Users
Sofas: Skirted or Not Skirted?
cidel
November 17, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Which are considered to be 'formal'?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Dawn Hearn Interior Design
I would consider a skirted sofa typically more formal, especially if it has a long waterfall, or dressmaker, skirt. I think the overall style and details of the sofa makes it "casual" or formal".
November 17, 2012 at 8:19am   
feeny
I prefer unskirted sofas, unless it is a casual slipcover. The skirted ones can sometimes look fussy. But that's just a personal preference.
November 17, 2012 at 8:42am   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I think we're moving away from skirted sofas, even in traditional homes. I'd go for a traditional sofa with attractive legs. However, if you love the skirted variety, I'd look for one with a dressmaker skirt, as is shown in third photo below. I prefer the dressmaker skirt to the shorter skirt shown in fourth photo. Geneva Sofa Burlingame Sofa Nicki II Slipcovered Sofa Beekman Sofa
November 17, 2012 at 9:05am     
charleee
Personally, I prefer unskirted. Skirted sofas provide great dust bunny hiding places.
November 17, 2012 at 10:35am   
PRO
Dytecture
I agree, even a more traditional room should look 'clean' without the skirts.

November 17, 2012 at 10:37am   
Elyn's Library
Like most everyone else, I prefer unskirted sofas. I think they look more open and comfortable.

But, IMO, if you are looking to create a more formal, permanent, anchored look, then skirts usually make the sofas, and other upholstered pieces, look more anchored, heavier.
November 17, 2012 at 11:05am   
dcer
As the above commenters have said, I prefer unskirted. As Carolyn suggested, there are many traditional sofas out there with beautiful lines and legs! I think that it's time for sofas to show a little leg! :)
November 17, 2012 at 11:32am     
cidel
We will have a small living room (11x16) & have decide to go with two apposing sofas. The fireplace at one end and the two leaded glass pocket doors at the other. This is a furniture layout that I have always wanted.

The Pic is of a love seat, so the two sofas will be longer, still 2 seater though, and a rich brown.

Thank you for your suggestions.
November 18, 2012 at 3:11pm   
PRO
Two sofas in front of a fireplace, facing each other, speaks of romance and wonderful evenings by the fire. Enjoy!
November 18, 2012 at 5:23pm   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.