Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with stone choice
cesullie22
November 18, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi,
I am remodeling a bathroom and plan to use the vein cut travertine and accent tile below.
My decorator is suggesting using the granite "lava" for my countertops
I'm a little concerned that the end product will be to busy, since both stones have so much movement.
Any opinions would be appreciated
Thanks
C
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Leigh Durand
I agree with you that the proposed countertop will
be too busy with your travertine! I prefer a "spa" feeling and would personally prefer a solid colour countertop, for an ahhhhhhh... feeling.
November 19, 2012 at 3:23PM     
jjost
Lava has quite a bit of contrast and will command a lot of attention.
Use one or the other, not both.
November 19, 2012 at 3:34PM     
olldcan
Both the vein cut travertine and the granite are lovely. I'd be more concerned about the busy mosaic accent tile. It seems so out of place (very man made) when nature has provided the other two patterns.
Whats the floor tile in front of the granite, on my monitor it looks like the right tone for the granite.
November 19, 2012 at 6:50PM   
Kimberly
C, I agree with you (too busy).
November 19, 2012 at 7:51PM   
olldroo
Pleeeezze don't use the granite. Your travertine is more than enough. The accent tile is fine too but only in small doses. How are you planning on using it? I don't know what end result you are hoping for but I have just finished my ensuite in a tile similar in colour and design to your travertine and I painted untiled areas and the vanity in the main colour of the tiles. The vanity top is a plain cream corian. Everyone who sees it loves it, it is so simple fresh and clean, I wouldn't change a thing. Unfortunately I can't post any photos to show you at this time.
November 20, 2012 at 2:21AM   
PRO
Dawn Hearn Interior Design
I agree with jjost, the granite is so dramatic you might want a more subtle tile, or if staying with the travertine tiles, a more subtle counter.
November 20, 2012 at 2:35AM   
cesullie22
Thanks everyone,for your advice. It confirms what i was thinking!
As much as i love the vein cut travertine, my fabricator has already picked up the slab, so im going to go with a plainer cross cut travertine on the floors, shower and tub deck
November 20, 2012 at 6:10AM   
olldcan
That will be beautiful, please post pics when your done.
November 20, 2012 at 8:13AM   
olldcan
That will be beautiful, please post pics when your done.
November 20, 2012 at 8:14AM   
cesullie22
Will do
Thanks!
C
November 20, 2012 at 5:01PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.