Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Layout of kitchen
Danijela Quenzler
November 16, 2012 in Design Dilemma
What are some thoughts on the layout of this kitchen. Initially there was a peninsula at the end of the pantry and it just cut the room in half. After some deliberation and gauking at ideas, this is what i came ip with. Thanks for your time!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
It looks like an interesting layout. I'll be interested to see what the kitchen designers have to say about it. I'm not so certain about the L shaped island. It's the upper leg of it that bothers me.
November 16, 2012 at 7:39pm   
lefty47
HI -- Well it looks interesting but it needs to be drawn out from measurements . Not too sure on the island - at this point it doesn't look like it will fit . Sometimes people try to be too fancy with the island design and then it doesn't work. But like I said , it will all have to be measured out.
November 16, 2012 at 7:53pm   
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
It always comes down to the actual dimensions. If you can suppy the measurements I'd be happy to help.
November 16, 2012 at 8:30pm   
Danijela Quenzler
Layout
November 16, 2012 at 9:45pm   
Danijela Quenzler
The double island just doesn't work and neither does the dinette area.
November 16, 2012 at 9:49pm   
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
Everyone wants an Island but sometimes a Peninsula works better.
I like this layout for your space. It is more open, more functional and even less construction.
November 18, 2012 at 8:19am     
Danijela Quenzler
Thank you! We are very fond of this layout, because it was in our previous home. And yes, the open layout works very well!
November 18, 2012 at 1:19pm   
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
With the upper level pennsula you will have a riser in front of the sink to put outlets and switches. Also when you are at the sink you will face people at the bar, the table and the windows.
November 18, 2012 at 1:23pm   
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
Nice tile work over the range is also on full display in this design.
November 18, 2012 at 1:24pm   
Madeline
I am not able to discern Mr. Main Line, sir, if there are cabinets above the peninsula although a clue provided is "upper level peninsula." I know it's not my kitchen (I wish I were redoing my kitchen!) but these details might help me formulate and give my advice. (And we know how important that is.) Thanks so much and have a great evening, madeline
November 18, 2012 at 1:43pm   
Aggie Purvinska
I think something similar to you old layout will work quite well in this new kitchen..one thing I would consider is to move the Range Top towards the corner, or even consider range top in the corner, this way the storage where the range is now will be dishes, so that when yo unload the dishwashers you have someplace to put the dishes and your triangle is better, too. You can end that entire run with tall double ovens cabinet.
November 18, 2012 at 1:53pm   
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
Hi Madeline,
No I would keep it open above the peninsula. That way you would have an unobstructed view of Table, people, and windows. Peninsula upper cabinets would need to be attached to the ceiling and the ceilings in this kitchen are 10 feet high.
November 18, 2012 at 2:06pm   
Madeline
Thank you, Main Line, sir, I am pleased that is your answer. I lived with upper cabinets on a peninsula for ten years and then day I just decided to demo those cabinets by myself. My husband ultimately helped and when they were down I could not believe how much our gorgeous ocean view was further enhanced! Right now I have an island that I consider too large and "too deep", and things accumulate on it that do not belong. The breakfast bar end of it is never used (we have a big 60" round table close enough by to sit down with a cuppa whenever the desire strikes). It's very much wasted island space. But as you say everyone wants an island, just like everyone now seems to want gray walls! Have a great day, madeline
November 19, 2012 at 8:09am   
Danijela Quenzler
Here's what we have come up with. The dimensions are bit off, but I believe this will help with the flow as well. The peninsula will still remain raised (part of it) and rounded. THank you so much for opening our eyes to the potential of this kitchen. We've been looking at the plan for months and just could not figure out how to make it flow. Thank you!
November 19, 2012 at 11:51am   
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
This isn't a functional design. Every time someone goes to the refrigerator they will interfere with the person at the sink. Having a lot of counter top is only good if it is in places you need it. I think is is time to go to a professional kitchen designer before you make choices you may regret.
November 19, 2012 at 11:57am   
Danijela Quenzler
It is with a professional right now, but she doesn't seem to be "bringing" any design into to the table - which is extremely frustrating.
November 19, 2012 at 12:01pm   
nevadan
Island tolerances way too small. Sink too close to range.
November 19, 2012 at 12:19pm   
Danijela Quenzler
Here's an example of 2 kitchens we've done in the past, that have a similar design. Yes you are right, if this were a kitchen stadium work area, it wouldn't work. But for entertaining and over all flow, it works.
November 19, 2012 at 12:33pm   
alwaysdesigning
My husband is a residential architect and we are designing our next custom home. My own personal preference is I don't like to have any appliances in the island. It is very limiting. We use our island for buffet set ups and also with a couple of eat at barstools. I prefer to use it as my main mix, chop and slop area, and I can use it from all sides. I have even used it as my sewing layout table for big projects. A professional designer will be most helpful. If the one you are working with is not getting what you want, then time to move on to someone else. Good luck; I am sure the space can be awesome if designed appropriately for your use.
November 19, 2012 at 12:54pm   
Madeline
Hi, You have said the design is in the hands of a "professional" now who doesn't seem to be bringing you ideas. There are all sorts of professionals who will be helpful to you. But you need a professional kitchen designer. Even when working with an architect and designing a home the happiest outcomes come about when a professional kitchen designer is brought in early to work with the architect. I cannot stress this enough. It does not seem that the person with whom you now work is a kitchen designer. Please make sure your person has lots of experience designing successful kitchens. Ask to see her portfolio and of course, her list of references. Please ask to visit some of her recent projects. (I just helped a friend redo his kitchen. He insisted on using a general contractor, an acquaintance from church, as his "designer." The end result was a disaster, and an expensive one.

For instance a good designer will tell you that if feasible it is best if the sink is placed in the middle between the cooking source and the refrigerator. And in your present drawing, the end of the cabinet run is labeled a peninsula when clearly it is not. Please find a professional kitchen designer. You will not regret it. Good luck, madeline
November 20, 2012 at 6:29am   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.