Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Flooring dilemma!
emvictaylor
November 17, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are currently renovating our home in sydney and are going for a traditional American theme. Therefore I really want to use American Red Oak for the flooring but am unsure of how well it fairs in very hot temperatures and moisture in the rainy season. Does it have much movement/cupping/shrinkage etc? Any advice would be gratefully received! Sorry no photos yet, early days....
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Anne Gibney
You may want to try an engineered floor of hardwood because it floats on the sub floor or concrete and can be used in areas where the wood would expand. In extreme hot and humid weather if there is no air conditioning hardwood floors will expand, you may want a wood like acacia or bamboo, you can get a finish to mimic red oak. I would also use a dehumidifier if you do not have air conditioning especially in the rainy season.
November 17, 2012 at 11:25PM   
emvictaylor
thank you so much, great to get your feedback. Back to drawing board....
November 19, 2012 at 11:37PM   
olldroo
emvictaylor, I always find the best thing in this situation is go to as many stores as you can that sell timber flooring and talk to the staff there. The more people you talk to the more you will find the common thread to know what is reliable information. There is also a timber advisory service in Victoria you could contact. I know our humidity is oppressive, but I have never heard of it affecting timber flooring. I don't know the American Red Oak at all but generally oaks are very hardy, certainly our Tasmanian Oak is fantastic, I have never had a problem with mine.

The only downside I find to timber floors is the necessity to maintain and resurface them which can mean moving out of home for 3 or 4 days every two or three years, depending on the amount of traffic an area gets.

Have you looked at or considered laminate, I have just been looking at a brand called Quick Step, really beautiful and many different oaks although I can't find any mention to American Red, but it doesn't even look like a laminate.
November 20, 2012 at 3:12AM