Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Exterior 1910 House
lindamarie1
November 18, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I posted this house a couple of months ago and thought I would ask for your assistance once again. All of the brown trim (and the for sale sign) was the house at time of purchase. The slate roof is complicating matters as far as a cohesive color scheme, to me anyway. The roof from the 2nd floor up is nice, mostly grays with some red similar to the brick on foundation and chimney. However, the roof from the 2nd floor down has green in the slate along with grays and reds. The siding is a soft banana cream color and, considering the age of it looks remarkable so of course we do not wish to replace it. Along with the new white cornice wrap we've installed, we painted the shingles up toward the eaves, on each side of the property, BM Dolphin which goes darker on the cloudy days and much lighter on sunnier days. To my eye, the house isn't flowing and would love some input. There remains some brown on the porch railing which will be painted this week along with some foundation plantings that help to detract from the red foundation.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
apple_pie_order
What is your question?
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 3:24PM
lindamarie1
What are the thoughts regarding the color flow and, how could it be improved upon. What considerations should be given to painting the foundation or, leaving it as is.
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 3:33PM
apple_pie_order
The white, pale yellow/cream and gray work well together with the roof. If you don't paint the brick, you won't have to keep repainting it. Painted brick takes maintenance forever. Now's the time to move along to the landscaping or interior. It looks great. How about climbing roses along the porch?
3 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 3:56PM
jwublu
The second floor balcony is heavy makes the front of the house look closed in. Would it be possible to replace it with white spindles that tie in with the bottom balcony? It would also bring more light into your beautiful home. I think that would be all you would need to do.
9 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 4:02PM
lindamarie1
We did consider opening the top floor balcony but decided to keep it original. From inside the space, it actually has a bright and open feel to it. We painted the majority of the inside SW Anew Gray which looks good. The plan was to finish the original hardwood with a walnut stain, however, I'm leaning toward a bit of a lighter option at this point after seeing the walls painted. It isn't a big house and I do not want to close it up, but keep it breathable and as spacious as possible. All the tedious and time consuming changes are done; starting trim tomorrow with tile, cabinets, etc. to follow. This is when very expensive mistakes can be made, ugh.
Thank you all..........
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 4:23PM
cyn222
pic
4 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 11:57PM
PRO
K.O.H. Construction Corporation
Your home has great features and architecture. The brick and roof are appropriate for the style and age of the house. The siding is wrong and throwing things off. I never seen a house this age with lap siding that big. It does not work nor does the cross buck screen door. Sorry, but you need to look into residing the house.
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 4:52AM
lindamarie1
We are selecting exterior light fixtures and need help deciding on a front door color as well. I'm wondering about trying to pull in the red brick color somehow in a very subtle way, what do you all think?
We may have a buyer but the wife has no visualization ability so they're waiting for us to get our finishes in place.

Thank you!
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 6:19AM
apple_pie_order
I didn't realize you were selling, I thought you were buying. Leave the door white with a fresh coat of paint. I think the screen door is just fine, but probably needs paint, too. For the light fixtures, it'd look cohesive if you choose the same finishes that are on the door hardware. A back door light fixture can be from the same suite of fixtures, good for consistency in style. Touch up the paint on the metal railing, too. Don't overthink this: fresh paint, new light fixtures and well-trimmed landscaping will go a long way.
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 6:32AM
lindamarie1
Thanks apple pie!
The screen door is already gone, one of the first things to get taken
off. We could use landscaping suggestions too....
It's not a big area but, needs to have big impact. We are trying to get put in next week as the weather is going to be warmer. Have had a couple of recent freezes so we are trying to beat the start of winter and we are pushing it...thanks again.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 7:14AM
apple_pie_order
If you post a few new photos showing the landscape from a couple angles, the whole front of the house and the front door area, you may get more suggestions from readers, especially if you start a new thread with new title such as "Please suggest landscape ideas for selling 1910 house" and give a budget such as $500 or $1000 and a timeframe such as "in the next two weekends". That'll stave off the $30,000 suggestions which can be lovely but perhaps not practical for this house.

If it is going to freeze soon, you may not be able to plant with any expectation that expensive large landscape plants will survive. Mow, trim and edge in the meantime. The grass will probably go dormant soon.
2 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 7:23AM
lindamarie1
The two angles posted above are the areas being landscaped, framing the porch on two sides.
To the left if the porch is driveway.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 7:37AM
TanCalGal
Can't see where the lights are on your house. Sometimes a type of hanging light is nice over the door. Some lighting companies specialize in c1910 lighting (photo) Circa 1910 Outdoor Wall Lantern by Troy Lighting

I like the white front door, too, as has been said. I wonder if the green in the slate roof is telling us to repeat the green somewhere on the house, to tie it all in? I wouldn't try to match the red brick at the door, using the complement of red (green) might work. Here's a pretty green door, for instance (photo) Front Elevation Surfers End

Cyn222's landscape plan I think, would look good with shrubs that grow in your area. Here, they are using India Hawthorne and clumps of 3-5 Society Garlic. Maybe the center shrub can be saved? Down the side choose all the same shrubs - Pittosporum, they'd use here.
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 6:14AM
lindamarie1
Thank you all for the great suggestions and, I like the green door idea. Here are a few photos we took this morning, as you can see all of the prior shrubs are gone now. We have a $500 budget and need to get it in over the next two weeks, and, we are in zone 7. The lawn is very irregular and raised along the right side of the property (your right when viewing) so it needs grading and topsoil then I guess we can throw down some rye seed if it's not too late in the season. It's been getting in to the 20's at night already so I'm afraid our choices are narrowing quickly.

I will attach a photo later of the porch lights my husband picked out. Our selection's back plate measurements must be such that the fixture will lie flat upon the existing siding and, we found that this caused us to have to eliminate many terrific choices.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 12:11PM
lindamarie1
Cyn222,
I just saw the plan you posted, it's terrific........ I was away for Thanksgiving so I haven't checked in until today, wow. Thank you!
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 12:15PM
lindamarie1
cyn222,
Are the Indian Hawthorne's the plants along the walkway in front of the pittosporum in the corner? Are the red flowering plants the garlic and, what is the conical evergreen?

Is there a way to "forward" the photo you posted above?

Thank you so much!
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 12:50PM
TanCalGal
Your house looks beautiful! Congrats! Great job...I love it.

The brick foundation & stairs is one of the best features of your house, I would not hide brick with tall shrubs.
Along the narrow driveway, left side facing, I'd put down weed cloth (Home Depot) and Large Mexican River Smooth Stones (photo)

In small foundation +stair area on left facing side of house 3 white flowering azalea in wood chips (in a triangle pattern. One against foundation and others in front on each side). Do the same with 3 azaleas on the other side of steps.
All across the right of house as foundation plantings: the same white azalea (probably 5-7 or 7-9), in wood chips. On right facing lawn, in center, I'd plant a red Japanese maple or smallish flowering tree.

I don't think I'd plant anything on facing right side. You have drainage stones on that side. If you were going to stay I might have a few suggestions, but I'm sure you do not want to go to a lot of work at this point. But you could plant India Hawthorne all along or something similar for your area.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 1:21PM
apple_pie_order
The house looks great. Try adding a pair of pines in red pots, the kind sold as living Christmas trees, at the top of the steps. Add solar lights for no-fuss lighting: http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Solar-3732WR30-String-Crystal/dp/B003BE83LU
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 1:45PM
victorianbungalowranch
The brick was repointed and the mortar is too bright. Staining it might help. It should all look like what it is on the left of the steps.

Vinyl siding can be painted. I think painting the dormer might help. If you put green on the door, then maybe a rusty red brown/tile red on the dormer would help tie the parts together. A greenish grey (if that is what is on the side) might work too. Painting the angle brackets the red color would help too, and a darker gray like what is on the side, could work on the porch floor.

Beside the siding width, the window casings are too narrow. Shingles on top and narrow lap siding on bottom were common for this sort of house, with a beltline between floors. Perhaps finding pictures of what it could look like someday with new siding would help.

Dark trim was typical and ranged in tones, but a warm rusty red brown was typical--bit warmer than walnut, more like mahogony. Or more like pecan, with yellowish or greenish undertones, sometimes ashy or smoky if you have quartersawn oak. What is it now and what do the possible new owners think about it? Mid-range amber shellac floors were common.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 2:01PM
lindamarie1
We took all the brown trim off, it was really awful and had the cornice wrapped in the white, the perspective buyers and the agent who works this neighborhood like it. I see what you're saying about the brick/mortar but, you've lost me on the dormer? You're suggesting we paint it so it looks similar to what it did prior to removing the brown? The shingles are painted Dolphin by SW I believe. The brick hasn't been painted but the front steps are newer, not sure when the former owners put the siding on or, when they added the steps. The house was in good condition structurally but, was not taken care of aesthetically, Wallpaper "everywhere" even on the ceilings, ugh....
We are going to attempt to refinish the existing hardwood floors with the exception of the 3rd floor as it's in bad shape so carpet it is for that space. The inside in painted Anew Gray by BM or SW (can never remember). I like the Dolphin color idea for the wood front porch, I think that would be good. We aren't going to paint the siding or reside it unless we can't sell it due to this which I do not think will happen. Where do you see angle brackets that need painting?

Thank you for your suggestions, I appreciate them.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 4:26PM
victorianbungalowranch
No, don't paint the facia (the wrap along the rooflines), I am talking about painting the dormer itself. Two tone color schemes with various accents (up to 6 colors!) was really common for this type of house. But the colors have to relate for it to look right.

I was suggesting painting the front and sides of the dormer only--I experimented in Photoshop and I think a medium olive type green would be best. The same (or a slightly lighter version since it is in shadow) color on the door, plus darker trim on the baseboard of the porch, is enough to unify the facade I think. Maybe leave the porch paint as it is and put the gray on the baseboard and maybe by the sidelights or top of the rail, or use the olive. I posted a few variations--you will have to blow them up to see the difference probably.

The actual effect will be a little different,(and the Olive in Photoshop looks much brighter and lighter on my screen than here) and you have to post pics of the door to try paint combinations for that.

I tried sage green, but the olive helps bring the red brick, yellow siding, slate roof and such together better because it has more yellow in it. I would try a few samples on posterboard to find the right color, and compare door color under the porch with the color in the light under the porch deck. The difference might be nice or you might want to go slightly lighter on the door.

This is rather long, but explains some of the finer points and my thinking process:

I couldn't see the picture very well, but I looked again and the sides of the dorm and the side gables have gray vinyl shingles on them, but the front is kind of yellow--is that the same color as the body of the house? The color of the dormer looks a little off to me anyway, like it is a little rusty or something--could have been from the brown facia trim.

The brackets are under the gables on the sides of the building, and you have small stub brackets in the porch area. They were often painted a contrasting color. My neighbor has the same brackets on a house wiith a similar color scheme and the brackets, the storm door and some of the sills and trim are painted rusty red brown type color and it looks great. Are you replacing the storm door? If so, that may be an option for you as well. Or paint just some of the narrow trim on the sidelights and front door.

But when I worked with it in Photoshop, I think it could look nice, but isn't required to unify the building.

The grey or the existing porch color (rather like it actually) could be extended all the way down over the base trim, or mask the top inch off to mask any waviness in the porch floor and to make it look more substantial.

A subtle red accent could go on the inside trim of the porch ceiling. Craftsman strapping painted onto the pillars in the red could look pretty sharp too. Could be nice, but again, maybe not required.

When I worked with it in Photoshop, I did like the dark brown color of the porch extended down to the base molding much better. It really helps to ground the building to the brick and make it look more unified and makes the collumns pop more. I also liked the darker handrail, but it looks good light too. I know you just painted that! Another option is the olive color from the dormer.

Is the siding on the upstairs porch the same as the dormer and body of the house. It looks slightly different to me. I wish you could have restored the spindles up there as well, that would have really help make the colors and awkwardness receed. I also see a bit of discolored siding in the back.

Any siding that doesn't match the main siding could be cleaned, primed and painted to blend in. You can color-match the old siding if you can remove a small piece of it--perhaps in the back . Any stored siding won't match because it hasn't faded. It might take some trial and error to get the color right though.

Other fixes:

You might try power washing the slate on the first floor roof. It looks discolored. Staining the brick mortar where it was repointed is a fussy job, but it would look dramatically better, esp. on the main house.
http://www.ehow.com/how_6364482_stain-masonry-brick-joints.html

If you have the budget, a porch swing would be a nice thng for the front porch, and they don't cost that much--might even be able to get one on clearance now. Instant nostalgia for the good ole days and leisurely evenings. Even if it isn't used much, it makes the house feel welcoming. Or some nice chairs set there with some color pillows could look nice.

I think it is too late to plant, but some urns with evergreens and tree branches could look nice by the steps, and could last all winter. .
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 8:53AM
reginacpa
Our 1908 is Yellow with white trim...dark green shutters and awnings to tie it all in. Love yellow on these houses. Try an oxygen bleach on the slate roof (if you can get to it)...we have a metal roof that I hope lasts for a lifetime! We just bought it and are getting ready to work on the yard...its full of great plants but has been left on its own for over a year. (And that is the PREVIOUS owners Mike the Tiger on the carport...no blow-ups in our yard or on our house...)
2 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 2:58PM
PRO
Kathryn Tegreene
I didn't read all of what you said, but if you are selling, I wouldn't go to the expense. If you just bought, I would paint your house charcoal grey, with trim white and black accents. Keep your brick and paint your door Benjamin Moore Cottage red to reference the steps and the foundation or black for contrast. This color scheme will give your home an updated cottage look. The white trim does wonders and the dark grey will give it some serious pop, but nor garish. Paint your roof supports black. Good luck.
1 Like   December 1, 2012 at 4:00PM
PRO
Kathryn Tegreene
I didn't read all of what you said, but if you are selling, I wouldn't go to the expense. If you just bought, I would paint your house charcoal grey, with trim white and black accents. Keep your brick and paint your door Benjamin Moore Cottage red to reference the steps and the foundation or black for contrast. This color scheme will give your home an updated cottage look. The white trim does wonders and the dark grey will give it some serious pop, but nor garish. Paint your roof supports black. Good luck.
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 4:00PM
victorianbungalowranch
Very cute Regina. I'm quite sure that the fretwork is a later addition and doesn't fit the house, and so are the railings by the front door. Remove those things and if you want to dress up the porch a bit, you can get a porch valance to match the awnings.

Rather unusual to have so many on one house--is too much sun an issue there?
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 4:18PM
jewelrymakermel
To me the house looks top heavy. I like the suggestion of the spindles on the top or you could close the bottom, but the weight of the house needs to be evened out.. white, broader railings down the front would help to make the bottom look more substantial under the top portion and give it more of a craftsman style look.. more white trim to make it look more inviting.
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 5:21PM
lindamarie1
I'm a little bit overwhelmed now.......are you looking at the most recent photos, no brown any longer, all white trim.
First, the shingles on the side are Dolphin by Benjamin Moore. Are you suggesting using this on the porch and bring it down enough for the eye to be able to incorporate it into the overall color scheme?
Paint the brackets this color or, a red tile/brick..... color like the one we've removed. Are you suggesting we stain "all" of the brick mortar or, just that of the steps? The house must flow from exterior to interior and the inside is now painted Anew Gray by Sherwin Williams. I know the house could use more than we want to get into but that's how budgets work. The enclosed porch would be a pandora's box so we just have to stay away from it. Maybe doing something on the lower porch would be more feasible without closing it in. The siding that the prior owners put on is not right for the period but it is in good condition so we decided not to paint it. I think the landscaping will help with curb appeal however, I do also feel that a third color will help bring it together.
The 1908 is very nice!
Thanks again.........
1 Like   December 1, 2012 at 6:48PM
lindamarie1
Regina,
Is the railing cap green or another color?
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 6:53PM
reginacpa
Yes Linda Marie it is green to match the shutters. Love your house!
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 8:47PM
reginacpa
And...don't know where you live but down here in the hot south a screened sleeping porch with hanging beds was in all of these foursquare homes and an incredible treat to sleep on in the right temps....that is what I would do with that 2nd story porch. Mine was converted to a master bath and closet years ago. I would love to see inside pics! Mine has 10+ ft ceilings and 9 ft pocket doors and some original transoms....We laugh because it was in the wrong neighborhood old and has a pool....all things on the NO list....LOL we fell in love!
2 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 8:52PM
lindamarie1
I'll post some pics for you to see the inside.
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 5:02AM
Ann Smitt
lindamarie - I'm sorry you're selling your beautiful home. Good luck on your next move. Tip: Hire a LOCAL Home Stager. They are the experts and can stage your exterior and interior for quick sale in this tough housing market.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 5:33AM
Ann Smitt
lindamarie - I'm sorry you're selling your beautiful home. Good luck on your next move. Tip: Hire a LOCAL Home Stager. They are the experts and can stage your exterior and interior for quick sale in this tough housing market.
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 5:33AM
barbellis
I'm not sure if you're saying you painted the whole house one color? If not, how about shutters on the side to match the color at the top to bring some balance? Otherwise how about posting a current photo.
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 5:36AM
PRO
Michael Eric Dale
the dormer windows are really sad replacements. Do you have a photo of how the windows originally looked? Does your local library perhaps have WPA photos? I would guess the windows either were 3 lites over 3 or perhaps even had a special pattern consisting of an x with + superimposed. Those windows are more of a focal point than you realize and in their present state take away from the home's appearance.
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 7:07AM
kahartman
Leave the foundation as is. It looks great! This from an artists point of view concerning the gray on the top side of the house: I think the gray makes the house look too chopped up. I would paint it totally the yellow color on the sides. There was no good spot to break the color and that is why I think it should be one solid color.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 8:07AM
Mik
i have an 1880 myself. Suggest little landscap in front and new looking brick front steps need to blend in with foundation around. House paint is fine. Porch homey feel would be nice too. Happy holiday from KY.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 9:02AM
victorianbungalowranch
I sympathcize linda marie 1. I had to use the old photo for the Photoshop redo because the other one wouldn't save as a whole facade--so don't get confused. I added in the white facia, but lett the porch and the top rail dark to give it a bit more visual weight, but similiar colors, like the Dolphin perhaps, could have a similar effect.

The grout stain would just be to tone down the patchy spots where it was repointed on the main house. I think it would be better for the steps too, but that is quite a lot of work and at least those are uniform.

Then I put a mid-tone olive green on the door and the dormer to try to balance the various tones.

I can't tell from the photos what color the porch floor is in comparison to the side shingles, but that color or the green from the doors could be used on the railing and the baseboard trim under the porch. The colors are not exact, so you will have to use your imagination to pick the right shade, but a range of greens tending toward the olive (with some yellow) that is dark enough to contrast with the yellow siding, but distincltly different from the Dolphin, would work.

Other points:

Dormer:
I agree with Micheal Dale that the dormer windows are all wrong, and am unsure if a darker color would just highlight that. And the difference with the side siding bothers me too. Maybe painting all white or light yellow to exactly match the old siding would help--it just looks off. You might look into pop-in window grills. Not as nice as the real thing, but they would be better than nothing.

Curtains:
Dressing up the dormer windows with a nicely scalloped bottom shade pulled part of the way down would help too. Nice white drapes/sheers in the front windows firtst floor windows could help too. and maybe some cafe curtains on the side can really make the house look more inviting and less blank.

Color placement:

It is extremely common for this era house to have a dark top and a light bottom. Very,very seldom was it done the other way around. I admit it looks a bit top heavy on the side, and that is because the house has lost its thick window casings, beltline, and drip boards. The bump out and the little gable on the side of the porch roof could be painted the Dolphin to balance it out a bit better. A nice trellis on the side could help too. And I would paint out the utility meters to blend in better with the brick

I dislike fake shutters on a historic house, and installing them could damage the siding. But I have to admit that they do help balance things out better and may be a good compromise. if they are sized properly as shown by barbellis. .

I did suggest painting the brackets, but without repeating that color, it might look even more top heavy. Might be nice someday, not neccessary now.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 10:11AM
victorianbungalowranch
Can't figure out how to get BM color swatches on here. Any tips anyone?

I know I posted a lot on this, but it gets complicated to explain in words and I get the feeling you want to just have someone lead you by the hand and get it over with.

It is not too bad now actually, just a little tweaking. Perhaps just painting the front door will do it good enough.

FRONT

I think the porch floor is dark brown--is that correct? Leave as is--nice to have the dark color to ground it and contrast with trim. Sorry, but I really do think a darker color is much better on the baseboard than the white--paint just it (not the porch floor) Dolphin or back to the original color

The top rail was brown but now white? OK as is, or could paint Dolphin or paint green to match door. Do baseboard and door first.

Door--a green, perhaps one of these: (Benjamine Moore $60-70 a gallon)

Herb Garden 434
Forest Hills Green 433
Alligator Alley 441
Great Barrington Green HC-122

The dormer is giving me fits, so maybe leave it as is (or paint green like the door) and add the window shades (white thermal fringed) $27-40 each, depending on width, cut to size:

JCP http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/for-the-home/departments/window-treatments/in-home-services/custom-decorating-/resource-center/savannah-cut-to-width-fringed-thermal-roller-shade/

Mortar Stain: BEHR 1-Gal. Acrylic Deep Base Concrete Stain $26

Urns: $15 at Home Depot or similar. Fill with gravel and pine boughs, twigs.

Inexpensive throw rugs ($10-$20 each) and a decent entrance mat ($20-35) $50-100

Curtains--Goodwill $2-3 each or borrow some of your own

Porch Chairs--free if you have some to loan. Maybe some cushions on clearance $10 or so each.

TOTAL COST: about $250-$300

SIDE:

Composite Trellis: $15-$20 Home Depot or similar

Dolphin Gray (still have paint? bottom four rows all around the house ($60-70 gallon plus primer--maybe more depending on coverage)

OR, just paint bump out and porch roof area. or do the bump out alone in green to match door, or with bottom band for rest of house.

AND/OR 1-3 sets of proper sized shutters,

Painted green or Dolphin, plus some for the other side, maybe the back--perhaps just for the ground floor windows (shutters were used as an accent, doesn't have to go on every window). About $30-60 each at Home Depot or similar--prefer the raised panel versus the louvers. Only comes in 15" widths, so may not look right. Fake shutter dogs (holdbacks) are $28 each--looks much better with them..

Cost--about $100-$250 or so, depending on how many you get. Get just a two sets (one for each side or side and back ) with the shutter dogs, about $150,

JUST PAINT and trellis: $50-150, depending on how much paint and primer you have to buy, and how much painting you do.

SHUTTERS $100-250, depending on how many and options picked

GRAND TOTAL--Whole house: $350-$500+ depending on options picked
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 1:59PM
drf0001
The color above the top floor windows looks like it would match the brick.Maybe you could trim the brickmold around the windows in that color.Looks like a copper. Maybe replace the brown with this copper color. add some shutters.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 6:52PM
lindamarie1
Just to clear any misconception due to before "and" after photos, here are 3 pics taken this morning.
Thanks to all who have offered their suggestions
victorianbugalow, I will disect your opinions, I think there are some great, inexpensive suggestions that will impact the curb appeal greatly (this must have taken you awhile, thank you!) btw, the porch is a light gray. The shutters as well as the trellis on the side absolutely add appeal to the house however, shutters on each side of the home wouldn't be considered odd?
michael, I do not have access to original photos of the top floor windows. We are not restoring the house to its original state merely updating it and attempting to do it with some interest in keeping with the neighborhood, which by the way, is vastly comprised of home owners do the same.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 6:30AM
lindamarie1
Tried to remove a picture, how do you do that after attaching one? Obviously, I couldn't figure it out.....
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 6:31AM
lindamarie1
victorianbugalow; the porch is brown not gray.....
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 6:46AM
barbellis
I don't see why shutters on each side of the house might seem odd...if it looks good. The only place on the sides that I see that shutters might be a problem is the small window near the side door. I hadn't seen that side of the house before.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 7:00AM
barbellis
I don't see why shutters on each side of the house might seem odd...if it looks good. The only place on the sides that I see that shutters might be a problem is the small window near the side door. I hadn't seen that side of the house before. Perhaps that area would work with a trellis.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 7:00AM
lindamarie1
victorianbungalow; you're suggesting getting two sets of shutters and use shutter dogs on each. That is only one window per side?
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 7:10AM
lindamarie1
Yes, I like the shutters my concern was shuttering only one or two of the windows, leaving one, or two without.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 7:17AM
lindamarie1
I'm receiving duplicate messages from posters, is anyone else?
1 Like   December 3, 2012 at 7:19AM
lindamarie1
Here are two photos of the interior; one of the foyer after sheetrock/plaster and paint is completed. The plan is to paint the balusters white, I would like to keep them darker. We are refinishing the floors and putting a natural stain on them. The other photo goes into the livingroom/diningroom, aren't the pocket doors cool?
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 7:35AM
reginacpa
Oops those pics didn't come through!
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 7:37AM
lindamarie1
it helps if I attach right?
1 Like   December 3, 2012 at 7:51AM
victorianbungalowranch
Personally, fake shutters are my least favorite option for your limited funds. They do add up, and the window pattern is irregular on the sides. I would go for a trellis on the right side of the house, and maybe an awning over the door on the other side and concentrate on paint and other inexpensive fixes.

I'm working on a rendering what just additng some paint as suggested above can do--I know you don't want to paint the siding, but it will just be in strategic spots to gild the lilly as it were, mostly confined to the ground floor.

Having a nice sunny day sure helps! It is looking pretty good already! I like the French door in front too.

Drat, I have to use the old file. You have to repost the question for anyone to work with full-sized photos because the resolution is so low. I'm checking your project books too. If you post the photos there, then I can save them at full resolution, and it would be better for you too to see the details.

Take heart, I think you are almost there!
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 8:03AM
reginacpa
LOVE the crown molding and arched doors...these are interior shots of ours. Please keep in mind this is NOT our furniture....I wouldn't keep a bar in the foyer...maybe in my 20s...but I'm definitely beyond the animal house frat house look now. The dining room furniture is not ours either...but chandeliers and mirrors stay...YAY!
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 8:03AM
reginacpa
Lindamarie...I obviously have the same picture problems as you! LOL couldn't delete a duplicate. Here is what I tried to post!
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 8:06AM
victorianbungalowranch
I don't understand--aren''t the spindels on the stairs already white? Yes, refinishing the newel posts and the treads would be very nice. A runner would be the finishing touch. Love those old pocket doors.

I don't like high gloss finishes. Every little imperfection shows. They are more durable, so the first coats can be high gloss and the top a matte or semi. Poly scratches though. Some swear by Marine Varnish (really a poly) but some say that is only for areas with high humidity and water issues. There are some new European type finishes out there that have characteristics of both--high wear and more natural looking. And there is a return to Amber Shellac, which is green and easily touched up, but not terribly water resistant.

It is worth checking various options with a professional, not just the guy at the home improvement store. You can ask for quotes and the products they would use.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 8:26AM
alwaysdesigning
I think all you might be misisng is some "headbanding" on the exterior and some weighty trims around the windows. Looks great. Good luck
[houzz=exterior]
[houzz=Bella Homes]
[houzz=Craftsman Home]
[houzz=Sears Craftsman in Del Ray]
[houzz=AA Trueline Construction Services Inc.]
alwaysdesigning
I think all you might be misisng is some "headbanding" on the exterior and some weighty trims around the windows. Looks great. Good luck
[houzz=exterior]
[houzz=Bella Homes]
[houzz=Craftsman Home]
alwaysdesigning
[houzz=exterior]
[houzz=Bella Homes]
[houzz=Craftsman Home]
Robyn
I love your house, very quaint. If it were mine, I would put hayrack style window boxes off the second floor porch, 2 large ones or an expandable one all the way across. In my old house, I used the hayrack style ones with coco fiber and in the winter, fill it with greenery and berries and in the warm months, sweetpotato vine and flowers. You can use them down below as well. http://cdn.kinsmangarden.com/images/thumb/KC26.jpg (this picture shows an expandable one, same one I used in my old house, and it worked wonders)
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 8:31AM
sandrapratt
I love you home it reminds me very much of the praire or mission style that Frank Lloyd Wright was so famous for.
I would do the first floor railing the same as the second floor & put in planter boxes across the railing of both. That way you could add season colors & plants to add more interest.
If you would rather go a less expensive route add horizontal pieces of would between the vertical railing in a pattern to add interest to the bottom railing & add a wider ledge to the top edge.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 9:53AM
lindamarie1
victorianbungalow; where do you want me to repost, my project books (idea books)?
I like awning idea over pedestrian door, black rounded with scalloped edges maybe to coordinate with the upstairs blinds? Yes, the spindles are white but they're talking about paining "all" of it white including balusters. We "never" put high gloss anything in our houses, ewww.
Robyn, I love window boxes but, being winter it's and not living there it's hard to keep them up. Of course now for Christmas they could be made spectacular.
Sandrapratt, I also like the vertical siding idea, I've seen that before and haven't given it a thought since we didn't side the house ourselves.
Great ideas, love the interaction here!
Regina, what's wrong with a bar in the foyer, less steps to take at 5:00 after "one of those days".....lol?
1 Like   December 3, 2012 at 1:54PM
lindamarie1
I'm not familiar with the term headbanding, I'm presuming it is the exterior trim between floors?
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 2:06PM
victorianbungalowranch
The colors of any awnings should coordinate with the house colors, not inside blinds or curtains.

So if you are doing a green door, then green with a yellow stripe with a bit of Dolphin type grey and a bit of dark brown, or a similar combination could be nice. Porch valances are another way to add a bit of color to a house and could match the side valance and pull it all together. I'm not sure how much that would cost, but it could look fantastic.That might help with the balance and increase the visual weight of the porch of the house, especially with a dark base, not the white one..

Create a new project book and post your various house photos. Then I can use an updated photo for any rendering rather than an old one.
1 Like   December 3, 2012 at 3:07PM
lindamarie1
I was referring to the slight scallop edging of the blinds only.
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 4:34AM
lindamarie1
Victorianbungalow; I loaded the photos to a new project book. We are painting the dormer today in the Dolphin color.
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 6:55AM
victorianbungalowranch
OK, I'll take a look tomorrow! Hope you loke the results of painting the dormer. How are you getting up there? Cheick the flashing and caulking whilte you are there.
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 8:53PM
Parul Jain
can u help me in my project pls
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 12:32AM
Parul Jain
me dng architecture i want sm grt ides to make my design and interor look oosum
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 12:34AM
lindamarie1
I'm wondering if painting the dormer Dolphin will add to the top heaviness of the house, perhaps having a color made to match the existing siding would be better.
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 4:30AM
lindamarie1
Thought I would put up some photos of what the house looked like when we started demolition for everyone that would like to follow the project.
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 6:14AM
lindamarie1
Above photos are living room into foyer, foyer into hall/dining room, kitchen is obvious (cabinets going in today) and, the third floor with the problem dormer and associated
windows which are getting grids today.
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 6:30AM
lindamarie1
Parul Jain,
What do you need help with?
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 8:01AM
victorianbungalowranch
Here's some renderings with the Dolphin dormer (I hope the color is not too heavy):

1) A painted white beltline (originally a trim board, but faked by painting two rows of siding, lined up to match the molding on the top of the bump out) should go all around the house. Don't have to mask--just keep a bucket of water and some rags or a sponge to quickly wipe any goofs.

2) A painted drip board--two bottom rows of siding, in Dolphin, painted all around the house, perhaps continuing as sort of a baseboard for the porch area.

3) Dolphin painted bump out (Optional, but I think it would look great.

3) Options with the white trim board under the porch (current) with the brown to match porch floor (past) and with Dolphin. I prefer the darker options. May have to copy onto computer and blow up to see difference. (Not sure of exact tonalities in the sun for the Dolphin on the dormer and porch--can look quite a bit lighter than on side I think. I wonder if it is too heavy for the dormer and too light for under the porch. A related but darker version might be a possibility)

4) Dolphin top rails on porch

5) Bright brick red front door. I like the green too, but this will have more of a punch and brings the red color up. I would paint all doors this color, maybe even the storms. Or the storms could be Dolphin.

6) Doesn't show on this, but I would paint the thin front entry trim outlining the door and sidelights Dolphin too. Keep the white for the sidelights and the panels below the sidelights.

7) Awning: Crestview makes wood awnings (I have very old wood awnings on my house actually--probably date to the 40s or so) and that could be a good option for the side in Dolphin, possibly with a bit of red or whit highlight (just two wood strips painted perhaps--paint red, run a line of painters tape over down the center, and then paint white) Or go with a canvas one. You will have to call to get prices or find a local dealer. http://www.crestviewdoors.com/browse/products/easy-up-awnings.html

Anyway, I think the paint like this will be enough to help balance it out. It restores some of the detailling it probably had originally and keeps the sides from looking so flat. Even just doing the detail painting on the front porch will help.

I also found a millwork catalogue with your front door in it. I really like the style.
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 2:37PM
Mik
i personally like it better without the trim board painted white.... still looks very nice. M
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 4:16PM
sandrapratt
The house colors look great.!! You did a great job.
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 5:30AM
lindamarie1
Victorian; are you using photoshop?
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 8:15AM
Parul Jain
NO ME NT
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 8:20AM
lindamarie1
Can you speak in English?
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 8:23AM
lindamarie1
Can you post a picture of what you need help with?
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 8:24AM
reginacpa
Parul,
You might try using DISCUSSIONS at the top of the page and start your own thread with photos of the space you are decorating and a clear question of what you need. You will find many people willing to help. If you are studying architechture and just want interesting ideas, you might peruse the PHOTOS section of houzz.com instead to get ideas.
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 8:27AM
Parul Jain
OK
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 8:36AM
Parul Jain
OK
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 8:38AM
Parul Jain
ACTUALLY i hv to prepare my portfolio for training so can u tell me wht all i hv to attach in that
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 8:39AM
reginacpa
Parul, this isn't the best forum for that discussion. You might try doing that in discussions and posting photos of your portfolio there.
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 8:40AM
Parul Jain
ok thanks
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 8:57AM
Parul Jain
pls one more question ...... u people are critics ??
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 8:59AM
Parul Jain
sorriii
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 9:05AM
victorianbungalowranch
Well, maybe I should have used the word "could" rather than would. All of it is optional, including the white middle trimboard, and it probably would be less bright than pictured. The orignal was probably a little narrower and slightly higher, but I was trying to work with the existing siding.

The bump-out is optional too, or could be white--and I think the apparent difference in planes would be greater in real life. I do think the bottom trim helps with the transition from the brick and helps ground the building, and the front should be dark rather than white under the porch..

I used Photoshop for my first posting and Microsoft Picture-It for the second. I find Picture-it easier for adding and changing structures and moving and resizing stuff to paste in or copy, but Photoshop is better for color matching and texture, and experimenting with different color combinations. I have an old version of Picture-it so I am thinking about updating to see if they have expanded the masking and color controls. It is great for a quick collage of photos too, and much cheaper than Photoshop, and doesn't seize up my computer like Photoshop can..

I discovered that it is best to insert or draw shapes with the bounding box and fill in with the approx color, magic wand select it, and then brush over it in transparent layers on top. I do that in Photoshop too, and compensate for perspective, so it takes a bit of fiddling around to make it look somewhat right, esp. in shadow areas.
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 9:05AM
lindamarie1
My daughter uses photoshop and said she'd help me with the learning curve. I tried using Benjamin Moore's personal color viewer, and my computer just about went flying across the room.
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 9:40AM
lindamarie1
We painted the door Great Barrington Gray, what do you all think?
2 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 5:56PM
lindamarie1
What about black?
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 5:08AM
apennameandthata
Before worrying about colour, I's make sure that the elements of the house are true to the period. For example, did they really have boards on the top balcony and pickets on the lower balcony? Maybe they did. I would make it flow in black and white photographs first.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 5:38AM
victorianbungalowranch
It is a lot to read through, but they are selling and did not want to change the siding that much and was afraid that uncovering the 2nd foor railings would be one of those little turned big projects.

Actually craftsman style houses did have enclosed railings, usually combined with masonry piers. Was it originally like this? Probably not.

Lindamarie, I see you painted the trim under the porch gray, so that looks much better, and makes the address and columns stand out more. The green door looks good with the new light fixtures. . Nice to see it clearly now. Did you paint the porch floor too? Looks like you changed your mind on the dormer, which is probably good.

I think I would like the green of the door on the top railing. The grey just isn't quite warm and heavy enough of a color. Not terrble or anything, just needs a bit of something. Try those inexpensive urns with the greenery--will dress it up all winter and make it look less bare. Another chair and a little table on the porch will cozy it up a bit.

If the temps are dipping below 50, I would call off painting for awhile. The paint can fail, wihich is a huge mess. Make sure the temp is OK early in the day so it has time to dry and finish what you started.

It looks like some trim is sagging on the top porch on the far right. Little stuff like that drags a house down.
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 12:01PM
lindamarie1
So, you think the green is the right green and not too bright? I'm more accustomed to the subtle tones (black always looks good to me) so it's a bit out of my comfort zone. The temps are okay off and on for painting, think we're going to get our landscape in this weekend.
Yes, I see the trim and I'll check that out.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 12:28PM
lindamarie1
Dormer is getting siding color and, porch will be painted when the construction traffic slows down.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 12:30PM
TanCalGal
Nice. I'd spring for better quality larger house numbers. Like this house shows. I'd place the house numbers as this photo shows, too, the numbers near the door will draw the eyes up to the nice front door area and not the less attractive stair area.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 1:23PM
lindamarie1
Lol, yes we are not planning on keeping the flowered/ceramic numbers on the porch.
1 Like   December 10, 2012 at 1:28PM
victorianbungalowranch
The green is definately not too bright. If you look at old house drawings, they were definately not afraid of a little color, and being under a deep porch it has to be a bit brighter than usual for it to show up.

Definately better to have the numbers higher up on the house, perhaps left of the door. I got some nice old-fashioned but classic house numbers from Home Depot and it made a huge difference. They were basic Roman style font, but with a bit of flair to them. With the siding, it might be easier to put them on a board first.

We tried brass with a black plaque on our current house, but it looked terrible and was hard to read. My husband thought it would be brighter and easier to read, but it wasn't. We now have a solar lighted numbers--a compromis because so many people have trouble finding us.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 2:24PM
lindamarie1
VBR (I hope this abbreviation is okay with you)
I will check them out next time in HD, which lately is daily. Thank you for all your help, I cannot wait to get it done.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 2:29PM
lindamarie1
My husband just told me he's planning on getting a black plaque with "white" numbers. I would like to see this reversed......
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 2:32PM
lindamarie1
We are refinishing the existing pine floors, very narrow 2 l/2" in width and are very yellow/orange in color. We have painted the interior walls BM Anew Gray with Shell White trim and this color floors will not work. What stain color would be recommended to give a darker, but not too dark, walnut looking finish?
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 2:38PM
victorianbungalowranch
Maybe you should start a new thread on that. Amber shellac and varnish is a historic finish that is regaining popularity because it is green, but it isn't really water resistant. However, ours is at least 50 years old and still going strong.

Not an expert on wood finishes. Poly looks plasticy and scratches. Have a friend who swears by their Marine Varnish, but that is normally not recommended for indoors. There are some European type finishes that are supposed to be inbetween a wax and a varnish (not Danish Oil). Maybe you can get some flooring guys in for a quote and ask what they use.
0 Likes   December 10, 2012 at 2:59PM