Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Should I have the built-in storage on this wall? Or the screen? Please help
housewife2012
November 18, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi,

Between our dining and living areas, we have this corner jutted out with glass wall from floor to ceiling. I thought I could use a floor to ceiling built-in storage along the wall to the right of the dinning area (black rectangle) but I am worried that it is going to block some light there. The storage is simple as the one behind the sofa in the photo attached:

living room

My second question is: Should I have some sort of thin shelves/decorative screen there (the black line perpendicular to the wall) to define the areas? The show unit has the decorative floor-to-ceiling screen on both sides (about 3-4 feet long only) to mark the areas.

Schwartz and Architecture

Litlle Rock

Please all designer out there, should I have them built, either of them, together or none at all?

Thank you very much for your help.

Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Kaplan Architects, AIA
It's difficult to be conclusive about the storage wall. I don't like the idea of blocking the light, but it could be okay if there is plenty of light coming in from elsewhere. One could have the storage wall be held down from the ceiling a distance of a foot or two to let in some light. It would really help if we had pictures of the existing space. Also, it would be good to see more about what is to the right of the dinning room. If I understand your idea of the thin shelves, I think it would be odd to place them as you have shown. They would create this odd blocked off space in the corner. Again, having pictures of the existing space would be helpful.
November 18, 2012 at 8:17AM   
housewife2012
Thank you for your comment. Beside light from this glass corner, I have only the light in from the balcony and the back wall next to it. It's glass from floor to ceiling. The apartment is in Vietnam so I am quite nervous to think about so much weight hanging from the ceiling as the workmanship here is not quite what it should be. What I means for screen or shelves is some sort of carved lattice screen. Currently it's an empty wall to the right of the dining area.

I am attaching a panorama picture of the dining and living areas. It's kind of distort (curved walls due to the panorama view) if you see it as a whole by putting the cursor on it. The corner is the light box on the right. Thank you.
November 18, 2012 at 9:06AM   
PRO
Monique Jacqueline Design
Still not completely feeling it. I am liking the first photo above where the storage is not connected at the ceiling, this allows light pass through. The one photo just posted is your actually space. Do you have any more photos that can be attached. It sounds as though you have two areas that are in question.
Cheers!
m.
November 18, 2012 at 9:16AM   
housewife2012
I am traveling at the moment but will be home in a week or so and will post more pics. Thank you.
November 18, 2012 at 9:23AM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
The vertical bookshelf unit, shown above, in the medium dark wood is attractive, and it allows a substantial amount of light to flow thru it. However, if you have enough storage without it, I would not install it as it. I would prefer a more open look.
November 18, 2012 at 10:03AM   
housewife2012
Thank you for your comments. My idea of a screen to defy spaces is something like the one behind the sofa in this photo which allows light go through almost totally.

No storage along the wall on the right of the dining area anyone??? Thanks.
November 18, 2012 at 10:05AM   
PRO
A screen to define the different spaces, such as you show above, would be great, tho I'd go for a darker color.
November 18, 2012 at 10:47AM   
PRO
Dytecture
I personally like to have a built in niche so it's flexible as far as what you want to put in there.

November 18, 2012 at 11:11AM   
housewife2012
I always prefer built-ins too. However, would you do it if it blocks a bit of light? I certainly will do it if the light doesn't get effected.
November 20, 2012 at 3:56AM   
housewife2012
Thank you all for your comments. I just checked the unit and realized the plan was not correct. The glass corner has already about 40cm of wall projecting out where I intended to put the storage unit and putting more there would block a lot of light. I am not going to do it.
November 26, 2012 at 8:19AM   
More Discussions
Glass Coffee Table - but want ottoman for comfort!
I love the look of low level glass coffee tables (like...
New Modern Bathroom - Towel advice?
We just completed our remodel on a modern, masculine...
chandelier
which room should have a fancier chandelier? the living...
Family room needs help
Not sure if coffee table suits the room. Looking for...
To Basket or Not
We've got a kitchen that I love & a small collection...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.