Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with paint ideas!
bethkline21
November 16, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi there! I am a new homeowner for the first time! My husband and I purchased a home with kitchen cabinets that is a birch wood stained with cafe and oak floors stained autumn. We love love the calm beach cottage looks much like cape cod for the walls but worry about it clashing with the warmth of the floors/cabinets. Our wish paint list is BM's Guilford Green for the kitchen and BM Wickham Gray for entry way/family room. IS this going to clash? HELP!! p.s. the carpet is going to be pulled up and replaced with the hardwood floors before closing date!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
judianna20
It is not that the paint colors will clash it is that those colors are too dark for the CC look. Which direction are the rooms facing? PS I am on Cape Cod. Where are you?
November 16, 2012 at 5:47pm   
faye53
Birmingham, Al My room is facing west. What color of furniture do you suggest to lighten up the room
November 16, 2012 at 5:48pm   
bethkline21
The colors on the floors or the paint colors are too dark? I am right outside Savannah GA home is located on the marsh.
November 16, 2012 at 5:49pm   
faye53
The color on the wall is gray, which I find to be dull.
November 16, 2012 at 5:52pm   
bethkline21
I wanted a dray with blue in it.
November 16, 2012 at 5:54pm   
bethkline21
gray*
November 16, 2012 at 5:54pm   
bethkline21
like this...which is wickham gray
November 16, 2012 at 5:56pm   
judianna20
Lppk at BM gull wing gray or 2116-60 touch of gray. It really is a lavender gray, but you can accent it with charcoal and pewter. It will do much better with that mean west sun than a blue gray. As for the green, which way is that room facing? Sun does bad things to grays, greens and yellows.

Who is faye53?
November 16, 2012 at 7:44pm   
bethkline21
Not quite sure yet which way the rooms face my guess would be SW. As for faye53 I have no idea...she just jumped in this :) I am going to check out gull wing gray, does it have some blue in it? Thanks!
November 16, 2012 at 7:48pm   
lorussocontracting
You can never go wrong with earth tones.
I have BM Metropolitan AF-690 (a blue-gray), Costwald AF-150 (a darker beige with a hint of grey) with Vapor AF-35 for the trim color in my living room and foyer. They all work really well together.
I suggest picking out a few of your favorites, getting those samples mixed and paint them on the wall (in the same area.) Then you can see how they look during different times of the day with various levels of natural sunlight and your lighting sources at night. The colors do change depending on the light source. Then you can see how they react with your flooring and other upgrades you have made.
Good luck in your search.
November 16, 2012 at 8:41pm   
jenn74
I would also look into bm revere pewter hc-172, its a phenomenal grey ;)
November 16, 2012 at 8:48pm     
Sherry Mau
just like jenn74 suggested: revere pewter. love that color, have it in my living, dining and kitchen.
November 16, 2012 at 9:41pm   
bethkline21
Thank you all for the suggestions! I am deciding between revere pewter or gull wing gray and between hancock green or camouflage. I am pretty sure I will go with cotswald for the hallways to blend everything together and make it all seem cohesive :)
November 17, 2012 at 10:37am   
judianna20
Gull wing is a blue gray. If you choose it, paint it in an eggshell finish. It will really help with that south/west sun. It looks gorgeous, believe it or not, with Revere Pewter. Scouted around the web. Take a look at this room and how the two colors have been used. http://vividhuehome.blogspot.com/2012/02/skys-limit-painting-ceilings.html
November 17, 2012 at 11:56am