powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Very long and open living/dinning room area!!
Thais Fernandez
November 17, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Our house was built in the 1950's and has under gone a few renovations before we purchased. We have a very long living room as soon as you enter in the house. We want it to feel warm and cozy, and avoid a bowling alley feel. We are in the process of purchasing furniture, but are having trouble b/c we don't really know how to set the floor plan. Any ideas on layout would be helpful.

dimensions of the area are 11'4x 25'
wall where the entrance is 5'3 on the right 4,9 on the left
left wall where the hallway is 10'9 (hallway) 10'9 after that
far wall(s) 4'7 hallway to dining room is 6'1, then 2'6

also roof half of it is on exposed beams and the other is not.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi Thais! This is a great dilemma! I'm going to have to pull some other Houzzers that I know in here. They'll love it.

Couple of questions - are you painting the walls? Do you have it in your budget to take out at least some of the current floor (not that you need to, just wondering) or any other structural changes? The door is the front door? Do you have any other furniture, art or accessories currently that you would like to work into the room?

There's another discussion w/a house w/a similar floor and room. I'll try to find that again to see how the owner ended up there.

I'll be back!!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 3:50PM
pcmom1
First I'd create a foyer. You have a great coat rack to place to one side of the door. Add a nice rug for the door. Look at Ikea and Target websites for room dividers. I know that Ikea has a very cool 6 foot long screen you could place directly in front of "foyer" area. And Target has some great cubby sort of "walls". They say to attach these to the wall, but if you use commercial glue and attach to tile floor and only fill with light weight objects...

Then warm up the living room area with a very large rug. Perhaps in a long wool shag. Pull the sofa forward a least 3 feet towards the tv and be sure the front legs are on the rug. A large round rattan ottoman serving as a coffee table would also add warmth and give you a place to put your feet up!

In the corner behind sofa add a basket with tall branches. On the front door side of sofa put a floor lamp and a modern armless chair. Add large black and white photography (of bike wheels?) to the wall behind sofa.
2 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 4:19PM
PRO
The Virtual Designer- Kitchens & Bathrooms
Hello Thais- I agree with creating a foyer/entry way. This can be as simple or as structural as you like but in my designs (attached) I've illustrated a solid drywall with closet options. The first idea is to have a wall constructed which creates a nook for shelves with books or collectables on the other side. You could have a framed apeture in this wall to allow a continuous vision and also to let in some light. If you are thinking about putting in a heater or fireplace, the other side of the apeture could be the spot for it. A closet is also incorporated in option 1.
The second idea is to have a storage closet to the right as you come in through the front door with bi-folds. No aperture on option 2 as I imagine a large screen TV could be placed on this wall facing into the lounge.
Either way, create cosiness and warmth with lamps, floor rugs and throws.
I hope this is helpful-
The Virtual Designer
2 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 7:16PM
standinginline
To keep costs down, I would use 2 cubed shelving units (about 9 cubes each if space permits) (open...no back--to allow light to pass through) perpendicular to the longest walls a little forward from the door to create an "entryway"...new couch with right chaise exactly where your current couch is, and a smaller size comfy arm chair to the right of the tv. Add a cozy shag or deeper wool rug. Loose your current shelves around the tv. Bring in color with paintings and artwork, maybe a pop of color with the rug.
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 7:33PM
Thais Fernandez
Thank you everyone this has been helpful. Here are answers to few of the questions above.

Yes, we are repainting all the walls into shades of gray????????
We are open to changing the floor and some structural changes, but b/c the house is so old we are being very cautious b/c changes often come with unexpected cost.
We recently made a few purchased a couch at West Elm (Lomier sectional), along with a coffee and console table. Out side of the coat rack all other furniture is moving to my husbands "man cave".
Yes, that is the front door.

As soon as we get the furniture in I will upload some more photos.
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 1:26PM
PRO
Committed Photography, Inc.
I would recommend 3 art pieces in the portrait orientation. It will give more height to the room and take away from the length. Try this link. Everything on the site is customizable and can be shipped worldwide. Hope you enjoy!
http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/all/order/sold_0#colors=&page=1&categoryId=&orientation=1&collectionId=&order=sold_0&search=&tags=&ownerId=
0 Likes   December 8, 2012 at 8:23AM