powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Which backsplash goes well with my granite?
corina313
November 18, 2012 in Polls
I'm getting maple shaker style cabinets in a medium brown..this is the granite that's going on. I need help on the backsplash, I really like the sleek horizontal look but not sure on the color.. My favorite right now is A but not sure if it would look good.
A
D
B
C
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aggie Purvinska
Consider the stacked look, but with much less color variation. These backsplashes can get busy very quickly, although they are very beautiful...

[houzz=
]
November 18, 2012 at 1:04PM     
sharleeg
your granite has so much movement that I would also suggest a more monochromatic splash. I don't think you are like the business of any of those after all the $ spent. Best of luck!
November 18, 2012 at 1:14PM     
feeny
I'm afraid I agree that they are all much too busy for your granite. You should let that beautiful granite take center stage and not have to compete with such high contrast backsplashes. Pick something simple, either a very low contrast mix of tile shades or one consistent color taken from the lighter background colors in your granite.
November 18, 2012 at 1:18PM     
corina313
Would something like this look better?
November 18, 2012 at 1:26PM   
feeny
I'd have to see the exact tones of the lighter one on the right next to the granite, but that one is closer (in terms of low contrast) to what I was thinking of. It might, however, be a bit too white (whereas your granite is warmer in tone) The one on the left is still too high contrast, IMO.
November 18, 2012 at 1:31PM     
sharleeg
still too much pattern, try to find one is more solid one color, say one of the beiges or brown in the stone and could just have accents of other brown tones or copper for instance. Stay in the " warm" family" so creamier colors, not the grays ( though gray could be an accent in it, as there is some gray in your stone.) Does that help?
November 18, 2012 at 1:46PM   
corina313
@sharleeg I actually really like the backsplash u showed me but in a cream color I'm trying o look for some online but I can't find none..any good websites or what's the name of it?
November 18, 2012 at 1:53PM   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I agree as well. A simpler look would be the better choice. The first picture shows the effect you are looking at which does look very busy. I was thinking something more like the second picture but in a lighter color that matches the overall color of the countertop.
November 18, 2012 at 1:57PM     
feeny
These may not be quite the right shades, but this gives you the general idea of what I am imagining with your granite. Lighter and creamier would be better, but it's the low contrast (or even solid color) that would look best, I feel.
Glace Glass Tile - Ann Sacks Tile & Stone
Contemporary Kitchen Tile
November 18, 2012 at 1:58PM     
corina313
Sorry that last comment was for aggiedesign.
November 18, 2012 at 2:00PM   
cesullie22
Daltile or arizona tile will both have a good selection.
I agree that your first chioces are too busy for the granite
I almost made the same mistake in my bathroom- the multi- color mosaics are beautiful, but u have to consider the "whole picture"
November 18, 2012 at 2:15PM   
sharleeg
Corina, at the top of this page, choose the "products" category, type in tile , backsplash tile, etc or the one Aggie showed you ," Artistic Tile." It will show you some pics of tiles , choose one and then you can go directly to the website. There are so many options for tile.Just make sure the color is very basic, one of the shades in your stone. There are lots of interesting patterns though, so it can still look very modern and not at all boring. Good luck.
November 18, 2012 at 2:19PM   
corina313
@feeny I just seen that same one but in trying to find the same thing in a shade darker. @ sharleeg thanks I'm going to try it right now.
November 18, 2012 at 2:20PM     
November 18, 2012 at 2:35PM     
Aggie Purvinska
But I think, if you like the busy back splashes, and they really are a lot of fun, why not go with a simple quartz counter top, like "Baja" from Caesarstone, for example, and do one of the back splashes you initially picked. That way you will have the simplicity of a shaker cabinet with an understated counter top, and a really awesome eye catching back splash. There may be a Caesar stone Equivalent in a lower price range counter top world, too..
November 18, 2012 at 2:51PM     
corina313
@aggiedeign I purchased those already..o I'm stuck with them..I do like the busy backlash but I think I have to tone it down.
November 18, 2012 at 2:54PM   
November 18, 2012 at 3:03PM   
feeny
Don't feel stuck. Your granite is beautiful!
November 18, 2012 at 3:04PM     
judianna20
Your granite is similar to mine. I chose an off-white subway tile (matte) that has the appearance of being hand cast. I was so glad I went with that because the granite was much busier when installed and much shinier.

November 18, 2012 at 3:13PM     
corina313
I like the busy tile but I'm trying to tone it down a bit I purchased the first picture today but its not a for sure.. Then I also like the second picture I just ordered a sample today lets see how that goes.
November 18, 2012 at 10:37PM   
feeny
I think you'll find the first one is still much too high contrast (and thus too busy), but either the second or a simple subway tile (if you want a more classic look) should work well with your granite. Best of luck!
November 19, 2012 at 4:17AM     
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi corina313!
One thing you should keep in mind when selecting your backsplash is whether or not your overall color scheme uses warm or cool colors. Mixing the two can create a look that comes off a bit messy. A subway tile in a warm shade of off white would look very nice and clean, and allow the granite to really be the star of the decor. However, you can easily do a mosaic with different colors, as long as it's not too overpowering and complements the granite. Our designers specialize in matching glass tile mosaic backsplashes to specific granites, so if you would like any expert help or advice, feel free to reach out!
November 19, 2012 at 8:04AM   
Michele Leal
I agree with the first picture from corina313
November 19, 2012 at 8:12AM   
woots
If you like the movement in the granite, continue it up the wall in the backsplash. Have you thought of back painted glass in one of the colors in your granite? I think you'll like it longer if you stick with a monochrome.
November 19, 2012 at 8:13AM   
7215o4
I would use the same mosaic glass match or the granite itself
November 19, 2012 at 8:16AM   
corina313
Ya I know it looks busy, but I feel like it goes good..I'm still going to shop a lil more before making my final decision..thank you all so much.
November 19, 2012 at 9:57AM   
nevadan
None of the above. Your backspash should be of the same granite, or else something very plain in color and texture that picks up a color from you granite. The exception would be in a VERYlarge kitchen.
November 19, 2012 at 10:26AM   
nevadan
None of the above. Your backspash should be of the same granite, or else something very plain in color and texture that picks up a color from you granite. The exception would be in a VERYlarge kitchen.
November 19, 2012 at 10:27AM   
ldilegge
If you really want some glass tile in your back splash, you could use subway tiles in a neutral to match your granite and insert a line of glass tiles in the middle. Gives you that splash of shine you may be looking for.
November 19, 2012 at 10:47AM   
benniebonita
To busy .try having another look unless you love it then just go for it : )
November 19, 2012 at 12:47PM   
More Discussions
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
Fireplace above the fireplace, I lost the battle.
I have no good spot to put a large tv in my family...
Need help finding curtain rods for a 220" window wall
There is a French door in the middle. I want no interruptions...
Empty corner
Help! Looking for something to fill this empty space....
Counter tops for a lake house? Any ideas?
We are about to install a new kitchen for a client...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.