Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with privacy screening in small back yard
pdfolkman
November 19, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Want to block 2nd floor window of house behind us, our fence is only 6' tall. New construction so trees won't provide screening for several years.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
Depending on how windy your backyard is, you could do a combination of these two looks: [houzz=Sun Shades at Dining Terrace]

Set on an angle, like this: [houzz=Walkabout Exterior]
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 3:09AM
pdfolkman
Oh yes, wind is an issue here in N Tx. A little more detail, south facing back porch so I don't want to block the winter sun, just the window of the house behind us. Thanks for the recommendation though!
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 3:47AM
lefty47
HI -- Talk to a landscape tree nursery and buy the biggest tree they can provide -- an evergreen would be best . They will plant it in the right place to block that window . Other than that all you could do is have a shed style roof garden room built something like a carport with the slope backed to the other house and the open side to face into your yard. If your city allows 8 foot fencing then you could add a fence topper to make the fence taller.
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 5:48AM
PRO
Dytecture
Consider building a trellis like structure above your deck for some instant privacy.

2 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 6:10AM
pdfolkman
Thanks for the input! We'll probably end up with a combo of man-made structure and plants. Even considering an outdoor fireplace which would serve dual purposes, warmth & screening.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 3:00AM
Ute Faber
Looks like the perfect place for a pergola with retractable canopy and louvres. http://www.outdoorlivingtoday.com/oltss/storefront/products.php?category=pergolas
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 1:18PM
Ute Faber
12x20 Cedar Pergola Kit from Outdoor Living Today.com
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 1:19PM
mpoulsom
I think I would wait until the house is actually built....Your neighbors may only be able to see your roof looking down from that angle...does that make since??? If it is still an issue I like the pergola and angled roof ideas posted above!
2 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 1:39PM
victorianbungalowranch
You should check the local zoning ordinance for height restrictions before ordering anything. It is quite common to have fence height restrictions of 6-8 feet in the back and less in the front. Housing developments can have deed restrictions and covennets, and HOAs can have their own requirements for garden structues and such..

A pergola with louvers would allow the wind through and can be angled to allow sun in the winter and to block it in the summer. If you do a search you can find a formula for it according to your latitude. Attaching this to your house or nearby over the patio would help with both issues of light and privacy.

This has options to cool southern exposures (for Scottsdale AZ) with some good illustrations http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/Assets/Public+Website/greenbuilding/PassiveDesign.pdf. This documents the original formula, which would require some more research to find.

With a sunny climate, you might consider solar cells in an awning, which can also generate power, as well as provide shade and privacy.
1 Like   November 24, 2012 at 4:49PM