Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
BIG AND PLAIN WALL!
bcortez82
November 17, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I need help! I don't know what to do with this big and plain wall. i guess im just looking for ideas on how to decorate it ? not sure if I should do picture frames, paintings....one or several. Open to all ideas and / or suggestions. This wall has looked like this for 5 years. I'm tired of looking at it!! Help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Anne Gibney
For such a big wall try and avoid small pictures unless you a ton of them. I think two or three large graphic wall art pieces would work. I like the font type or subway sign art. Is there a table behind the couch? It looks like you sofa is just floating in the room. I would also move the chair either beside the fireplace or to the other side of the room. Seems to block the flow in your room. If no dining table behind couch move couch back a few feet, place a sofa table behind it with some accent pieces to help add to your design. Have you thought about painting the chair orange like the wall? It would help to tie the two areas together.
2 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 11:37PM
bcortez82
I recently put that picture frame up on the wall because I was desperate for a change. I later realized that it doesn't help the wall in any way. I totally agree with the sofa table... I need one and have started shopping around for one.i was actually thinking of putting that chair in my daughters room and replacing it with an accent chair w/ orange color tones. I'm going to start looking for some graphic art for the wall . Thanks Anne for the suggestions....It helps me out a lot. :)
0 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 11:59PM
Sharon
What about wallpaper? It could add interest without your eye being drawn to one spot. Failing that, I'd say several large scale prints, a series perhaps?
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 3:26AM
tsudhonimh
That's a very awkward wall because the traffic from the front door passes along it and there's no room for shelves or a media center. And it looks unusually tall - 10 feet?

You can break it up with paint color:
1 - Paint the entry door niche the same orange as the wall with the curtains. Extend the color out until it's even with the currently orange wall. That will make the front door visually move forward into the orange wall's space.

2 - Lower the wall's visual height by wrapping the ceiling color down a couple of feet onto the wall.

But not both at the same time. That would look really strange.

Do it with art:
The wall is an example of "go big or go home" ... whatever art or decor you use there can't be timid or tiny, as you found out. It's a superb place for a gallery wall, a painted mural, or a large fabric something.

Wallpapering the whole wall would be a huge task. However, large panels of wallpaper or fabric, framed with molding, would provide some relief from the Great Wall effect. Then you can hang smaller prints if you want, in the "frames"
http://pinterest.com/pin/13581236346899657/ http://pinterest.com/pin/47217496063790819/
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 4:26AM
meaneeman
I think the way you have your furniture positioned is not helping and making the wall seem longer. Is that a sectional? You might want to go with a smaller couch and a couple of chairs.
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 5:50AM
pattihp
Add large, bold horizontal stripes in the colour of the back wall. It's difficult to tell from the picture but I would wrap the stripes from the back wall around the corner passed the doorway and then onto the wall in question. Perhaps 3 very large horizontal stripes. Inexpensive and effective. The muskoka chair seems to be the wrong scale, but again with angles, etc it's difficult to tell. It would be great to see your drapery panels in that chocolate that you have in the cushions and brought right up to the ceiling height. Good luck!!!
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 6:10AM
anitajoyce
You could turn the sofa so that the back of it is parallel to the Wall. This will help to define the space. Is that the front door by the yellow wall? if so , I would move the sofa. Adding a large picture of abstract art or a big flower picture would help. Or add a nice grouping of pictures. Move the chair and place it on the other side of the room. Can you post a full view of the room so we can see whats on the other side?
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 6:19AM
maureenindk
You need a very large piece of art there. Go buy a very large canvas at an art supply store, paint the background the orange color of the other wall and then start dribbling paint on the canvas to make your own custom painting. You could use left-over wall paint from that room or rooms that coordinate with your living room and pick up some additional colors getting those small paint samples from the paint store. Use a huge brush and make lots of big dribbles. It is completely easy and just takes a bit of time to let the dribbles dry in between. Use lots of paint and it will look great. Make it a family project (perhaps a few hand/foot prints from your child?) I also just bought a very large vintage advertising poster, framed and matted and got it on sale for about $250.00. It totally made the living room.
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 6:21AM
recyclefirst
How about including a mirror - the room looks narrow. It would help to see a full view of the room.
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 7:37AM
Eve Millington
Anne Gibney has it right. If you want to keep the small photos in the room, try hanging them closer to the entry where the space is more intimate. Then concentrate on a huge canvas for the wall. Go bold, have fun with it. Don't be too concerned about colour matching, that's not what art is about. It will really liven up the space! Buy a 3' by 3' or larger primed canvas and get adventurous. Use favourite photos or other art as inspiration and go for it!
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 8:21AM
Janis Pasiecnik
put a tall buffet table and a large mirror over it. a place to put keys and mail in the entrance way. the small picture you have on the other side is just that to small. try a nice big colorful picture or arrange family photos on that side
2 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 8:30AM
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 8:51AM
Sherry Liere
I believe a buffet or sofa table along with a large nicely framed picture would work well there along with your idea of a nice size chair at the end of the sofa if there's room.
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 9:20AM
westcoastsider
I saw an example of use of wide strips. Same color but one flat and one egg shell or semi gloss which would be simple to do yourself.
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 9:39AM
westcoastsider
I saw an example of use of wide strips. Same color but one flat and one egg shell or semi gloss which would be simple to do yourself.
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 9:39AM
westcoastsider
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 9:39AM
westcoastsider
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 9:39AM
Lynn
Frames and DIY shadow boxes mixed and staggered since it is a walk way
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 10:18AM
partyb16
I do like the idea of a mirror. You could put one of those very large leaning mirrors against the wall. Then possibly hang pictures on either side or even small wall shelves.
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 10:20AM
bcortez82
Tsudhonimh: I totally agree! I've always said that wall was awkward because it is where ppl pass through and there is no room for shelves or media. I have tried moving the couches around but it didn't work either. Im definitely going for the wall art. thanks! I will post another view of living room from a different angle.
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 1:44PM
bcortez82
Pattihp: I did see the stripes on the wall on Pinterest and loved the idea. I think that would definitely help this wall. Thanks
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 1:47PM
bcortez82
Here more views of living room with the wall
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 1:53PM
bcortez82
Another view. I'm definitely adding a sofa table behind the couch.
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 1:57PM
Kim D
furniture..., do you have a buffet or console table that is not to wide but kinda tall that could go there...ps I have almost the exact same artwork with the circles.
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 2:42PM
bcortez82
Rivers300: I just bought a console table earlier today. I'm actually putting it together right now. Will post pictures soon. Thanks!
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 2:54PM
tindygirl
Hi. I'd hang an oversized mirror on that wall, a narrow console table behind the couch with two matching table lamps and get new curtains that are more substantial...maybe even layer with roll up bamboo blinds to add texture. Also, if this room is on the first floor, I'd hire an electrician to add a light socket in the floor under the couch so you can plug in the lamps. It's less expensive than you might think!
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 4:01PM
tindygirl
Actually, it would be better to lean an oversized mirror rather than hang one!
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 4:04PM
Kim D
Great, I'll check back for updates on the console table. I think its going to look great.
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 5:03PM
kittytadams
The circles don't appear to be to scale.. and are hung high. something larger on wall behind couch might work better. Also a wood frame around the TV might make it look more substantial as well. maybe paint it orange??? White??
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 4:52AM
Kim D
Once you get the console table together place the circles over the table. I will try to send you a pic of my console table and circles later.
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 5:37AM
tennisanyone
I think the problem is the furniture arrangement. I would put the big sofa on the big wall and remove that chair out of the room. Putting the sofa there will balance out the big arches and I would take the tv off the mantel, looks too high and put in on the wall across from the sofa with an entertainment unit underneath and that other couch, I would put it where the big sofa is. Then I would worry about what to put on the walls.
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 6:10AM
kittytadams
I agree, tv over fireplace looks strange with the two arches...somthing small there with mantle decorated would be better and tv on wall across from couch is good...like that idea.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 3:57AM
kittytadams
Hang circles over fireplace???
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 3:58AM