AM
fife2
Aesthetic Tile Imaging - HAVE YOU EVEN LOOKED at what is already in this beautiful space? Obviously NOT. I don't think TILE is what is needed here - her OWN art-and historical pieces are most stunning, and certainly could not be outdone with "created tiles". Ughhhhhh :-(
1 Like   December 11, 2012 at 11:09PM
fife2
'Roj: So sorry to hear the doors have been eaten away - can you have them reproduced by a local artisan? I think those are one of the most stunning features of your space. I think I could meditate anywhere in this space. Beautiful. Can't wait to see what you do. :-)
1 Like   December 11, 2012 at 11:11PM
greenthumb2
Hi Roj, If the doors haven't been carted off yet, take several photos of them and maybe the photos can inspire you to use the images in another way. And someday, maybe a local artisan can replicate in new wood. hope your weather is pleasant these days.
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 1:14AM
PRO
Hi All thanks have to remove the doors as they where completely worn out and needed to be pest controlled so my family asked me to make it maintanace free using metal grills ..even though I did not like metal I have to agree .
Mostly work should be finished in a week Nd r in final stage will keep u posted
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 2:57AM
nasmijati
Here are some photos from Houzz showing decorative metal screens.
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 4:26AM
PRO
Aesthetic Tile Imaging
I thought this was an open forum where we openly can share ideas and offer suggestions without condescending criticism.

One might be enlightened when they realize there are many ways to express art - and the beauty is all in the actual art. Using my tile imaging process is often just a means to an end - that is to say someone's art transformed into this format will endure the elements; it might otherwise become faded and degraded over time. I have found that many do not even know this is possible.

Please keep your shouting and grunting to yourself - thank you!
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 4:33AM
PRO
Hi aesthetic this is an open forum that's why we are able to discuss share what's ur problem and what do u mean ??????? Keep ur shouting Nd grunting ...I do not really get you I was just updating what's being done ..wooden antique doors again in a open area where rain and water falls may not withstand ...please be specific thanks
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 5:32AM
PRO
Aesthetic sorry to be rude you should keep your grunting Nd shouting to yourself ...
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 6:08AM
PRO
Aesthetic Tile Imaging
roj leather exports pvt ltd - sorry for the misunderstanding; I'm not referring to you at all. I was trying to avoid calling out the name of the one to whom I am referring, but since you appear to be offended I will point out the name - fife2. See the offending comment 7 comments before this one. The shouting is in ALL CAPS, and the grunting is "Ughhhhhh :-("
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 6:16AM
PRO
So sorry .......... :((( but fefe2 is obsessed by the door as I do dear Freind Nd sorry about my comments it's my bad day
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 8:10AM
PRO
Aesthetic Tile Imaging
Sorry you're having a bad day. Wishing you better days ahead ...
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 8:16AM
PRO
Work almost over in final stage will update pic in another before new year :-)
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 3:35AM
fife2
I would like to apologize to anyone here - who was offended. My first thought about the Asthetic Tile - was a spam reply because of the way it was written - and secondly, unfortunately for me, it is screaming or shouting - it is just the way I type - again my apologies to all.

As to the doors, again I am sorry - as an anthropologist - was just in awe of having something this lovely in a garden setting. All of the fabulous pictures of columns and other objects was magnificent - and I just felt the gates were a beautiful compliment to this setting.

I hope all of this turns out the way you desire and I apolgize if I have offended anyone.
1 Like   December 24, 2012 at 10:09AM
PRO
Fife iam fine with it not to worry ..cheers have a great time.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 4:53PM
PRO
LUMINHOME OPTOELECTRONIC CO.,LTD
we are manufacture in China , looking for distributor of solar garden light, web:www.oksolarled.com Email: kinglingelectric@gmail.com
1 Like   December 27, 2012 at 12:03AM
PRO
After
1 Like   July 19, 2013 at 1:35AM
PRO
After
1 Like   July 19, 2013 at 1:36AM
PRO
After
0 Likes   July 19, 2013 at 1:37AM
PRO
After renovation
1 Like   July 19, 2013 at 1:37AM
PRO
Buddha
0 Likes   July 19, 2013 at 1:38AM
PRO
Had been travelling a lot just got a little time to update still lot of small work pending
0 Likes   July 19, 2013 at 1:40AM
PRO
wow, so big project!!! cost more than 7 months
1 Like   July 19, 2013 at 1:44AM
PRO
Hi Simon it was completed in two months had no time to post was travelling :-)
0 Likes   July 19, 2013 at 1:50AM
PRO
Good style, like Mayan tribes style. Very Nice! lol....
1 Like   July 19, 2013 at 1:57AM
PRO
Does it look funny Simon
0 Likes   July 19, 2013 at 6:51AM
Fanny Navarrete
I love the transformation.
1 Like   July 19, 2013 at 7:06AM
PRO
No,No, not funny, just look like a historian's house.
1 Like   July 19, 2013 at 7:10AM
Fanny Navarrete
I also have a similar space and need help selecting plants & landscape. I plan to replace the existing deck with a new one & the rest will be travertine in french pattern or perhaps the entire area should be a deck?
1 Like   July 19, 2013 at 2:09PM
PRO
how about this in your garden?
1 Like   July 19, 2013 at 8:00PM
PRO
or this one?
1 Like   July 19, 2013 at 8:05PM
PRO
Just some ideas I liked
1 Like   July 19, 2013 at 8:26PM
PRO
Fanny above pics posted for u I guess u should have a deck and travertine make some tiny lights on the floor In a row I have done it will post u the pic today.if u have good sunlight I suggest ivy on walls and also almanda creepers on wall then hibiscuss hybrid which grows all season pink and white will be beautifull
1 Like   July 19, 2013 at 9:06PM
PRO
Almanda wall creepers
1 Like   July 19, 2013 at 9:08PM
PRO
Fanny select travertine similar colour of the deck like the wood colour it will be beautifull
0 Likes   July 19, 2013 at 9:11PM
PRO
I like your idea
1 Like   July 19, 2013 at 11:27PM
Fanny Navarrete
Thank you roj leather and Simon for your recommendations. I like the hanging chair and the almanda creeper on the wall. This will certainly liven up the patio.
1 Like   July 20, 2013 at 6:16AM
PRO
With the lights on floor at night
1 Like   July 20, 2013 at 8:54AM
PRO
How about the solar light? they are our product s.
1 Like   July 20, 2013 at 11:46PM
PRO
Looks great what is the cost and minimum qty?
0 Likes   July 21, 2013 at 1:07AM
PRO
USD 9.3 / USD 13.6 , Minimum qty 1000pcs each type .
1 Like   July 21, 2013 at 2:51AM
PRO
Price is good but minimum qty is too high .thanks
0 Likes   July 21, 2013 at 3:41AM