Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dining room needs help
Jenny Edwards
November 17, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am looking for suggestions for a new light, art work and other decorating tips. The paint is new and staying, the table is staying but only for another year or two, when I hope to save for a table/chairs/buffet (suggestions?). I am willing to paint the table or refinish the top, but I'm not sanding the chairs or base of the table as I don't love it enough! This is a very busy area where our family of four eats all meals, and two school aged kids do crafts and homework, so although I love the look of a showhome, it needs to be practical (no rug, because the amount of food and playdough I sweep up on a daily basis is astounding). Thanks for your time!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Natalie
Hi---tailored window panels in a neutral hue, new light, a huge painting or mural, and table base paint dark chocolate/black. Hope this is helpful... Good Luck!
[houzz=
] http://www.muralsyourway.com/thoroughbreds-under-oak-trees-mural/#
November 17, 2012 at 11:17AM     
dcer
Hang floor length drapes, a large piece of art/ family photos. New light fixture hung lower, new dining table and chairs(eventually) Move water tank to kitchen. I have attached inspiration pics. Good luck!
November 17, 2012 at 11:53AM     
Nancy Hehmann
You can look on Etsy.com for artwork which could be photography or painting. Just input what you like in their search engine. Such as photography and a theme or place. I have a photography shop on that site, nancyhehmann and can customize what you might like as far as size or media. The artisans and craftsman are from the US, Canada and all over the world.

I think parsons chairs make wooden tables look very nice in a kitchen or dining room. Breaks the monotony of the wood.
November 17, 2012 at 12:39PM     
PRO
INTERIORS by Charissa LLC
Could you take a photo from the painted wall in the other direction? I'm curious to know what's behind you. That is a great window and isn't really doing much for the space as is. I'd like to see the rest of the space before making recommendations, but I agree that the Culligan water tank should move for starters. :-) Does your table extend at all? If so, you could use the four chairs on the sides, add some fun parsons chairs on the end and paint the tabletop one of the colors in the chair. Here's an example of a fabric that would add alot of life to the space.
http://www.kirklands.com/product/Furniture/Chairs/Pollyanna-Parsons-Chair/pc/2285/c/0/sc/2316/164078.uts

Or, if you are concerned about cleanability, maybe a brightly colored vinyl chair that can be wiped down easily like this.
http://www.pier1.com/Mason-Bonded-Leather-Dining-Chair---Avocado/2536368,default,pd.html?cgid=dining_room

As a bonus, here's some artwork that would look great with that last chair and your wall color. I think if you go this route, you should paint the tabletop an espresso wood color.
http://www.pier1.com/Elegance-Art/2605047,default,pd.html?cgid=kitchen_dining

So much for not making recommendations, huh? :-)
November 17, 2012 at 1:08PM     
PRO
Monique Jacqueline Design
Hello!

You have been given some great ideas about the art and the photo colage wall is a fabulous ideas as well. You could pull your dining set down to what I am thinking is the bay and get it out of the door way of the kitchen. Drapery panels with a subtle pattern would be great on the windows. If you wanted to bring in some color, wheat and blues would be beautiful on your brown walls, yellow and oranges would be stunning with a touch of green tones. Bring the draperies in just on the outer perimeters of the bay. The chandelier that Natalie brought in is beautiful!
With that chandelier, that is your statement! It would not go with your current dining set, but keeping in mind that when budget permits you would be bringing in a new one, that would work. You could paint the table top a darker tone to give the table some weight. It feels very underscale due to the existing paint color. You could also refinish the entire table, but not sure if it is worth the time and effort if you are replacing it within the next two years.
Hope this gives you a little bit of guidance!
Cheers!
m.
November 17, 2012 at 1:39PM   
pcmom1
Very easy fixes for now: large jute rug for under table, a nice textured table cloth (solid color) and then some chair pads. Top the table with a wood bowl filled with apples (or something seasonal).

These things will really warm up the space. And, if possible, a new home for the water cooler.
November 17, 2012 at 2:37PM     
judianna20

Here is a pix for inspiration. Leave your table as is and paint the chairs blue. That should break up the dark brown walls. Move the water cooler, a new chandelier and rug as was suggested as those things alone will make all the difference. Are you married to the brown walls? In this pix the walls are BM palladian blue.
November 17, 2012 at 2:44PM   
judianna20
And a mirror on that back wall.
November 17, 2012 at 2:46PM   
PRO
Am I the only one that is seeing that wall as more of an eggplant color? Is it a chocolate brown or does it have a purpleish undertone?
November 17, 2012 at 3:09PM   
rosiescathouse
Rug under table. Center table around the bay window, if possible, getting it out of the path to the kitchen. Paint the wall with the window and door to the kitchen dark like the rest, or paint the whole room lighter. It looks as though that's the only wall that isn't painted, and it's turning that one into the accent wall which will make your eye wander over there and look into what might not be a very exciting kitchen. It's not a good accent wall. Mirror on wall over the sideboard. It will bounce some light around in that dark end. The brown may be too dark overall for that room, but definitely do not leave that one wall beige. It should not be the focal point. Also, get a more fun and larger hanging light over the table. Maybe something with a little glitz, or just a big round white glass ball (more modern). If you really like the dark brown walls, find some bright accent colors. You can use these on the table, some accessories on the side board, and chair cushions.

Good luck. I know it's never easy, but it should always be fun.
November 17, 2012 at 5:04PM   
tennisanyone
Is your wall brown? I love that color. If it is, paint your chairs a robin's egg blue and paint the base a chocholate brown or whatever color the back piece is. Can you get another piece and use that whole back wall as a buffet server. Use big wicker baskets underneath to hide the clutter. Add a lamp and some nice accessories and a big picture above it. Charissa suggested, green chairs thats nice too and follow whatever color you like throughout. It will make the space pop right now. Green or robins egg blue which is very in right now leather parsons chairs, (even Target has them) easy to wipe off so you don't have to worry about spills with the kids and the chairs will dress up the room. A more substantial light fixture and a rug even though you don't want it but in the future when play doh is no longer an issue. Remove the water cooler and take a picture going in the other direction.
November 17, 2012 at 5:56PM   
PRO
homing
how about them?
November 17, 2012 at 8:21PM   
pcmom1
Yes, furniture placement does seem off. Someone mentioned positioning table centered with window. Try that! Does the table have an extra leaf? Then a larger table would have more impact.

And also agree that kitchen wall should also be the eggplant color.

Put the table with the plant under the passthru, but remove the plant and put it up on the ledge to kitchen. Add a bowl with lemons to ledge also. Some things to catch the eye.

With the table moved down you will have the space for to create a great desk area or built ins.

Second option. Understand wanting to save yourself as much walking as possible (is this the everyday eating spot?). If you want table next to kitchen doorway, place it in front of doorway. Probably need to move the long table out of the way. You may be close enough to sway chandy over (longer chain).

Then I would add an overhang to the pass thru from kitchen and add a couple of stools. The dark small table could be placed next to window with a chair next to it.
November 18, 2012 at 9:03AM   
PRO
Pcmom1, I'm glad you see eggplant too! I was going to recommend rearranging the furniture too, but I wanted to see how she was using the rest of the space in the other direction. I do agree your console table would be better under the opening as it's dark finish is getting lost against the darker wall color. I think there are some other decisions that need to be made before adressing the chandelier. Jenny, are you still with us? :-)
November 18, 2012 at 9:30AM   
Jenny Edwards
Here I am! I had no idea I'd have so many responses so quickly and I've been out and about. First of all, thank you for all the great ideas, it's so amazing how many different theories decorators can have. My walls were just painted and will not be repainted as I hired someone for $200 (who I really liked) to come in and pick the colors and placement of them. The back wall is Clinton Brown, the window wall is Bed of Ferns, and the pass through wall is Putnum Ivory, all B. Moore. As I said in the above, I won't put a rug in due to messy kids - this is our everyday eating area as well as our company eating area as the kitchen is too small for an eat-in area. We do have two stools on the other side of the pass thru, which are used sometimes. In terms of taking a picture from the other wall, I will, it is the living room and it is in chaos right now due to being painted. The kitchen is also in a bit of disarray for the same reason (you'll be happy to know the water cooler is only there temporarily due to the kitchen being painted and not wanting to house it in my hallway). I agree that the back table is too dark, it's actually a sofa table that had nowhere else to go a few years ago and lacking anything else to put there it went there. Again, the plan is to get a completely different piece to put there, I like the idea of a long console/buffet type thing with art or a mirror above it.

The bay window is absolutely fabulous and does have panel drapes (floor to ceiling in an ivory/earthy green color but they came down while painting). I don't think putting the table and chairs there will be ideal given the chandelier and I'd rather not have to do anything major with moving light fixtures. Changing them is the plan, but not the placement of it. Also, the table is as big as it gets, the plan is to get one that extends to 82 inches, someday. For now I like the idea of re-staining the top and painting the base the same dark brown - what should I do with the chairs in that case? Painting them and putting cushions on is an option, any fabric suggestions? Someone suggested painting the chairs blue; with the green wall? Really? I wouldn't have thought that could work.

Natalie, I love the chandelier, I will look for something similar since Pottery Barn is a no-go for me due to being smack dab in the middle of Canada. Shipping would be prohibitive and inconvenient. But keep the ideas coming, I love it, and I'll post more pictures of the living room and kitchen, also in need of some TLC!
November 18, 2012 at 9:53AM     
pcmom1
Reread your post and love the comment about the play dough! Understand not wanting rug, but there isn't much contrast between table and floor. How about indoor/outdoor carpet? Really, it has come a long way!

But if not, and you don't want to sand and paint or stain chairs.... add dark chair pads, the kind with the non skid backing (better with kids!). To the top of the table a large,dark wood bowl filled with bright green apples. Just dressing up the table with that would be a transformation.

Try the dark sofa table under the pass thru. Add more dark accessories to it: wine rack to bottom level,some nice rattan baskets to hold craft supplies, extra napkins,etc. And, for the wall that is now vacant, I would check out furniture consignment and antique stores for a larger piece. In the corner add a large plant or basket of branches.

Only other thing I can think of for now, clear the things off the front and top of frig. Perhaps a large bulletin board elsewhere? Add a pretty bowl or something to the top of frig. Even though it is a different room, the eye still sees it.
November 18, 2012 at 2:12PM   
Jenny Edwards
I do think I will paint the table, I just didn't want to have to strip it down completely. But a light sanding and paint I can do. I'll see if I can attach a picture of something I think is possible...

I used to have the sofa table under the pass through and I would bang my hip on it ALL THE TIME, drove me crazy so that's why I moved it. I have been checking thrift stores and Kijiji for a buffet or something, and I would just get rid of the sofa table. A large plant I would kill, but already dead branches sounds within the realm of possiblity. Should they be a light color to stand out against the dark wall, or be more subtle?
November 18, 2012 at 4:37PM     
PRO
Jenny, I don't think you could tell that wall was green from the pictures so I don't think a blue would be the best choice for the paint. I'm afraid if you paint the whole table, you will also need to paint the chairs. They will look very stark in contrast with the dark table. Painting them would also provide contrast against the floor without a rug. Just throwing this idea out there, but you could possibly paint the chairs a couple different colors? That would definitely add some life to the space!

Watermill Residence Interiors

Dining area

POPLAR RUN - OXFORD

Dining Room
November 18, 2012 at 5:13PM     
Jenny Edwards
I'm sure I could paint them whatever colors paint comes in, I'd be a bit afraid of making it look like a daycare centre though. Whimsical, I am not
November 18, 2012 at 5:23PM   
Jenny Edwards
I could paint them the same brown, and still put cushions on them. I was apprehensive about painting chairs and then having them get terribly scratched right away. Cushions would help, maybe I could do color there?
November 18, 2012 at 5:25PM   
PRO
Yeah, it's not for everyone! Just thought I'd throw it out there. You could paint them the same color and add some cushions. Do you have Pier One up there? They have some great options for infusing color into the space. Or you could just do a single color like ivory, black or a rusty red. I do like the idea of mixing it up, just maybe not as whimsical. :-) I guess just painting it all the same makes it look like a painted basic table set. But painting the same set in two colors would add quite a bit of character Here's some inspiration...

West Coast Hampton

Shingle Style Dining Room

antiqued, glazed, stained, and distressed kitchen table, chairs, and hutch

Harris Dining
November 18, 2012 at 6:13PM     
agarcia3201
I like the idea above of a distressed or antiqued ivory for your table. I'm attaching another idea for it. With chairs being a different color. I think it would give your table a new life and perhaps you could even keep it a little longer. The same paint technique could even be applied to your sofa table or buffet. Some artwork that gives a nature scene might work nicely since those are kind of the color selections one your walls. I've selected some birch trees art from Pier1. Not sure if Pier1 is accesible to you but there is tons of art out there with birch trees.
November 18, 2012 at 6:39PM     
pcmom1
Yea! Dark table base will be great. And since you are planning someday for a new table if you DIY doesn't have to be perfect. Or, you could price check what a furniture refinisher would charge.

And I love a mixing up of chairs. It adds so much life! Check furniture consignment stores. They will often let you bring things home to try if you leave a deposit.

And light curly willow branches would stand out great against the walls.

But want to pass on my "no guilt for dead houseplants" hint. Think of plants as long lived flower arrangements! You can pick up good sized plants from Costco. Try your best. Don't overwater. Never let them stand in water. But, when they don't look so hot, change them out!

Oh, and to avoid hitting the corner of tables, place something on the floor at the ends: basket of magazines, plant, etc. Just anything to remind you not to get too close!
November 18, 2012 at 6:45PM     
Jenny Edwards
I do have Pier 1, and I love nature scenes, I will take a look.

For those interested in photos of the room from the other end...here are a few but don't be judgy! My house is in a bit of a shambles right now due to blinds being down, art and pictures down and stored on various surfaces. A bit of an explanation; when our kids got to be computer aged, we moved our desk and PC up to the main floor and this is where they do homework and go online. It's non-negotiable to have it in this public area for me. That being said, the desk has got to go, too much surface area makes it a clutter magnet. I am open to ideas of a new work station area. (Ikea opens in 10 days!!) To the right of the computer desk (to my back as I type now) is the living room with a sofa/love seat/coffee table and one too small rug. This is a post for another time, lol.

I also laughed at pcmom about the fridge stuff...I can't stop my kids from covering the thing with art and their various schedules and pizza lunch forms. As quickly as I can de-clutter it, along come 18 more things!

Thanks again for all the ideas, when I have time I'm going to go searching for some new treasures.
November 18, 2012 at 6:57PM   
Jenny Edwards
Oh, and drapes to go back up after Tuesday when I finish the window trim!
November 18, 2012 at 6:59PM   
Jenny Edwards
Anyone still with me?
November 20, 2012 at 2:44PM   
agarcia3201
Hi Jenny - I'll be excited to see pictures of your space once you've completed the changes. (I'm sure the others will too!) Its a beautiful room and love those windows!
November 20, 2012 at 2:58PM   
pcmom1
Definitely remember all those lunch menus, soccer schedules, etc.! Definitely like computer down where you can keep an eye on it. Is that a reading chair close for you?
November 20, 2012 at 3:27PM   
janishill
Jenny...it looks like you have been given a ton of ideas...but it doesn't look like you have followed any of the suggestions.

Paint the table legs and chairs a sagey green. Add some great panels to each end of the bank of windows. Add a table runner and a center piece. A large mirror on the back wall to reflect sunlight and brighten the space. Other art work. here and there. Find it a Pier One, Christmas Tree Shop or make your own! Here's a link to show you how to make a super cheap, but great piece of art: http://www.thisandthatcreative.com/2011/02/wall-art-from-paint-samples.html

Hope to see updates!
November 20, 2012 at 3:30PM     
Jenny Edwards
Janishill, it's only been a few days, I'm working on it! I'm only one woman...Thanks for the art suggestion, that's really creative, I like it
November 21, 2012 at 6:42PM     
janishill
My apologies. Your 'anyone still with me comment' is what prompted my comment. It takes time to put a room together.

I like it too! I think I may have to make my own version.
November 21, 2012 at 7:37PM   
PRO
Panshi Design
cool
November 21, 2012 at 7:43PM   
Arlen Dau
You may want to checkout FLOR tiles. I understand clean up is high on your list, but so is injecting some color. These carpet tiles are durable and can be arranged in almost any pattern. More important, there is a wide selection of colors and patterns. And if one is ruined somehow, just replace it. You can change the pattern any time. My daughter has had these for a few years now.
November 22, 2012 at 7:30PM   
takemethere
I'm no decorator, but I'm certainly a diy'er on a budget. My dear that is. LOVELY inspirational window. What I would do while deciding on paint colors for the table is move the desk against the brown wall (privacy for the studiers) and put the table center w the window. One reason being whoever is at the table is also apart of the living room, assuming that's what's to the right in the pic. I agree about putting the leaf in the table too, but if you don't have one that's fine. Sounds like your apprehensive about painting. This wknd I got a free table on Craigslist and chairs I got dirt cheap. If you look, people are selling full dining room sets for a fraction of what retailers do and the beauty of it is that if you hate it you didn't break the bank.
November 22, 2012 at 9:21PM     
Jenny Edwards
I like the FLOR tiles, but certainly breaks the bank in terms of my budget. People keep suggesting I move the table in front of the window, which would maybe work if there was not the issue of where the lights are - hiring an electrician to move the chandelier is also out of the budget. I sanded the top of the table, and put a stain on it, waiting to see how it looks dry and with another coat. I am going to paint the base brown/black, and maybe the chairs, or might paint them a "color".

And Craigslist in Canada, at least my part of it, stinks. There is just garbage like the stuff I want to get rid of. I've tried a few other used sites, but it's really hard to find stuff that people are not asking too much for. Or it's just plain ugly, which I've already got :)
November 22, 2012 at 10:10PM   
sondramartina
Jenny there is Kijiji site too,but I am pretty sure you know that. It is very slim chance to find something really good ,but it you find somethin you like you can always ask them to lower the price.Used furniture is not easy to sell and it depreciate in value.
November 23, 2012 at 4:09AM   
pcmom1
Does your area of Canada have any furniture consignments stores? Sometimes there are great finds there.
November 23, 2012 at 6:02PM   
Jenny Edwards
I think I would just rather buy something new, that I love, but I'm looking at a year or two of saving up and searching it out. If I'm going to have old, I'll stick with what I've got for now, it still functions
November 23, 2012 at 7:02PM     
PRO
GONZALO DE SALAS
The area is very busy, I would go for a light dining room table with a glass top. Every time the glass is thick enough it will be secure and resist the dayly use of your children. ( A 15 mm thick glass is good enough)
I would modernize the chairs as well.

Regarding the tables I am a sculptor and furniture designer so what can I do but invite you to see my tables. You can do it at www.gonzalodesalas.com

Most of them are very original designed tables with a glass top, but if you prefer the glass can be replaced with an oak wood top lacquered in a color that would fit.

Here are some pictures of suggestions.. but I have more.
November 24, 2012 at 2:07AM   
pcmom1
Good for you for holding out for what you love! Read a book once titled, "No Compromise Decorating", basically said it is that string of compromises that get us in trouble.

Just an aside: Pictures posted above of three tables (not your post), I like the third table. Never do glass with small kids: shows every finger print and every speck of dust!
November 24, 2012 at 8:28AM   
Jenny Edwards
The third one is very beautiful, I'm not a fan of glass tables, I don't need to see everyone's groin while I'm eating, it's weird. Plus the impractibility of it with kids, or anyone really, I don't like to wash my windows and mirrors, don't need anymore glass surfaces than I have!
November 24, 2012 at 11:49AM   
PRO
GONZALO DE SALAS
Well I placed the third picture of a table with a wood top to show you how my tables can look like with it. Initially that table is made with a glass top like the other ones, but it depends on the client’s likes and needs, so if possible, I adapt each table accordingly. There is no problem to replace a glass top by a wooden one.

What I meant is that you can choose any of my metal table feet designs, have it lacquered in the color you prefer, and have a wood top instead of the glass you might see on the pictures.

Anyway I have to say that there are pros and cons on any material. Glass table tops might seem no appropriate for children but I invite you to consider the following facts:

- Although glass gets dirty a lot easier, it can be cleaned a lot easier as well with any product, even plain water. At home I have two little kids one of 2 and another of 1 year old; they mess around a lot every day, especially in the coffee table. Is true that we clean it a couple times per day, but it is just a second and the table looks perfect afterwards. In the dining table the mess is a lot less aggressive though! We manage to keep it clean when we eat putting a table cloth :-)

- Liquids usually don't affect glass, not like wood which is very sensible to any liquid drops, and having kids it is something that happens constantly. Constant cleaning on wood will deteriorate the material within a certain period of time. Glass doesn't get affected al all.

- It is also true that with use an time you might get some scratches on the glass, but wouldn’t it happen equally in a wood top?? Glass is a lot harder than wood, so anything that will scratch a glass will do so on wood, probably making an even larger scratch.

With time you might get too many scratches, but replacing a glass top is something easy and affordable and you will have the table new again for years. Replacing a wood top usually means replacing the whole table because usually nobody sells wood tops separately ... ( .. I am an exception though... I do :-).

- People usually think that glass is dangerous with kids because it might break. Well, the truth is that it depends on the resistance of the glass used in the table. Glass can be extremely strong and safe. The glass tops I use in my tables are 15 mm thick which gives an enormous resistance to it. I've been 15 years making tables with glass tops and nobody has ever called with a broken glass. (I`ve made glass table tops of 12 x 5 feet, huge tables that last forever).
Thinner glass tops can be dangerous though, glass looses a lot of its structural resistance when it gets thinner. Therefore watch out in case you see tables like that.

- The only real concern on security you need to know when having a glass top of any kind and thickness is that it is sensible to high temperatures. Is the only thing that can break a large and thick piece of glass. Every time you put something hot on the table make sure to put something to protect it. Regarding this, there are no other concerns.

Anyway a table top is always a matter of tastes and sensations...so if you feel better with a wood top, don't hesitate and go for it!! A table might look great with it as you can see on the picture I posted!

ufff.. That was a long explanation! :-) Hope It helps!
November 25, 2012 at 3:28AM   
Jenny Edwards
Here is where I'm at so far...
December 10, 2012 at 5:54PM     
tennisanyone
Unbelievable transformation. I love what you did. You are the perfect example of painting old furniture and making it look new again. One more suggestion, move that plant somewhere else, it is taking away from the buffet table. Don't put anything else on that wall. Thanks for sharing the after picture.
December 10, 2012 at 6:07PM     
sondramartina
I love it,great! Did you hire someone to do it?
December 10, 2012 at 6:15PM   
Jenny Edwards
No...just me, with a little help from IKEA :)
December 10, 2012 at 7:00PM   
PRO
WOW! Jenny, it's looking great! Kudos to you. I agree with tennisanyone that the plant stand is cluttering that wall a bit. I don't think it's needed. Really nice job! :-)
December 10, 2012 at 7:09PM   
Jenny Edwards
I can move the plant, but I think the space will look bare...what should I do with the green wall space? That may help. Thanks again to everyone
December 10, 2012 at 7:14PM   
Darzy
Looks great Jenny! Painting the set dark did wonders! If you want a plant in the corner, how about a fern? that way, you won't see the bright white vase. I do what PCMOM said and treat plants like flowers! They last a lot longer than flowers and they eventually look scraggly but for a few months the fern looks fab!
December 10, 2012 at 7:21PM   
Jenny Edwards
I was going to put the pot on the floor and get a tall plant when I found one I liked, should I not bother?
December 10, 2012 at 7:29PM   
PRO
I actually wouldn't mind seeing the plant back on the console table! It might balance nicely with the lamp, both in shape and color. The other accessories look almost microscopic next to the tall lamp. I don't think it will be too bare. People have a tendency to feel like they have to fill every space. You want your eye to bounce around the space. If you have too much there, your eye doesn't know where to focus.
December 10, 2012 at 7:33PM   
tennisanyone
Remove the plant. It really does take away from what you did.
December 10, 2012 at 8:09PM   
Darzy
Also, the ikea lamp on the console doesn't work with your fab chandy. I'd put that in a bedroom or on the desk area.
December 10, 2012 at 8:23PM   
pcmom1
To fill up the corner where the plant was, I like a container with a few branches. Michaels has many to choose from (look for something tall, narrow in "copper"), add some weight to it with stones or sand, and then add some tall curly willow.

You have done a really great job!
December 11, 2012 at 10:08AM   
PRO
Amy O. Woodbury
how about a painting? check out my houzz page/project.
December 11, 2012 at 5:53PM