Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dislike my Bathroom
maryobkeogh
November 19, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi Our bathroom is an awkward shape, really high ceiling and the way the sanitary ware is laid out, means the rest of the space isn't usable for anything. It really doesn't look very good, I'd love some suggestions!
Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
pollyannagal
The white cabinet next to the bath is too tall there and crowds the window - can you swap it with with the smaller brown one? There seems to be a conflict of styles going on with the feminine white cabinet and the masculine brown one. Best to decide on one style and stick to it in a small room. What's behind the cupboard doors - do you really need two cabinets or can you put some of your towels in the cupboard?

Depending on your budget, maybe you could change the basin for a vanity unit with inset basin and storage under as this would make much better use of the space. Not a major job but would make a major difference to the room. I would also put a pair of shallow wall shelves or a couple of pictures either side of the window as this wall is quite symmetrical.

The dark brown walls will emphasise the high ceilings so I would go for a lighter colour.
November 19, 2012 at 6:03AM     
PRO
Dytecture
I agree there are too many free standing storage units in the bathroom. Besides lighting up the walls, consider hanging some pictures art on the wall as well.
November 19, 2012 at 6:15AM     
apple_pie_order
The room would look much better if you replaced all the free standing storage units with shallow cabinets or shelves mounted above the tile. They only need to be as wide as a folded towel. Pollyannagal's suggestion about a larger vanity, perhaps running from wall to wall, would help enormously. Give each family member a drawer in the vanity to avoid squabbles.

A large three way mirror medicine cabinet will give you more storage above the vanity. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/255024-Recessed-Tri-View-Beveled-Edge-Medicine/dp/B001PO7PXU

You haven't mentioned a budget. If you need more room for a vanity, you can move the radiator. You might get a reasonable cost for moving the radiator 6 or 8 inches toward the toilet. Or replace the radiator with the kind that also dry towels if you want a bit more luxury.
November 19, 2012 at 6:41AM     
maryobkeogh
Thanks All. I removed the tall white cabinet as I think you are right, it's too tall. that's made a difference already. The cupboard has shelves for towels and toiletries so the items in both the cabinets are display only! therefore unnecessary. My husband is a carpenter so perhaps I will ask him to make some vanity units - what colour / timber would you recommend?
Also, will find some art to hang on the high wall.....any suggestions?
Thanks!
November 19, 2012 at 12:51PM     
pollyannagal
Sounds like you are making progress and I hope you are liking the room better now - it's actually a nice bathroom so you are lucky. You are also very lucky having such a useful husband so make the most of it and put him to work! I would use a timber similar to the bathroom door as it works well with the tiles and it would give the room a coordinated look. If he's feeling creative maybe combining it with an inlay or trim of a darker timber to pick up the window frames would look good, otherwise just go for a contrasting top.
November 19, 2012 at 2:11PM     
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
There are a lot of free standing furniture in the bathroom. One way to eliminate that and maximize the space...would be to do a new sink area. I suggest getting a vanity with lower storage, and removing the free standing cabinets.
November 19, 2012 at 2:13PM     
Natalie
Hi---in addition to what others have suggested-I definitely think there is too much contrast with colors and patterns in a space this size. Start by changing the upper wall color to a hue one shade darker or lighter than the lower tiles or accent tiles---paint the upper walls and sloped ceilings the same color. Try to limit your prints, colors, and patterns to 2 or 3-you have solid white, red, brown, florals, stripes, animal prints, etc. Way too much!
Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
November 19, 2012 at 9:33PM     
maryobkeogh
thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it! Pollyannagal, I like your suggestions re built ins - let me see how I go with that! Natalie, thanks also, I removed the conflicting patterns and took out both cabinets, I also want to paint the upper wall colour - I'll post updated pics when I've done that piece.
Is it starting to look better? Should I remove the stool also?
November 20, 2012 at 3:38AM     
Natalie
I like the little stool-it or a basket could work. Painting those walls is sure to make a HUGE difference. Looking so much better already. Good Luck!
November 20, 2012 at 4:08AM     
pollyannagal
So lovely to see your updates and it is looking much better already. I agree that painting is the next step and then some pictures. A pair of sepia toned shell prints would go well. When you paint the wall move the cleat for the blind cord to just above the tiles so that it goes straight down not across the wall, and trim the cord to the shortest practical length you can. It you tie a little loop in the cord near the end you can loop it back up and hook it on the cleat so there's less dangly bits.

I would move your shells to the left a bit so they are in front of the fixed window pane which will frame them better. Love the raspberry bath mat - a matching hand towel would look good and link the colours across the room. The stool is good there; it adds warmth and helps to dress the room but I would only use 3 towels. Less is more but you don't want a bare room. A nice big bottle of raspberry coloured bubble bath on the corner of the bath would be an inviting touch.
November 20, 2012 at 6:01AM     
momof5x
I think you need extra lighting , perhaps near the mirror or maybe if you paint the walls white it will brighten up the bathroom. You could also hang towels bar on the door and make use of that space.
November 20, 2012 at 6:04AM     
maryobkeogh
Thank you for the suggestions Pollyannagal I made those adjustments and agree re the blind cord - so you know, I only used that cleat because it was already there! in fact, that's a lot of my challenge throughout the house is using existing fixtures that are not quite right and don't do the item justice.
Looking forward to the paint job! and yes I'll pick up the bubble bath and hand towel also!
November 20, 2012 at 6:48AM   
pollyannagal
There are always so many things to change when you buy a house but it's often the small things that make a big difference. I'm so glad to see your enthusiasm to make these changes and think it's amazing that people can help each other in this way.
November 20, 2012 at 6:59AM   
maryobkeogh
me too, I think it's fantastic! thanks so much!
November 20, 2012 at 7:39AM   
Madeline
Hi, Just a thought...because you luckily have a carpenter/husband, maybe he could remove the tile and install greenboard behind your mirror for a clean look. (Remove the tile CAREFULLY so what is removed could be used in other areas should you need it. FOR EXAMPLE if you wanted to change out or remove the present towel holder to the left of the sink wall.). This suggestion would basically bring the tile behind the pedestal sink into alignment with the adjacent wall for a more defined look. Then of course the wall would be painted to match.

But consider the following BEFORE the new section of wall goes up: Installing all-important lighting will be so much easier when the wall is open to bring the electricity required. Placing a great sconce on each side of the mirror is upgrade made (possible) easier because the wall is open. AND because the placement of the studs will be evident your husband could install a recessed medicine cabinet in a snap. (I think someone already suggested a tri-view mirrored cabinet). This would give you important storage for your daily essentials and un-clutter your pedestal sink. I would definitely also strongly consider opting for a new modern faucet while you're redoing this wall (and if it's in the budget). Great well-made faucets can be had on eBay or Amazon for a song. You would have a well-lighted uncluttered look to brighten your day and I'm certain your husband is fully capable of this and would probably also love the results.
Good luck, madeline
November 21, 2012 at 9:38AM   
janishill
Hello Mary! Did you paint the bathroom? I am wondering about the latest updates and pictures of all your rooms. You worked so hard adn everything looked great. It would be nice to see all you have accomplished. I miss 'talking' with you.
December 13, 2012 at 4:53AM   
maryobkeogh
Hi Janis! I was just thinking about you yesterday! I am very thankful for all your advice and support. I have been enjoying the changes and decorating (carefully!) for Christmas! I haven't done any painting yet but hopefully next week before the holidays. I'll post some current pics later today!
December 13, 2012 at 5:15AM     
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I would switch out your pedestal sink and install a cabinet that will work for your storage to eliminate the need for all the shelving. It could extend wall to wall (depending on how deep it is for the radiator) and really give a nice surface to work on as well.
December 13, 2012 at 5:19AM     
janishill
Mary, I am very glad to hear from you. I think of you often. It hurt me terribly when that unthoughtful person said what she said. I can only imagine how it must have hurt you.

I would love to see how you have decorated for Christmas. I am almost certain there are differences between how our 2 countries do it.

Take care and looking forward to seeing updated posts in the near future.
December 13, 2012 at 5:34AM   
maryobkeogh
Hi Janis, attached some shots of the rooms (library / tv room to follow). some items are still WIP, such as moving the paintings closer in the kitchen, and hanging those in the sitting room, also changing the storage baskets in playroom to a more suitable shade....
December 13, 2012 at 8:21AM     
janishill
Oh my, Mary. It all looks so good.

Is there room in the front hall for the red chair? Can it go on the stone wall? I can just see it set up as a cozy sitting area or book nook.
December 13, 2012 at 8:35AM   
maryobkeogh
that's a great idea Janis!
December 13, 2012 at 8:37AM   
janishill
You must post a picture. :-)

If we ever get to Ireland I am going to come visit you!!!
December 13, 2012 at 9:07AM   
maryobkeogh
current library picture....
December 13, 2012 at 9:31AM     
maryobkeogh
Janis, if you ever come to Ireland, you are most welcome. my email address is maryobrienkeogh@yahoo.ie keep me posted!
December 13, 2012 at 1:10PM   
janishill
I doubt it will be any time soon. We stay so busy with our business: www.PetAssist.com
But it could happena dn if it does I will let you know for sure. I am adding you to my address book. :-)
December 13, 2012 at 1:27PM   
charleee
If your husband is a carpenter, perhaps he could do something like this for storage: [houzz=
]
December 13, 2012 at 2:05PM