powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Where to keep cat's litter box in a house without a basement?
orangecamera
November 18, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I don't have an obvious place for the litter box in my new small home with no basement. I just have one cat, who doesn't go outside.

All I can think of is the bathroom. Other suggestions please?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lori
do you have a corner you could put decorative screen in and hide it behind that?
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 6:44AM
feeny
Most cat owners in apartments find the most logical place to be the bathroom, so I think your first idea is the most sensible. Or if you have a ground floor laundry room, that would make sense too.
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 7:05AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Laundry or mudroom.
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 7:40AM
orangecamera
Looks like it will be Ms. Kitty, in the bathroom, with a screen (not the conservatory with a candlestick!) Thanks everyone :)
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 7:45AM
creeser
Look online, they make cat little box covers that look like a wicker chest. Opens on the side for kitty convenience.
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 7:50AM
orangecamera
creeser, I'd never seen those before. That's a definite possibility. Thanks.
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 7:58AM
creeser
Do a search under Amazon. Here's some. My daughter uses the larger one for her cats.
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 8:03AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Cool cat creations!
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 8:04AM
creeser
Ferocious feline facilities!
2 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 8:04AM
PRO
Monique Jacqueline Design
I agree, bathroom or laundry area.
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 8:05AM
orangecamera
Hm, my bathrooms are tiny...I wonder if I could cut a hole into the side of the vanity and stick the litter box in there. Thoughts???
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 2:06PM
dcer
I put mine in the storage room. Only I go in there, anyway! :)
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 2:10PM
judianna20
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3414&cmpid=02csegpl&ref=6111&subref=AA&CAWEL This looks as if it could fit into a cab. I don't know if you will turn your nose up at this suggestion, but a friend keeps it in her tub, curtain partially closed. Makes it very easy to clean and keeps the litter contained. Of course, she is meticulous about the tub and never sits in it. The things we do for our pets. My husband built a pen under our deck, about 14 x 18, dragged in a fallen tree, built a sandbox which he filled with bags of playbox sand he bought at Toys R Us and put a pet door in the basement window. And he says he doesn't like cats :>)

My experience is kitties that are altered don't have the same stinky stuff going on.
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 2:19PM
pcmom1
Mine fits inside a bathtub I don't use! It is covered up with a basket top. Out of the way but easy to access!
2 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 3:15PM
orangecamera
Ooooh, tub sounds good too. I will have a bathtub that will almost never be used by a human anyway. I'm so glad I asked this question!
2 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 10:50PM
pcmom1
Yes, and the tub is waterproof and easy to clean!
2 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 8:44AM
nasmijati
And to add to the ease, get flushable cat litter! WheatScoop brand. Sift and flush!
3 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 7:43PM
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
Training the cat to use the toilet is an option. Mine does. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cat+uses+toilet&qpvt=cat+uses+toilet&FORM=IGRE
From a design in solution I generally do a waist high drip sink next to the washer and dryer so you can put something in permanently, but not get too specialized to exclude non cat owners. By using a hand shower valve set and shower this becomes a handy pet cleaning station if not used for a litter box. I particularly like not having to bend over to clean it. An old cat might need a step.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 6:48AM
judianna20
My tenant's cat used the toilet and also flushed! I didn't believe it until I saw with my own eyes.
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 8:49AM
pcmom1
Please post a training video to You Tube!
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 8:53AM
feeny
Believe it or not, there are quite a few instructional youtube videos on this subject. Here's one of them:
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 9:06AM
PRO
I started mine when a kitten using an unused toilet in a 1/2 bath, I do like the whole cut toiet seat so long as the male children do not take this as a targeting challenge.
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 10:15AM
creeser
Son-in-law tried this with their cats. My daughter was wise enough to stay out of it. Just confused the heck out of the cats and they started going to the bathroom in the middle of the beds. Took them weeks after putting the litter back out and keeping the bedroom doors shut at all times to get them to use the litter pan again. Just keep in mind the risks if you decide to go the potty training route.
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 10:29AM
PRO
I agree, but for new construction you could design in a kids size toilet which is lower and wouldn't cause as much clean up. It fit over an standard toilet drain.
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 10:35AM
orangecamera
I would love to train my cat to use the toilet. Since it will be a new home for her it might be easier to just start with the bowl in the toilet from day 1. It will be a while before the house is ready for us to move, but I'll come back and update in a few months. Thank you to all who suggested it.
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 11:30AM
juliemfarrar
We have 2 kitties and visitors always say they are amazed our home doesn't have that "smell". I must admit I am a bit of a clean freak, but we keep our litter box in one of our bathtubs on a bath mat. Even our 6 year old can lift the box out to use the tub if need be. They litter stays contained, can be easily swept up with a little hand broom from a dollar store, and then we can always "soak" the tub with a little soapy hot water and bleach. If concerned about access, you could always put a little kitty door in the door to the bathroom. Heck, you can even keep the exhaust fan on if you would like, lol.
2 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 11:47AM
victorianbungalowranch
Sometimes you have to adjust to the cat. Our cat hides under the furniture and doesn't dare make a dash for it when other people are in the house. So the litterbox is behind a screen behind the TV set with a secondary in the bathroom. It is covered and you just rotate and pull out a drawer to clean--very convenient. He will only drink water near there, not by his food bowl too. He can creep out unoticed to do what he needs and it is open enough so he doesn't feel trapped. Hated under the sink and by the laundry--too boxed in and too noisy.

Not my first pick, but better than having a cat that is too scared to use the box, or starts to use the plants LOL.
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 12:27PM
feeny
victorianbungalowranch, that's hilarious. Who would ever have thought of an emergency litter box behind the television? (And how oddly appropriate for so much of what is broadcast!) Your kitty sounds like quite a character.
1 Like   November 25, 2012 at 12:31PM
More Discussions
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
New living room
These are pictures of my new living room. I'd like...
Mid Century Modern Ranch Exterior Paint Questions
We recently purchased this mid century modern ranch....
New Bathroom
We are building a new house and I am deciding what...
What would you do on this wall?
Need wall opinions. Rest of room looking good, not...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.