powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ideas to make this common playroom a great playroom?
LoveModern Deco
November 16, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi guys,

We recently moved in our new house and yesterday at midnight I finally had the bulk of the playroom done. However, the finishing touches are missing:
1) accent wall color
2) wall decals
3) window coverings
4) A carpet that fits better the size of the room (just got the one pictured from ikea but it is too small- maybe just get a second one?). The small blue and green is going.
5) missing a table for drawing and arts & crafts but not sure where to squeeze it in...

Any ideas!!? I was thinking maybe a green accent wall (the back wall)? And maybe these dots in complementary colors? Also, I was thinking that it would be cool to replace the chalk board with a stick on chalk decal and maybe also a dry erase one? All suggestions are welcome but please note that we are on a budget. Thanks!!! http://www.dezignwithaz.com/polka-dots-wall-decals-wall-sticker-p-843.html
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LoveModern Deco
A couple more pics :)! Thanks!
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 11:58AM
LoveModern Deco
A couple more pics :)! Thanks!
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 11:58AM
Aggie Purvinska
Very cozy! Yes to a second colorful rug!

If an accent wall, definitely the end wall, a muted lime would be my preference, not acidic, the dots could then go around the room and switch colors on the lime wall, like darker blue dots around the room that turn light blue on the Lime wall, or something.

Also a floor lamp or two, can be white from IKEA

The arts and crafts table can double as a coffee table with ottomans tucked under.
2 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 12:00PM
PRO
Inspired Interiors by Wendi, IIDA
I love the rug you chose from IKEA! It reminds me of a box of crayons. I would just purchase a second one and create two different play zones. Can any of the storage units be stacked on top of each other to create room for a table? Since the furniture already has green drawers and the sofa is blue, I would pull a third, complementary color out of the rug for the accent wall. Such as the pink, orange or yellow. Or, you may want to paint it with chalkboard paint and let your children create their own wall art. Regardless of the accent color you choose, I recommend solid, white curtain panels.
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 12:03PM
decoenthusiaste
Search in the box above under dropdown Products for Playroom. So many fun items - hopscotch rug, crazy lights, reading cave - you'll have fun and get inspired!
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 12:04PM
lefty47
HI -- I happen to be doing the same thing right now for my Grandson. You can go UP with some storage - right now you have everything down low and all that wall space is empty. First get some carpet tiles to go with the rugs you have or get two more of the multi colored rugs (not blue one) and carpet tape them together down the center of the room.. Have the green and white storage units attached together and have them on the right wall . If you can have them attached to the wall so the top is at about the 28 -29 inches level. Now you can add shelves on the wall above. Now the wall on the left have a 24 inch deep counter along that full length at the childrens level. with the other storage units under - one on each end and then add another storage unit under the middle . Now you have a huge surface for desk area and crafts etc. Put some more shelves and some big memo boards . They can be magnet black boards and or dry erace (idea paint ) . Benjamin Moore now has black board paints you can have tinted in any color you want. Move the futon to the far end of the room and you could have a storage ottoman in front.. Have roman shades or some colorful curtains from IKEA for the windows. Put track lighting down the center of the room . This way there is lots of play area in the middle of the room. I hope this helps you.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 12:36PM
nasmijati
Play is the work of children. As a parent you are your child's most influential teacher. Learn more about what the children need to grow and learn and do not worry yourself over dots on the walls.
Go to a preschool that is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children, and look at how the spaces are arranged, how the materials are stored, and what is on the walls, floors, and windows, or look at the information online.
As previously suggested, you could go "up" with your storage. YOUR storage. For the children, use low, open shelving with clear bins. When the child is age 30 months, you may begin using a color photo of the contents along with a label printed in one-inch or larger printed lower case letters. Do not use all capital letters for labels.

Look online at Lakeshorelearning.com. They are one of the leading USA suppliers of materials for children's play and learning development. Put "rug" in the search box for ideas for an additional rug for your playroom.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 1:49PM
PRO
The Shade Store
Hey Zineb!

DwellStudio has a line of designs and prints for drapery/shades that would be perfect for your playroom. Take a look at the picture below. Might be a good fit. More information here: http://www.theshadestore.com/landing/dwell

Good luck with the room. Looking good!
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 2:01PM
tennisanyone
Bean bag chairs in the same or different colors. Colorful paint maybe in a yellow but not sunshine yellow more like a golden and a chalkboard wall.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 2:46PM
Nancy Hehmann
There are colorful rugs with roads on them for running cars along them.

Check out JCPenney.com for Roman shades etc. They have thermal style if you need help with insulation too.

You could hang your childrens art on the wall. Just mat and frame! It looks great. My son just recently bought reg. canvas at a sewing materials shop and stapled it to frames he made. He let his 4 and 5 yr old sons each paint (acrylic) their own painting. Or if you dont want to make canvas, Michaels always has a coupon online for 40% off 1 item.

Dont know what ages; but WII is a big hit when the kids come to our house even when they were younger.

If you do not already have them, check out Etsy.com for wall decals. Just input what you need in Etsy's search engine. I have a photography shop on there, nancyhehmann is the name.

Another thought for wall art, upload a picture of them to Shutterfly and they will make a decal of your child.
Have fun!
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 4:10PM
victorianbungalowranch
My sister-in-law hung up kids' art on a line with colorful clothespins and it looksreally cute, and is easy to change.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 4:39PM
nevadan
Would have to know more about the kids but you are courting an accident by placing the couch in fron of the window whereby a chiuld will jump on the couch and fall trhough the window or be pushed. A playroom with windows like that is a problem from the get-go. Your best bet would be plantation shutters for safety. Forget rugs. Kids like to play on bare floors and that is better for their electric train, trucks, etc. Easy to keep clean with a dry mop or swiffer. Set up a reading nook with lights and chiars the kids can use. Set up a bookcase nearby for their own books and their library books. They like to do their crafts on the floor. Set up a low table for their puzzles and their Playmobile.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 4:42PM
nevadan
Would have to know more about the kids but you are courting an accident by placing the couch in fron of the window whereby a chiuld will jump on the couch and fall trhough the window or be pushed. A playroom with windows like that is a problem from the get-go. Your best bet would be plantation shutters for safety. Forget rugs. Kids like to play on bare floors and that is better for their electric train, trucks, etc. Easy to keep clean with a dry mop or swiffer. Set up a reading nook with lights and chiars the kids can use. Set up a bookcase nearby for their own books and their library books. They like to do their crafts on the floor. Set up a low table for their puzzles and their Playmobile.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 4:42PM
LoveModern Deco
Hi guys, thank you so much for the awesome feedback! To answer some of the questions, my boys are 3 1/2 and 5 1/2 years old. I really like the idea of the accent back wall in either muted lime or muted yellow. As far as the carpet is concerned, buying a second one is a bit outside the budget for the playroom. Being that the dimensions don't match anyhow I was thinking of replacing it with flor tiles as someone suggested above. How about these: http://www.flor.com/ups-downs-red.html
or just stay in the blues and greens like the small pottery barn carpet but in flor tiles??
0 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 9:22AM